It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon is TopGun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Typhoon's have proven that they are the best in their role

Mod Edit: Fixed title

[edit on 11/22/06 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As ATS's head honcho, Simon Gray told you in your "stealth" thread, "please don't provide one-liners as your arguments. Give us some hard evidence as to why you think your hypothesis is correct."

Continued inability to abide by ATS's Terms of Service is not a good way to start out your inclusion into the ATS community.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well were can i start :
The Typhoon is a very agile fighter.
Uses some of the best Avionics and aerodynamic tech
Carrys alot of weapons
has got Pirate
and it takes you for a ride

jra

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Well I really tried to resist commenting in this thread, but what the hell...

Originally posted by ShadowKeeper

Link? Where and when did they prove that the Typhoon is indeed the best? Or are you just making stuff up again? I really like the Typhoon and I`d love to see Canada acquire some to replace our aging C/F-18's. But I don't think they are the best. They're definitely somewhere in the top 5 for sure though.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Shadowkeeper, to help yourself you could have provided a link or something to the story about the 2 F-15's which sprung a Typhoon over Northern England. The USAF pilots thought it would be a laugh to "down" one of the RAF's newest toys, but to their surprise, the Typhoon not only escaped their attack, but turned on them and downed them.

That would have been a good place to start.

Personally, I think the Typhoon is #2 or 3, certainly not the best. The F-22 will be superior when the USAF get them in the air. Apart from that, the Typhoon could comfortably take on any other fighter in the world, at least with an even chance of winning, if not in most cases actually being superior.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Intergurl, thanks for wake this guy up. The abovetopsecret.com is all about debate the hard evidence that which jets is the best in the world. You wouldn't say Me-262 is the best in the world because it will burn out without make single turn against any fighters today. It is credible that Typhoon itself is the one of the best in the world, no arguement, but the obviously inferior challengers that Typhoon would flies against is F-22A Raptors, Su-30MK Flankers, and Rafale C-D. I'm waiting for
F-35 Lightning II to take up into air with its emerous power of F135 engine with 40,000 plus lbs. of thrust. That will make F-35 perform very well than anybody can thought except for its desginers who condifident that it is truly 21st century fighter. I still love that European designed fighter. Its beautiful yet very lethal killer.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think most people who are regulars on here know how much I favour the Typhoon, probably the last ever worthwhile manned British fighter (well part British, and at least BAE designed it
).

BUT.

I get the distinct feeling that you are doing nothing more than deliberately trolling this board with no intention other than to wind up the American members and start arguments.

I wont even venture into what proof you might be referring to as your one liner is so transparent in its true purpose as to be unworthy of further debate.

Frankly, I don't think you will be allowed to continue here long enough to get involved in a debate anyway, the way you are going.

Stumason; The encounter with the 2 F-15's is already legendary in my eyes and one to be placed with previous encounters such as those in which Buccaneers successfully evaded F-15's and Jaguars 'hid' beneath a Vulcan to bomb their targets in Red Flag and another where Sea Harriers defeated F-14's on excersise.

It fair does your heart good

[edit on 19-11-2006 by waynos]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

Stumason; The encounter with the 2 F-15's is already legendary in my eyes and one to be placed with previous encounters such as those in which Buccaneers successfully evaded F-15's and Jaguars 'hid' beneath a Vulcan to bomb their targets in Red Flag and another where Sea Harriers defeated F-14's on excersise.

It fair does your heart good

I agree that some here seem to want to antagonise the Yanks.

Can be good fun if done in a jovial way though

As for the above encounter, I agree, it is already a legend in it's own right

The american pilots complain that the RAF fly to low and crazy to engage, so it's not fair!
Would they say that in combat? hehehe.... (to any Yanks, I'm only teasing
)

I think it was you who either posted a video or recounted a story where an RAF Bucanneer was at an airshow and requested permission to do a low level fly by. When authorised to fly at 80 ft, the pilot replied "Roger, climbing..."

