It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.62 x 39mm Ammunition Shortage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
A few weeks back my friend bought a very nice SKS rifle.
It takes 7.62 x 39mm ammunition.
The AK47 uses the same ammunition.

He's found that there is virtually no 7.62 x 39mm ammuntion available here in the US.
The word bandied about is that all the 7.62 x 39mm ammunition is going toward the war effort.

Since US forces generally don't use the AK47 I would guess the ammuntion is not going to American troops.

I understand that the Iraqi Army as well as the police use the AK47 as standard issue.

Looking from here, I'm guessing the US made ammuntion is going to the Iraqui forces.

The insurgents/terrorists are using AK47's as well.
Their ammunition is probably coming from China, Iran and perhaps Russia.
And maybe arms merchants as well.

It strikes me as strange that there is a shortage of 7.62 x 39mm in the US.
It's a somewhat popular round, but there are others considerably more popular.

Any other reasons for the 7.62 x 39mm shortage other than the rumor mentioned above?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have not found a shortage of 7.62x39 mm amunition here in the Chesapeake bay of Virginia.

What I have found a shortage of is the inexpensive Wolf type ammunition in 7.62x39. I have posted this question in the members forum under the room titled my first gun when I noticed the Wolf ammunition disappearing from the shelves here. I too was buying this ammunition for a newly acquired SKS rifle.
There is pleny of ammunition in 7.62x39 available in other brands ...Remington and such but at four times the price. A 20 round box of Remingtion goes for over $10.00. The Wolf type ammo is what is disappearing from around here.

Curious if it is the same where you are or is it all types of ammo.
The guy at the store here told me he has about 300 cases of it on order for thier different stores but no idea when it will be filled.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have not ran into any shortages here at all. It does seem wolf ammo is a little bit scarce but you can still find plenty of it here if you go to the off brand gun shops.
I have 2 sks's and a couple of pre-ban AK's (yes I am ffl cleared class 3) because I am a collector. I also reload my own. That may be something you might consider to save on some expense or a shortage in your area.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It does help and thanks.

I'm in N/W Arizona and we'll be hitting a local gun show in the morning.

I'll keep an eye out and see what I can see about the 7.62 x 39mm and pass the info along.

An SKS is on my shopping list as well although with very good condition used ones going for $99.95 I'll probably have to order through a friends shop.
I'm guessing if there are any SKS' at the gun show the price will be higher.

The ammo shortage will blow over I'm sure, just found it strange that there was a shortage.

I haven't asked, but I'll bet my pal was trying to get either Wolf or surplus ammo.

I have heard that the SKS can be pretty hard on brass cased ammo and plated steel is preferred for use in this rifle.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf
I have not ran into any shortages here at all. It does seem wolf ammo is a little bit scarce but you can still find plenty of it here if you go to the off brand gun shops.
I have 2 sks's and a couple of pre-ban AK's (yes I am ffl cleared class 3) because I am a collector. I also reload my own. That may be something you might consider to save on some expense or a shortage in your area.

I do reload, but for an SKS - once I get one - I prefer to buy surplus type stuff.

Kind of the same deal with 9mm.
There is quite a bit of reasonably priced ammo for it and I like the factory rounds there.
The Brazilian 9mm stuff seems to work well.

The 9mm I carry for some of the snake infested areas we go into while turquoise hunting here in the Arizona desert.

Not to mention that it's a pain to chase the case down once the P89 flings em out....

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I plan to reload for the SKS also and am soon going to be putting back about 500 new pieces of brass in 7.62x39mm plus bullets. Large rifle primers I have plenty since I also reload other calibers and powder also for other calibers and suitable in this one. Bullets and cases. I plan to order soon from Midway the cases and bullets.

By the way..If you can afford it ..I recommend paying the extra moneys and getting a new SKS verses a used. I just bought my second SKS as a spare and will shoot it this weekend for the first time to see how it performs compared to my first one.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I own a AK and have seen no shortage from local stores but have seen a shortage from big online suppliers and there has been one for awhile ( a few years). Its a tad strange considering the AK-47 is by far the most prolific rifle on the planet.

