It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah's an "Oreo", Says Rapper 50 Cent

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice
They said the same things about General Colin Powell and I've heard them say it about other successful Black Americans.

I'll say that Colin Powell is an Oreo because he made his political success on the backs of black people, ad cared very little for the African American community. This is evident in his full complience in the Bush administration that this is true. The same goes for his son.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Its his opinion. I already see him as a complete moron, so Im not too surprised. If oprah wanted to call him an oreo, fine, thats just one more comment from a person I don't care about as it is.

Honestly I don't understand why some famous persons words get quoted like they mean something. If some guy on the street called oprah an oreo, I doubt it would be a on public news. I can see if a politician says something, but an actor or singer? What they say is irrelevent to me. If they act good, Ill watch their movies. If they sing/rap good and have good lyrics I like, I'll listen to it. What they say outside of their job is worthless and meaningless to me.

O and to skyway, Ive met more educated rappers then you, and if you want to label rappers, then your about as ignorant as 50 cent is.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I will try my best not to offend anyone here and im sorry if I do , but he doesnt even have the right definition of Oreo... its a person who has a black and white parent, therefore being a mix of the two races.... and I believe oprah is corrupting just as much as anyone.

By the way, not all rappers are "foul" as you so bluntly put, and maybe if you knew anything at all in what it took to make a beat you would be changing your tune. Now i do not like most rap, but there are definately a few hip hop acts that are definately worth listening to. these are the people who talk/rap about real issues , not drinkin 40's, gettin ho's and popping caps or whatever... thats gangsta rap, which yea is def. crap.

link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by SkyWay
Rot singers are my word for Rap singers also known as HipHop. Their noise is horrible and foul like things rotting and reeking. So, I choose to describe them as rot.

If that's te case, may I politely ask again that you not make hasty generalizations of groups that you likely kow very little about past what you've seen on TV. I find it offensive. Please make specific charges against specific individuals. Go ahead and rag on 50 cent, but don't lump him in ith Dead Prez.

Let me put it this way...I can't listen for more than a few seconds to rot singers without feeling nauseous. Once in a while they will pop up on some show that I am tuned into and as soon as they start with their vulgar singing I switch to another program...even if it's Oprah. I can certainly endure her show much more than rot singers. So I have never listened long enough to learn the names of rot singers. There is one that is often mentioned that calls himself m&m or something like that. That is more than I care to know about them.

link   

If that's te case, may I politely ask again that you not make hasty generalizations of groups that you likely kow very little about past what you've seen on TV. I find it offensive. Please make specific charges against specific individuals. Go ahead and rag on 50 cent, but don't lump him in ith Dead Prez.

Lol, just as a side note. Immortal technique might have been a better choice since Dead Prez is racist. They have some good stuff without a doubt, but to say they haven't had some racist stuff in their songs would be a lie.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Let me put it this way...I can't listen for more than a few seconds to rot singers without feeling nauseous. Once in a while they will pop up on some show that I am tuned into and as soon as they start with their vulgar singing I switch to another program...even if it's Oprah. I can certainly endure her show much more than rot singers. So I have never listened long enough to learn the names of rot singers. There is one that is often mentioned that calls himself m&m or something like that. That is more than I care to know about them.

Just by reading your few statements I can tell you have no motive to see rap music from a larger picture. You turn on MTV, see what they call "a rapper" and decide all rap. Instead of investigating further to see that all the music isn't like that, you are happy with the ignorance you have become accustom to. I suggest not making your way to ATS and sticking here at BTS.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Just by reading your few statements I can tell you have no motive to see rap music from a larger picture. You turn on MTV, see what they call "a rapper" and decide all rap. Instead of investigating further to see that all the music isn't like that, you are happy with the ignorance you have become accustom to. I suggest not making your way to ATS and sticking here at BTS.