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Its on euros. puts on boxing gloves

Typhoon while being a great plane IMO will face a difficult operating environment in the future. Contrary to recently held opinions stealth I believe isn't a myth but quite real. And its the Typhoon lack of stealth(I know it has stealth characteristics)leaves it at a serious disadvantage against next generation SAM systems. Compared to other 5th generation warplanes it may actually be more manueverable than the F-22. I believe it has a slightly lower wing loading and a slightly better thrust-weight ratio but whether the F-22 thrust vectoring makes up for that I'd have to defer to waynos and Intelgurl for their thoughts. Typhoon is undoubtedly superiour to the Rafael and Super Hornet. The SU-30MKI has its 3D thrust vectoring system but gets trounced by both the F-22 and Typhoon on Thrust too weight ratio. But like every dogfight in history who wins in a engagement between these warcraft will be determined the same way it always has.

Whos the smarter pilot.

[edit on 19-11-2006 by danwild6]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Stu; Yes, that sounds about right

I also once requested a video which never surfaced. Maybe if I repeat the request now I may have a bit more luck?

Its from Red Flag, either 1977 opr 78, and it is footage shot from the ground observers position showing Bucc's weaving wildly towards the target at extreme low level over theNevada desert. Great flying which is made all the more memorable because of the soundtrack of incredulous American voices exclaiming their admiration and disbelief at the airmanship on show.

Sadly I haven't seen this footage for many years but I know it exists because it was broadcast on BBC 1, in my youth, on a programme called 'Nationwide' presented by every schoolboys dream, Sue Lawley.

Dan, that seems pretty spot on actually. The Typhoon, as I see it, is the best fighter in the world *against all the planes it may actually have to face in combat*. Clearly the F-22 does not come into this category, fortunately.

The capability to give the Typhoon 3-d thrust vectoring is already with us, what is not with us is the cash to make it happen and the Iraq 'war' makes the possibility of it ever happening gallop further into distance with every passing day.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Waynos,

I know exactly the video you are referring to, (begone visions of a young Sue Lawley), and I have never found it on the net. If I ever do come across it, a copy is yours by return.

Surely, one of the finest aircraft ever to fly, for once the word awesome actually does apply. I am proud to have a couple of magnificent Michael Rondot prints on of the beast on my study wall.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I also hope to watch that video!
Typhoon go ahead of Eagle is normal but One Typhoon can shooting two Eagles down after when Eagle attacking first is really suprising me. This situation reminds me of F-14 vs MiG-23 in last centry 80's.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I get the distinct feeling that you are doing nothing more than deliberately trolling this board with no intention other than to wind up the American members and start arguments.

+1 B-I-N-G-O!
If it smells, taste, feels, and looks, like "it," then guess what?

Insightful observation, waynos.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowKeeper

Wow! That sure was a slick one-liner! Clicked your thread thinking we'll get some intelligent arguments and info as to why the Typhoon is the 'best'. But heck, all we get is an orphaned one liner!

And then to rub salt on our wounds, you post this, which is even more descriptive, containing loads of info which has even clogged the ATS servers:

Well were can i start :
The Typhoon is a very agile fighter.
Uses some of the best Avionics and aerodynamic tech
Carrys alot of weapons
has got Pirate
and it takes you for a ride.

I dunno about the Typhoon, but you sure have taken us for a ride!

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I would say the F-22 is better than the Typhoon. It is more expensive and has more features.

It dosn't matter anyway. It's not like the F-22 will verse the Typhoon or Rafale. I am certain these would obliterate REAL enemies just as good as eachother.

In dog fights you need skill to shoot down the enemy, not just better equipment. A 6 year old could figure that out by playing a game like Lock On.

[edit on 19-11-2006 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Personally, I think the Typhoon is #2 or 3, certainly not the best. The F-22 will be superior when the USAF get them in the air.

I agree with your fist statement (number 3 in my case) but what do you mean "...when the USAF get them in the air"? The USAF has two combat F-22 squadrons (plus a multitude of others for testing and training) who have already flown operational missions and have also deployed/exercised outside the COUNS. The 27th and 94th FS are ready to be deployed anywhere in the world with their compliment of 26 Raptors each.

As for the Typhoon Vs. Strike Eagle case, well, in my book it is not representative of realistic combat and therefore does not mean as much.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I agree with your fist statement (number 3 in my case) but what do you mean "...when the USAF get them in the air"? The USAF has two combat F-22 squadrons (plus a multitude of others for testing and training) who have already flown operational missions and have also deployed/exercised outside the COUNS. The 27th and 94th FS are ready to be deployed anywhere in the world with their compliment of 26 Raptors each.

Ahh, I thought you had at least 1 Sq. but I wasn't sure, so didn't say.

