It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Weather Update

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
yeah i heard the weathers been pretty weird in victoria the last couple weeks.

like the snow in ballarat.. and then a week later bushfires in ballarat...

freezing one day, 39 degres celsius the next....

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
hey soficrow,

I've been watching this thread develop, but I didn't feel the urge to add anything...

until today.

The high in NYC today is 72 degrees, farenheit. This is so unseasonably mild that I'm worried, and the scariest part is, we're still debating global warming.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
. This is so unseasonably mild that I'm worried, and the scariest part is, we're still

Of course it is warm El Nino has returned!

This might have nothing to do with global warming at all although many will try and scare you into thinking it does.

RETURN OF EL NIÑO YIELDS NEAR NORMAL 2006

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Quote: .., Dallas - Are you guys living in a bubble?

Gosh I hope not Soficrow. Just there are climate things that happen outside the regular seasonal stuff all the time. I was trying to say that sorry Sir, I did a so-so job but basically that's what I was adding to your thread.

Dallas

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Canada's new environment minister is acknowledging that our planet is experiencing wild, "weird weather."

Canada's new environment minister, John Baird, isn't saying what he'll try to do about global warming, but he suggested in a CBC interview on Friday that weird weather has eliminated any doubts that temperatures are rising.

"I mean, I grew up here in Ottawa, lived here my entire life, and I can't remember a winter where I didn't have to use my boots," he told Heather Hiscox of CBC Newsworld. "I left the house without even a winter coat this morning. So that's obviously a huge concern."

Phew.

So the world does turn. One reality check at a time.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Was getting spoiled with the high 60deg and low 70deg weather here in NYC area for the past few weeks. Almost forgot it was winter here. Oh well...all good things must end and its back to reality with 30deg weather again and threats of snow on the horizon...bleccch

It was a long Indian summer this year.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wow....

Im rarely surprised on most (even the abnormal) weather events....but Phoenix, Arizona?!?! This IS a wild weather event if you ask me

Phoenix Snow takes Residents by Surprise

AB1

apc

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That is awesome! My sister lived in Phoenix for a few years and she says everyone freaks out when it just sprinkles a little bit. I bet they're resorting to cannibalism with the snow!

I sure hope all these Al Gore type Global Warming freaks are sucking on their toes right about now... the types that say ocean levels are rising and half the country will be underwater and all that crapola. Climate change is quite real, but that reality is nothing like these idiots believe.

Now if only San Francisco would get a blizzard... that would really make my day.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Now if only San Francisco would get a blizzard... that would really make my day.

Will you settle for a blizzard in Malibu, with record cold in SF?

I watched reports of snow in Malibu, California last week with amazement. I do not remember the last time that happened. Everyone in my household had to see it to believe it.

The Governor is declaring the fruit-killing, grower-crushing, brutal cold a state disaster.

Record cold temperatures were predicted for Friday and Saturday morning, according to NBC11's weather department.

The National Weather Service reported that an arctic air mass will move across the Bay Area, setting the stage for very cold weather and several hours of freezing temperatures in the interior valleys Thursday night.

NBC11's chief meteorologist John Farley said daytime highs throughout the Bay Area only reached the upper 40s on Thursday.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Oops. There WAS snow in SF:

Parts of Bay Area dusted in snow: Black ice warning for roads

(01-17) 13:28 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- It was a winter wonderland out there in some areas overnight, including downtown San Francisco, one of several cities that got a dusting of snow in the early morning hours.

The cold weather creating that snow left black ice on several roadways in Contra Costa, Napa and Sonoma counties, prompting authorities to ask drivers to slow down or stay off the roads if possible early today. The California Highway Patrol reopened Mark West Spring and Calistoga roads in Santa Rosa around noon, after icy conditions forced the roads' closures for several hours.

Global Warming? Snow Falls In Bay Area

SAN FRANCISCO -- A bitter cold front kept its icy grip on Northern California early Wednesday, dusting the San Francisco Bay area with snow flurries and slowing the morning commute as black ice made driving treacherous on numerous roadways.