Reasons for the shortage sound pretty varied and range from the Iraq War, conflicts in Africa to bad weather in central Europe to high steel/fuel costs. Iraq would be my choice the US doesn't use that ammo that much but they are equiping and training a massive Iraqi force that does use that ammo.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Orangetom1999 said you should get a new SKS vs. a used one. I totally agree with that. Buying a used one could cause you problems in the chamber area as well as in the rifling of the barrel. Brass isn't that expensive. Go on line and look up : www.lockstock.com and you'll find a great deal of information and gear for reloading. I been using them for years and nary a complaint. If you need additional information on supplies and the like let me know and I'll locate the best prices for what you need.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Thanks for that site. I am going to bookmark it for future reference. I usually order from Midway but it never hurts to have options. That is a new site for me so it will be intresting to browse through thier products.
Thanks for the info and I may get back with you about reloads.
The price between a used SKS here and a new one is $20 to $30 so for the difference in price I would rather go with a new. Both of mine were new and still in the preservative.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Orangetom1999 said you should get a new SKS vs. a used one. I totally agree with that. Buying a used one could cause you problems in the chamber area as well as in the rifling of the barrel. Brass isn't that expensive. Go on line and look up : www.lockstock.com and you'll find a great deal of information and gear for reloading. I been using them for years and nary a complaint. If you need additional information on supplies and the like let me know and I'll locate the best prices for what you need.

Orangetom's advice is on the money.
My pal's SKS was in cosmoline in the crate and in very nice condition, but he probably got on the upper end of the "luck of the draw" bit.

I'm pretty well set up in the reloading dept.
Just need to buy fresh powder and primers after the move to Arizona from Central California last summer.

The price between a used SKS here and a new one is $20 to $30 so for the difference in price I would rather go with a new. Both of mine were new and still in the preservative.

Difference in price here is $50. and it looks to be worth it considering the rifle you - or I - get may be a bottom of the barrel special.

A lot of rifle for $150.

And they're so ugly they're kinda neat....

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Talk about ugly...

Years ago a guy I knew sold me a WW2 ...7.7mm Japanese Arisaka rifle for $25 as he needed some cash. Talk about ugly. But you know I have come to respect this particular rifle I now own.
This one has the chrysanthemum still on it ..not ground off as was required on most rifles of this type. It also has some kind of funky type sight on it which can fold up for long ranges but also has some kind of levers which fold down with notches in the levers. I am told it is for leading and shooting at aircraft. Strange set up. It also has some kind of dirt cover which slips over the bolt and cycles on a grove in the receiver. A rattley set up for sure. I am sure most soldiers got rid of it because it rattles when you want to be quiet.
This is the rifle which was to teach me the value and flexability of reloading and I have done so since for the various calibers I shoot. Reloading was to open up for me new doors in the shooting experience. 7.7mm ammunition is not that easy to find around here and pricy. I learned to make my own by full length sizing of 30.06 brass and then cutting off the necks to 7.7mm lengths. Resizing the necks afterwords to accomodate the 7.7mm or .303 caliber bullets.
Now this rifle is not pleasing to the eye..nor is the SKS...yes ..definitely not pleasing to the eye. But you know ..this Arisaka can shoot pretty straight. I was very surprised. I never thought the Japanese could make a rifle which could shoot that straight. I was wrong. Ballistically it seems to be close in performance to the .303 British round.
What this rifle and the SKS are is practical..no frills and no thrills. Strictly buisness. I can respect that. ON the other hand I have seen very beautiful pleasing rifles on the shooting range but not a rifle I would take with me out in the woods. These tools are more of what I consider works of art....beautiful workmanship but just not practical outside of a pristine controlled enviornment.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Talk about ugly...

Years ago a guy I knew sold me a WW2 ...7.7mm Japanese Arisaka rifle for $25 as he needed some cash. Talk about ugly. But you know I have come to respect this particular rifle I now own.
This one has the chrysanthemum still on it ..not ground off as was required on most rifles of this type. It also has some kind of funky type sight on it which can fold up for long ranges but also has some kind of levers which fold down with notches in the levers. I am told it is for leading and shooting at aircraft.

I also have a Type 99 with royal Chrysanthemum intact
with bayonet. It was given to me by my grandfather which he brought home after the war. Ive never fired it though.

I was wondering do you have the Monopod for your type 99? Yes it came with a monopod instead of a bipod (horrid design) but Ive never seen a rifle with one in real life.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yes ..Mine also has the monopod. Now that you mention it ..I dont think I have ever seen one on any other rifle. I am told that you are fortunate to have one in which the Chrysanthemum has not been ground off. Ive only seen one other not ground off. Lucky you to have the bayonete. I look at these rifles and think to myself....Good Grief...these rifles are as long as some of the soldiers were tall..especially with the bayonete attached.
Thanks for reminding me that they are called Type 99s. I usually just refer to them as 7.7mm rifles verses the olde 6.5mm Arisakas. I think those were referd to as type 98s.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Pretty is as pretty does or form follows function or something along those lines.