I just have better taste in music. If you can endure to wallow in audio mire of swine then your taste is something which I will gladly remain unfamiliar with. Filth appeals only to vermin.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by SkyWay]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about racism. After the Micheal "Kramer" Richards' incident wherein he used the "N" - word, I think that I am not alone. But I have been thinking about all aspects of racism; language, culture and stereotypes.

Calling Oprah "a white middle aged woman" is or can be considered as being racist. In my opinion is this comment is racist because Oprah is clearly not a middle-aged white woman. Rapper "50 Cent's" intent in calling Oprah a middle aged white woman was to, somehow, "put Oprah down." The comment was meant to create 'separation' -- not for her color, not for being a woman, and not necessarily even because she is middle-aged. "50 Cent's" was a "slam" against the image that Oprah presents. Yes there was a perceived racist intent....but I question even this intent and, therefore, whether this "racist statement" was indeed racist or anything more than a publicity stunt.

I view Oprah as a woman first. Her show, after all, is demographically aimed at women. The fact that Oprah is black has had a tremendous influence, I believe, in removing many barriers between blacks and whites and, in particular, black and white women. Oprah helped dissolve the stereotypical delineation between black and white women by demonstrating their inherent similarities as women, as humans. The "differences" necessary for racism to exist seem to pale against the common needs, hopes and dreams of women regardless of color. Oprah is almost an Icon of sorts among women of any race within a particular age grouping and within the black community as a "model" or "ideal" of what can be achieved through ambition, perseverance and work. After all, the black community has it's "role models" but few outside of sports and fewer still are those who have not become notorious.

What was the motive behind "50 Cent's" comment? I think that the motive was nothing more than because of commercial interests. "50 Cent" has a vested interest in maintaining the "gangsta" image. This image was carefully crafted to attract teens and young adults to appeal to the "rebellious nature of adolescents". The image attracts the audience and then that audience is bombarded with merchandise from CDs to clothing. This is how "50 Cent" and other Rappers make their money. These rappers, once they "make it big" have to maintain that image for as long as possible --- to eke out every dollar that they can. Then, "Like Ice Tea" and "Ice Cube", if they are lucky, they can evolve. They can mutate their image and their talents into other genres of entertainment or else they will fade away into "musical" obscurity.

Calling Oprah "anything" was nothing more than a statement meant to raise controversy, attract attention and to help "50 Cent" maintain and/or build his image as a gangsta...but don't be too surprised if, in a year or so, we happen to see him on Oprah's show. Hell, they might even hug and kiss and then cook some "chitlin's" together.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The voice of racism preaching the gospel is devilish
A fake church called the prophet Muhammad a terrorist
Forgetting God is not a religion, but a spiritual bond
And Jesus is the most quoted prophet in the Qu'ran
They bombed innocent people, tryin' to murder Saddam
When you gave him those chemical weapons to go to war with Iran
This is the information that they hold back from Peter Jennings
Cause Condoleeza Rice is just a new age Sally Hemmings
I break it down with critical language and spiritual anguish
The Judas I hang with, the guilt of betraying Christ
You murdered and stole his religion, and painting him white
Translated in psychologically tainted philosophy
Conservative political right wing, ideology
Glued together sloppily, the blasphemy of a nation
Got my back to the wall, cause I'm facin' assassination
Guantanamo Bay, federal incarceration
How could this be, the land of the free, home of the brave?
Indigenous holocaust, and the home of the slaves
Corporate America, dancin' offbeat to the rhythm
You really think this country, never sponsored terrorism?
Human rights violations, we continue the saga
El Savador and the contras in Nicaragua
And on top of that, you still wanna take me to prison
Just cause I won't trade humanity for patriotism
- Immortal Technique

If you can call that trash, fine. Not one curse word, or talk about "hos and guns and violence" tyring to be thugs. Enjoy the truth of rap music. That stuff on TV is garbage, but that doesn't mean rap is garbage.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Can't a black woman become rich without being accused of selling out to whitey???

Apparently not. Successful black Americans get this all the time. Black children who dare to do well in inner-city schools get slapped with that label as well.