Originally posted by WestPoint23
As for the Typhoon Vs. Strike Eagle case, well, in my book it is not representative of realistic combat and therefore does not mean as much.

Still a good story to tell the kids though ;0

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
OR THIS...... GWALIOR: IAF pilots flying their 'top-gun' Sukhoi-30MKI fighter jets are developing a habit of simply outgunning their rivals. After 'splashing' F-15Cs and F-16s, they have now blown the British Tornados out of the clear blue skies.

Though neither IAF nor Royal Air Force were scrambling to thrash the other in Indra-Dhanush air combat exercise, fighter boys will remain fighter boys, eager to notch up 'kills' even if they are achieved in mock battles.

"The British should have brought their new Euro-fighter Typhoons. The Tornado-F3 air defence fighters were no match for our Sukhoi-30MKIs, which performed exceptionally well in BVR (beyond-visual range) combat," said an IAF pilot.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

Everyone including the poms are getting smashed around...

I remember the RAAF got smashed by Malaysian Migs......

Its all good fun and better to LEARN from

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
WestPoint23,

>>>
Personally, I think the Typhoon is #2 or 3, certainly not the best. The F-22 will be superior when the USAF get them in the air.
>>>

>>
I agree with your first statement (number 3 in my case) but what do you mean "...when the USAF get them in the air"? The USAF has two combat F-22 squadrons (plus a multitude of others for testing and training) who have already flown operational missions and have also deployed/exercised outside the CONUS. The 27th and 94th FS are ready to be deployed anywhere in the world with their compliment of 26 Raptors each.
>>

The Typhoon would likely beat the F-22 _if_ they ever met visually with the Typhoon operating on it's >
>>

Good for you. Here's the real word as it was spoken on Hyperscale awhile back by 'a driver who knew the drivers' involved:

If you flash a certain IFF code over Englands controlled airspace, you are saying you 'accept intercept' from anyone in the airspace. What this amounts to is conversion and saddle up vs. turn-into defeat of the vectored approach. However; if the fight proceeds beyond 90` the knock-off call is _automatic_ because the conversion has been defeated and any hassling will lead to potential flow-through of other traffic in the same airspace.

The F-15Es got to weapons employment parameters for the AMRAAM but _did not_ achieve AIM-9M followup when the Flubbers turned into them. After the subsequent 90` the Beagles went wings level because USAFE is a professional force not a bunch of frickin' yahoos and the RAF got their dander up and 'proved a point' (You would have nailed us with AIM-120 so now we have to prove we can outturn a bomber with 90` HOBS ASRAAM).

And against a _non maneuvering bomber_ opponent, they did. Big Surprise.

If there is anything worth learning here, it is simply that the ability to close on jets for a Red Baron style attack is fast fading. Not simply because the envelopes for return fire are opening up but also because MAWS systems are effectively becoming able to function as SAIRSTs with easily twice the acuity and at least 4 times the instantaneous FOV coverage as ANY baby onboard.

Past which, the likelihood of eating a pyrhhic heat shot from a dead threat aircraft goes so high as to not be worth expending a 50-100 million dollar platform for the sake of some twerps ego. Even as 'training'.

As such: "If you don't or can't win the BVR fight, don't breach the merge" should drive the doctrine even more towards first+cleanup advantagement on LONGRANGE weapon pole-out more than anything relevant to the WVR arena.

And again, this has been known since the 1960s when USAF ADC _intercept_ (as goes the intercept so goes the fight) training included face to face BVR from upwards of 20nm out with only the SARH weapons system elements preventing breakaway. Like a knight with a lowered lance, there is no where to go, so if you get the weapon off and it's kinematics work, you are better off to MAKE THE FIRST AS FINAL shot count.

Again, /everyone/ knows this. And yet still we have idiots pretending that 'agility counts' when it is plane-to-plane and mutant-to-mutant.

Well let me tell you the last time I remember Agility mattering: Two less-than-pro F-15Cs, also out of Lakenheath, tried to engage in a little freeform stupidity in typical Scottish weather and planted both their carcasses into the moors for their troubles.

Now THERE was a bit of constructive DACM for you.

To their wives and children, I'm sure such moronic behavior _really mattered_.

KPl.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well, that all sounded wonderful. Shame I didn't understand more than 3 words at a time....

Only kidding, good post
If a little hard to decipher!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join