It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up! Leonid meteors this weekend

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'll do the first bump tonite , guys.

I got shut out last nite.
Unexpected low cloud cover crept in.
*note to self, check sky Before spending 20 min. getting ready*

This year the Earth passes closest to the filament produced by the parent comet in 1933. The expected time of this peak of activity is near 0445 Universal Time on November 19. This corresponds to 2345 (11:45pm) EST, 2245 (10:45pm) CST, 2145 (9:45pm) MST, and 2045 (8:45pm) PST. In North America only the eastern portion of the country can catch any trace of this peak.

www.amsmeteors.org...

Looks all clear tonight, on East coast, but chilly temps down to the 30's predicted.
BRRRRR.

Time to break out the Hardcore Skywatcher gear, I guess.
Shouldn't be too bad if the wind stays calm.

Good luck, fellow 'gazers.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hell ya man thanks for the info. Ill be sure to check it out woot woot. maybe someone can get some pics of it.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Argh

I had patches of clouds moving in and out all night.
I did see a few Saturday night, and a few the previous.
But was unable to get a pic..I shot 30 or 400 times, and nothing crossed the path of my lens. Maybe I should get a wide angle lens!

Anyone else?

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Perfectly clear night in the UK last night but I saw bugger all. I thought I saw a few faint ones, but the light pollution is a problem.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
oh man, sorry everyone.
Sorry for getting everyone all excited about what turned out to be a bust.

There's always the Geminids..Dec. 13-14.

Here is a blog article that shows we weren't alone in being disappointed.
Lack of Leonids

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
No sense being sorry, Space doubt. Like your kid or pet, they don't perform on que, they wait till no one is looking. I have seen some interesting info lately on theories that comets throw off seeds of life when they hurl through space. Maybe the ones in December are carrying the right seeds, not the Leonoid. I noticed Leonoid is similar to Leo and the Geminoid (orwhatever) resembles Gemini. I am a novice so tell me, are the meteors from those particular constellations?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
They just appear to originate from those constellations, due to the direction the come in from. They are from within our own solar system.

Spacedoubt, sorry man, meant to get back to you. Don't apologise, it was good of you to give us a heads up, I completely forgot!

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Thanks folks,

I was hoping I didn't give anyone a case of hypothermia.

Cross your fingers for the December Geminids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join