Although I don't watch her show and don't care for her preaching, I'll say that the woman has done a lot of charity work and has given a whole heck of a lot to African causes. She's a smart business woman who knows what market brings in the money and she goes for it.

She's not an 'oreo'. She's smart in business and she's charitable with African causes. The Rapper doesn't know what the heck he's talking about.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't wish to stray to far off topic, but I would like to add that Oprah's garbage is worth more than rot singer 2bits. Rot singers are the audio version of carrion.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I just have better taste in music. If you can endure to wallow in audio mire of swine then your taste is something which I will gladly remain unfamiliar with. Filth appeals only to vermin.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you calling me vermin? Are you calling people who listen to rap vermin?

FF, Are you black? If so, did you do well in school and end up being called an oreo? have you been dealing with this for a long time?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

FF, Are you black? If so, did you do well in school and end up being called an oreo?

No. My heritage is mostly white.

I had black friends in high school who had been called names at their inner-city schools before being bused out to our school in the suburbs.

In the mostly black city schools they had all tried hard, gotten good grades, and wanted to LEARN. This resulted in them being called 'white' or 'slave' etc etc. They were only considered 'black' if they gave the teachers a hard time or if they failed in their school work. Our school opened up a program called 'project concern' and we had 50 students from the inner cities brought to our school. They were picked by the inner-city school teachers.

The black kids who came to our school were all motivated learners who tried very hard, didn't get into any trouble, and were NICE. I was very happy to see them at our school and was glad to support 'Project Concern' as much as I could.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you calling me vermin? Are you calling people who listen to rap vermin?

FF, Are you black? If so, did you do well in school and end up being called an oreo? have you been dealing with this for a long time?

Hey...if someone can call me ignorant because I wish to keep my distance from ear-garbage then I can categorize them as vermin for loving that garbage. Both are hyperbole really. All I am saying is that I cannot endure the horrible noise that is called rap music. Even without the vulgar lyrics, I cannot stand to listen to that horrible style of music.

No, I am not black and have never been called oreo. But I do not like to hear some lowlife spewing insults at a lady such as Oprah who does so much to help others.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
there we go its not the hate in the music now, now you just hate the music itself. You hate the way its presented. Do you not like words that rhyme? Do you hate things that are computer generated such as the beats. Do you know how hard it is to make those beats? Believe me, Ive tried beat making, its as hard as learning an instrument. Not to mention alot of stuff is computer made, you just don't know that unless they use a instrument that is computer made.

I could make you a song that sounds completely real with a keyboard alone (granted I was good enough to create the song, which I am not, but I go to a school for performing arts, so I know people who make beats. VERY hard stuff)

so you just don't like the rappers themselves then? Has nothing to do with the content of the music, you just don't like them. For some reason I have a feeling it isn't rap music you hate.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Skyway,
please check your u2u

And we can agree on something. 50 Cent is in no position to be calling anyone an oreo.

The way I see it,

He used an opportunity to make a lot of money, forgot where he came from, and that people may need his help. He cares more for money than his community, and he only seems concerned about public opinion. He pays loads of money to lawyers, accountants and managers, who are probably white, then has the balls to say someone else is white on the inside.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Grimreaper, it is the music that I can't stand and the depraved lifestyle of rot music. They are a bunch of loud-foul-mouthed goons in clown clothes that are barely clinging to them. They are disgusting lowlifes...poison to the eyes and ears.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Have you read any of my u2us Sky?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Have you read any of my u2us Sky?

Yes. And I have replied.

I am no big fan of Oprah, but man, who is 50 cent to insult her? Has he ever even met her? Does he know anything about her? She's an American and acts like an American. He is an American and acts like a loud-mouthed brat. People like him think that loud-mouthing is music. All they do is yell and record it and some people have more money than they know what to do with so they spend it on rot-yelling.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Skyway and I have been having a pretty good discussion via u2u, and I've started a thread on the subject here
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

So that we don't hijack this thread, I'd like to ask that discussion about the quality of rap music be directed there.

thanks

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join