It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon is TopGun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowKeeper
Typhoon's have proven that they are the best in their role

Your point is?

When you post a thread like this, you need arguments to Support your claims. Can you give us some examples? How do the Typhoon's Specs match up with Simular aircraft. What are it's mission sucess rates?

ShadowKeeper, ATS is about substance! We look for posts that help everyone to expand their understanding. I'm not ragging on you, I just want to help you make better posts.

Tim

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
typhoons are unproven along with the f-22, so for now the f-15 is the current best aircraft in operation as it's proved itself more than any other current operational aircraft (grr i'm sounding like the discovery channel now)!!

but yes the typhoons and f-22 (on paper) should be better than any other fighter in current service.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Sepiroth]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I agree with what the gent above me said. Both are great and likely will defeat any enemy aircraft and will not likely ever fight each other. They are both unproven where it counts and will likely stay that way for some time because the F- 15 is still combat king with only 104 or so kills. I dont expect to see either plane get near that number in these modern times.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

That's just a bit of media chest thumping..

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
That's just a bit of media chest thumping..

Media chest thumping indeed.
I can't wait for the first actual combat engagement between the Typhoon or F/A-22 vs. MKI...

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I can't wait for the first actual combat engagement between the Typhoon or F/A-22 vs. MKI...

You mean actual combat or exersize?

I don't think any sane person wants to see the Typhoon or F-22 go at it with an MKI for real...

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
I don't think any sane person wants to see the Typhoon or F-22 go at it with an MKI for real

Won't happen.. but there are outside possibilities ..
The F-22 and the Typhoon has a outside chance of meeting the MKI considering the fact that the MKI variants can go to countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Venezuela, Algeria etc... etc...
Either ways these will not be Indian MKIs..
In terms of exercises; well chances are there in the future(esp Typhoon vs MKI as early as next year), but again both a/c will be exposed to each other on 'leashes' with full capabilities withheld for obvious reasons.
The reason that western air forces take part in these exercises is because they feel that the need to gauge Russian and possibly aggressor forces'(PLAAF/PLANAF) equipment in the hands of forces which have equivalent training,electronic support and technology. The reason why the IAF engages in such exercises is to test its flight capabilities against aggressors with good training and weapon systems equivalent to those possessed by possible aggressor forces(PAF).
As jezza said its all about learning w/o exposing ones capabilities too much.. the media reports are for mass consumption.
Having said that,the MKIs(in tandem with Mirage2000s, MiG29s etc..) are certainly capable of wasting the Tornado F3s and F15Cs. Neither a/c has a considerable/unassailable advantage over the MKI(or the Mirage 2000/MiG29 for that matter).
These exercises are all well and good.
Its the ones that happen under wraps that are really interesting..
Remember there was a scheduled IAF(India) vs IAF(Israel) encounter last/this year?
Whatever happened to that?No media reports...
Why? Did it happen at all? Who knows..
Why keep it under wraps??!.. The two countries have a exponentially growing military and strategic relationship which is publically known;
Here are a couple of points to think about:

1)Osirak
2)Israel extremely wary of the ONLY existing Islamic nuclear weapons state.(Probably as much as Iran or even more than that). The US is not going to back Israel on this one even in the most vague of situations..
3)India extremely interested in investigating a pre-emptive anti-nuclear(neutralising) capability.
4)PAF: very skilled AF getting top-of-the-line F-16s blk 52 and J-10s
5)IAF(Israel): very skilled AF having/getting F-16s of the likes of SUFA, and was the initiator of th Lavi, an ancestor of the J-10.

If things get out of hand and Pakistan falls to a psychotic fundametalist regime AND if they want to nuke someone, I'm betting my money its either India or Israel and NOT some inaccessible well-guarded western power.

The IAF and the IAF have a lot to teach other and learn from each other at the same time. Not something either of them want others to know much about irrespective of whether these 'others' are Arab/Islamic,western,oriental or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Having said that,the MKIs(in tandem with Mirage2000s, MiG29s etc..) are certainly capable of wasting the Tornado F3s and F15Cs.

Golden Eagles with AMRAAM-D are also more than capable of "wasting" MKI's and Mig-29's. F-15's have downed the latter in actual combat, just thought I'd mention.

[edit on 21-11-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A great aircraft is great but a experienced and successful pilot is what makes the battle.
A SEAL with a beat up WW1 garand can feel just as confident that he will kill the tango with the AK-47 because he's a better fighter. A great bass player can shred on a crappy bass and make it sound better than a super exotic bass, where as the kid who gets a $3000 intrument won't make it live up to it's abilities it'll probably sound like crap. Same goes for fancy cars. Put a well trained driver behind the wheel of a beat up geo metro, and make him go up against a less experienced driver in a ferrari. The ferrari will loose in anything other than a drag race.

The point is just because an aircraft excels in one area of preformance will not garuntee it can out fly another aircraft. It's all up to the pilot and their training and skill levels.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
On a personal note I think that the Tornado is definantly not top dog when it comes to looks. Everybody knows that the F4 is the greatest looking aircraft in the world, man that airplane had lines that would give a supermodel a run for her money...

...Not.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The Typhoon, Not too pretty either but alot better looking than the old Russian Typhoon, now thats ugly.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How superior is the Mk1's Radar to that of the Tornado in BVR combat? Do we know what weapons the Tornado and Mk1 were carrying?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join