It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology and Divinity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
First of all, i'm new, hooray....but on with more important... Today my religion thoughts have concentrated on technology. Technology and divinity are rarely related to eachother, but I think that they could quite possible be related. Nobody actually understands why a computer works the way it does. We know information is stored through magnets but thats about it. I think that the farther we go with technology, the closer we will get to the orgin of the universe and/or "heaven".

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Um i think theres quite a few people around who knows why a computer works, otherwise how could wqe make them and improve on them?

But your underlying idea of technology reaching divinity is a nice one! Wonder what everyone else thinks of this?

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
i'm not saying we don't know how to make computers, i am saying nobody knows exactly why they work. We can say hydrogen atoms bind to an oxygen atom in a covalent bond and say why they were attracted to them, but we cannot say why these words appear on this screen, why a modem is a modem and why a modem couldn't be a hard drive.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Sounds like an old story I once heard called "THE TOWER OF BABEL"

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I cant answer that cause i am not a computer techinican, or something similar, but even so a modem cannot be a hard drive because it has communication chips, and a hard drive is composed of a magnectic disc that stores data in binary code

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   
cool website, kind of related, i haven't gotten a chance to do more than browse over it but.....www.mmedia.is...

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I fully agree that technological advancement will uncover the rtuth about God etc eventually. I'm sure that certain technologically advanced beings create the religious phenomena which mankind attributes to some great spiritual God etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethemilkglass
i'm not saying we don't know how to make computers, i am saying nobody knows exactly why they work.

Actually, what students in college are taught has to do with *basics* as well, such as how electricity works & the parameters it takes to *make* it work so that an electronics engineer can understand *how* to design a piece of electronic gear to perform certain functions.

One thing that's bothered me...For those who may have more knowledge in molecular physics than I do...

How can you take oxygen & hydrogen (both gasses) & combine them to make a liquid (water)?

In a way though, this goes along with a theory I've heard of that majick is, in reality, practiced by everyone all the time...Because son't you use technological devices all the time when you don't *really* know why they work? Wouldn't this be the equivalent of using "magic wands" & such? When you turn on a light switch to light up a room, do your *really* know exactly how many wires & switches are involved in the process? How do you even know *for sure* that there *are* wires in the walls (unless you happen to be the one who installed them yourself)...And even then, do you *really know* what makes all of that wiring actually work? Most of the things you use on a day-to-day basis work only because you *know* that they're *supposed* to work & take it on faith that they will work.

So, by this theory, we *all* practice majick...It's a technology-based magic.

[Edited on 14-11-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Science is mans attempt to explain and understand God

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by straterx
Science is mans attempt to explain and understand God

Which is why it disturbs me to hear the "orthodox" religions claim that science comes from Satan...

In an interview, Albert Einstein was asked how he prepares his mind to come up with the theories that have made him famous...His reply was that he'd simply sit back in a comfortable chair & ask himself, "If I were God, how would I have put it together."
In other words, his own faith in God is what drove him to contemplate God's Creation to such an extent as he did.

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethemilkglass
i'm not saying we don't know how to make computers, i am saying nobody knows exactly why they work. We can say hydrogen atoms bind to an oxygen atom in a covalent bond and say why they were attracted to them, but we cannot say why these words appear on this screen, why a modem is a modem and why a modem couldn't be a hard drive.

Take a few engineering classes.

I did.

Trust me, you'll know EXACTLLY why words appear on a screen (I've blown some code into chips to do stuff), and why a modem can't be a hard drive.

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
How can you take oxygen & hydrogen (both gasses) & combine them to make a liquid (water)?

Aren't they teaching this in Chemistry any longer????

Okay, it has to do with the principle that atoms try to fill their outer shells with a complete set of electrons. Oxygen needs two, and Hydrogen would like to have one extra (remember the noble gases?) So when they are forced together (you have to add energy so the orbits will intersect and then they'll lock... which is why putting the two gasses together just gives a gas, but burning them results in water) then you get water.

Didn't they go over this in high school chemistry????

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Didn't they go over this in high school chemistry????

No.
They were more concerned with "calculating the electrons in the valence shell" & having us time how long it took for a measurement of water to seep through various sizes of sand & rocks...

...Which is why I got bored with it. Of course, the water & rocks thing was probably because I grew up in an area of the country that has a lot of farmers, even though my family never were farmers. A lot of the science projects were biased towards agriculture.

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by glan
Sounds like an old story I once heard called "THE TOWER OF BABEL"

~~~+++~~~
GOOD POINT
then there is...the mythic Atlantas,( before Babylon) where the scientists were creating genetically engineered/altered Creatures & new lifeforms...becoming as it were gods..
blending science+religion [like todays gene splicing experiments with food sources]

Nothing good will come from this pseudo-religious/majick-science:: look at this url page-->

www.keysofenoch.org...

this spiritual-science thoughtforms' been around awhile,
'better living thru chemistry' is one mass mind control meme...SEE Todays TEFLON fiasco for another thread of this tapestry...see: Duponts *Teflon* has served its purpose, here in the USA-> now its going offshore to China..[make your connections..]

inventors.about.com...

now go to this China mfgr, free-trade/MFN/NWO-> producer of PTFE [aka Teflon]...can U say take pollutants & dangerous industries offshore?!...while DuPont licenses the Teflon production to the China connection?

www.profma.com...
~~~+++~~~

s
can't help the seeming runaway train...but the spirituality-sciene = salvation ruse is a NON-STARTER....

Why do you think the fundamental Islam characterizes the USA as the Great Satan??.... our culture & science that creates bizzare wants/needs is running AMOK!!
&, for greed/profit, entangles others in this moral black-hole of baser human drives/pleasure seeking...

WTF...they/U/me will continue what we're doing till the cows come home.....

enjoy your journey

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm sorry for making wrong accusations about computers, i took from the fact that computer language is basically 0101010101110001000101000 (off, on , off, on, off.....) that we didn't understand them, my apologies.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
yea, we don't understand, but we try to give birth to something new, better, more perfect

religion was always against technology, i don't get it why though

maybe(probably) our future is in cyberspace , maybe we already are in cyberspace?

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by CyberGhost]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   

yea, we don't understand, but we try to give birth to something new, better, more perfect

religion was always against technology, i don't get it why though

maybe(probably) our future is in cyberspace

Mabe because it's like the catholic church, at the core of it, people know the true answers, but stay in it to control the masses and put lies on the surface to keep rifts down.

new topics

top topics

join