Several inches of snow covered Mt. Diablo and Mt Hamilton in the Bay Area, giving it a rare wintry landscape. In the lower elevations, a light dusting of snow was reported in areas ranging from Woodside in San Mateo County to Wine County near Calistoga.

Good enough to make your day? Or should I keep searching?

[edit on 22-1-2007 by soficrow]

apc

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Ahhh yesssss. I can die now with a warm sense of peace in my heart. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Ahhh yesssss. I can die now with a warm sense of peace in my heart. Thank you.

So glad I could be of service.

BTW - You say, "Climate change is quite real, but that reality is nothing like these idiots believe."

Do you mean simply that weather patterns will change, and we'll have wild weird weather, but not massive flooding - or what?

apc

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm saying anyone who's invested in some prime beachfront property in Colorado is going to be disappointed.

But yes, wild weather... everything we're already seeing. The ocean currents destabilize, screwing up the weather. Without the regulating effect of stable current flow we get radical swings in weather trends. Probably flooding here and there. Maybe a few new deserts. It's all happened before... it'll all happen again. This planet is unimaginably more powerful than us. All we can do is hang on for the ride.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

But yes, wild weather... everything we're already seeing. The ocean currents destabilize, screwing up the weather. ...we get radical swings in weather trends. Probably flooding here and there. Maybe a few new deserts. It's all happened before... it'll all happen again. This planet is unimaginably more powerful than us. All we can do is hang on for the ride.

I agree that it's all happened before, and that this planet is unimaginably more powerful than we are.

BUT...

Maybe we can do more than just hang on for the ride, dontcha think?

We are informed, educated, aware, purportedly civilized and certainly capable. Surely we can choose a conscious path? Maybe do a bit of planning, resource budgeting, that kind of thing?

apc

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm sure many ancient cultures thought the same things about how great their societies were.

Plan, yes... if you mean plan to adapt. If a major city finds itself surrounded by lifeless dry wasteland, or if a glacier plows its way through a farmland, I don't think there's a whole lot anybody can do about it.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
But unlike ancient cultures we have global communications systems, and vast resources.

Surely we could work together to mitigate the effects? Save people, cultures? Other treasures?

apc

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't see why not. As long as we don't do anything stupid like block out the sun or alter our atmosphere. I think we stand a greater chance of really screwing things up if we intentionally try to change the planet than if we just leave her to restore balance on her own. The latter is at least guaranteed success.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc

As long as we don't do anything stupid like block out the sun or alter our atmosphere. I think we stand a greater chance of really screwing things up if we intentionally try to change the planet than if we just leave her to restore balance on her own. The latter is at least guaranteed success.

My thoughts exactly.

We don't know enough about our planet's complex systems to start messing with any of them. And besides, it ain't broke. We are. The planet works just fine.

We just need to stop trashing our home, and start cleaning up our own messes and helping each other out.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
BBC has a blog on wheather from people, mainly Europe and US, writing in their observations.

Here's a recent regarding the West coast wheather.

Added: Monday, 22 January, 2007, 22:39 GMT 22:39 UK

Anyone from the US who claims there's no climate change here is obviously living underground. We've enjoyed a bizarrely warm and mild winter - almost no snow in Chicago. I'm talking CHICAGO- the usually grueling hot or two feet under the snow city. We've seen only a handful of snowy days.

Just last week I saw this weird snowy apocalypse in Seattle when I was traveling out there- no one knew what to do or how to drive in it. It snowed in Malibu and rained ice on Oklahoma. There's no doubt.

Alex Newman, Champaign, IL, United States

What do you folks think about this year's agenda in Davos, the Economic Forum, discussing climate change? Play for the gallery?

Do you think it will initiate and establish steps to "stop trashing our home, and start cleaning up our own messes and helping each other out"?

Participants can expect a daily reminder of what global warming could mean: usually the Davos valley is buried under a metre or two of snow at this time of year, but until Tuesday the mild winter left the hills mostly green.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join