It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wolf .223

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Amen. Bullet choice depends on your intended use. If its shooting cans or other targets, there's no point/need/use for hollowpoints.

I would recommend using bullet weights near what the M-16/AR-15 was intended to shoot -- 55-65 grain bullets. I think you might be able to get lighter bullets (like 45 gr.), or as heavy as 75 gr., but loads differ for various bullet weights, and since you're firing a semi-auto, the lighter loads may cause weak cycling, and heavier loads/pressures may be too rough on the gas system.

The .223 is great for varmints like coyote, fox, groundhog, and probably even javelina and small feral hogs, but generally not considered too effective/humane for deer-sized species and large tuskers, although I know of some poeple that do harvest those game with the .223 - neck/head shots should be used.

The .223 may be illegal to use on larger game in your state do to its small caliber, check your local laws before hunting with it. In my state, the only requirement is that the cartridge be centerfire. I sometimes shake my head when I see articles about people harvesting larger game with a .218 Bee or .22 Hornet. I guess they're good shots, but I just would not even consider those calibers for larger game. Sure, its legal here, but that doesn't always mean it may be right.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Regarding the OP's query on Wolf .223 ammo:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In this thread:
7.62 x 39mm Ammunition Shortage

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please make use of the Google search of ATS: Wolf .223
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weaponry -[rss]-
Military weapons technology past, present, and future.

Perhaps there's an increasing need/desire for:
Handguns and Firearms -[rss]-
Comparison, construction, care, and cleaning.

??? BTS, of course, as there's little or no Conspiratorial aspect.

[edit on 11/19/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

<< 1   >>

join