Firearms and their history are interesting to say the least.

Wife's uncle had a Japanese Nambu pistol, a fairly common one, but it was complete with holster which is the rare part for these.

I did hit the gun show this morning.
Sure pays to know your prices.
Saw SKS rifles priced from $150. for beat up to $250. for not-so-bad.
None of them equal to my friends $99.95 SKS.
Looks like we may make a run down the highway to a gun shop about two hours away and take advantage of the $150. SKS new in the box.

My friend did find some surplus 7.62 x 39mm and bought a couple hundred rounds with stripper clips for $20.

I didn't see any Wolf 7.62, but I did see a few boxes of Wolf 9mm.

The gun show was interesting, but I didn't buy anything and aside from the ammo my friend bought that was it.

We did go to a local gun shop - nice people - and I bought a box of Sierra 52 grain HPBT bullets, CCI large rifle primers and a can of Hodgon's H-380 ball (or spherical) powder.
I like the H-380 as it dispenses well from a powder measure.
Weighing out each charge for non-ball powders is a drag sometimes.

Anyhoo, my heavy barrel 22-250 always shot the Sierra 52 grainers with H-380 quite well so I'll be digging out the reloading stuff.
One good thing about that was, I packed stuff that went together in plastic tote boxes for the move and they were stored away still in the box.
And the press etc. is set up to clamp onto the workbench.

Nothing like resurrecting an old hobby to go along with the present day ones....

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Yes ..Mine also has the monopod. Now that you mention it ..I dont think I have ever seen one on any other rifle. I am told that you are fortunate to have one in which the Chrysanthemum has not been ground off. Ive only seen one other not ground off. Lucky you to have the bayonete. I look at these rifles and think to myself....Good Grief...these rifles are as long as some of the soldiers were tall..especially with the bayonete attached.
Thanks for reminding me that they are called Type 99s. I usually just refer to them as 7.7mm rifles verses the olde 6.5mm Arisakas. I think those were referd to as type 98s.

Thanks,
Orangetom

WOW you actually have the monopod that is pretty sweet I never seen one in person with the gun. That might be more rare then the Chrysanthemum mark since Ive seen a handful of those at gun shows.

The Chrysanthemum was the royal symbol and showed that gun infact belonged to the emperor and not the soldier carrying it so they were ordered to be ground off before they were surrendered apparently as a face-saving gesture. So surrendered ones dont normally have them. Rifles captured in the field, however, normally have the chrysanthemum symbol intact.

So chances are yours and mine are ones captured on the battlefield.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If you can afford the shipping costs, you might want to pick up some of the czech surplus stuff. You can't reload it, but it's about 20% of the cost of the remington stuff. Be sure to clean your rifle afterwards...as I'm sure you all do anyways.

Behold!

www.marstar.ca...

7.62x39mm 127gr FMJ Ammo

1,120 rounds

$189.95 CND+ shipping. Not bad. Comes in stripper clips.

DE

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I heard somewhere that the 7.62x39mm shortage is due to Wolf switiching steel suppliers or something in that sense.

So production of this ammunition should start picking up pretty soon.

This was all posted on www.thehighroad.com

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I heard somewhere that the 7.62x39mm shortage is due to Wolf switiching steel suppliers or something in that sense.

So production of this ammunition should start picking up pretty soon.

This was all posted on www.thehighroad.com

Ya the issue with wolf is that the bullet casing splinters and jams the gun. And second I own a AK-47 and no ammo shortage I guess thats couse I live in Russia.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I have heard some people say that wolf jams, but the .223 FMJ Wolf ammunition and fired it several times through an AR-15 with only a few jams...but for the price of this ammo I cant complain, sure If i used something like federal or something Id pay alot more for a reduction in jams, but thats also what the charge handle is for

It does seem silly though doesnt it? russian ammo through an american rifle?

american .223 rounds is expensive and you cant get the same deal Wolf offers.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I heard that Wolf is co-operating with privi-partizan in order to make a premium rounds at resonable cost, so the shortage may be caused by US suppliers/importers waiting for new gold line of ammo, Btw they will start loading loads of old military calibers too (Good for you guys with Japanese rifles)

Btw, we have loads of those 6.5japs that russians left here 1918, it's good that they shoot resonably well with swedish 6.5 ammo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join