It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimum wage increased for Americans? Really?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by spinstopshere
When i went to an air show i bought a t shirt about an American plane and the t shirt was made in Nicaragua. WTF.

Don't feel bad that is the American way but we lost the dream a way back.

Now that US has China as the second country from whom it borrows we have the markets saturated with China made goods.

What a dream.

It's the dream that keeps on giving. Giving us tons of worthless chinese dime store items. It is a great day to be an American no.

And I thought t shirts that came from other countries were cheaper than american ones. I paid 20 freakin bucks for that.

[edit on 15-11-2006 by spinstopshere]

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
That is the problem, many companies got out of the US to be able to use cheap slave labor, paying pennies on the dollar.

But when they come here we the American consumer pay high prices plus tax.

They get to keep all the profits.

But we are going to get minimum wage increase.

And then people gets so happy because our politicians get to do something for the people.

But again for who's benefit.

Perhaps somebody is still living the American dream . . .

The illegal immigrants that come here, but then I wonder . . . how can they live on wage that are so low and feed their extended families, and have some left to send back home.

Perhaps they know something we don't.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Perharps they don't pay taxes and IRS? And they work more? And they are big in the black market? Also, the US dollar is much higher than the mexican peso... so even if they send 200 US dollars, it's much higher for those in mexico.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Perhaps they don't pay taxes and IRS? And they work more?

Yes you are right they work extended hours at a lower rate and they do not get over time.

And they are big in the black market? Also, the US dollar is much higher than the Mexican peso... so even if they send 200 US dollars, it's much higher for those in Mexico.

Yes they do, but how come many claims that they are putting money back into the American economy? I don't get it . . . no without paying taxes, social security and medicaid.

Also they are not as big spenders as the American consumer either, plus many can no hold banks accounts due to their status.

So everything they get is in cash.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I think everyone will benefit from an increase to minimum wage.
:
Well, maybe not small business owners. But someone has to make a sacrifice here. There are bigger things at play.

You're right in one aspect - small business owners would be the hardest hit by an increase. Here are a few stats on small business:

Small Business Effects on the Economy
The estimated 25.8 million small businesses in the United States:

Have generated 60 to 80 percent of net new jobs annually over the last decade

Employ 50 percent of the country’s private sector workforce

Represent 97 percent of all the exporters of goods

Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms

Generate a majority of the innovations that come from United States companies
www.score.org...

Still think it's a good idea to make them the sacrificial lamb?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Off the top, I think I agree - raising the minimum wage will do more to help immigrants with work permits than ordinary Americans.

Not that it won't help low-paid Americans, but it does do more to support a "service economy" that relies on immigrants than it does to improve the overall quality of life for the average American citizen.

Very concise and to the point.

Originally posted by danwild6

I heard that the increase of minimum wage don't help corporations (YEAH) and they want to move to others countries with people who are paid less (China) so it would be bad for the economy... and the economy now is on the edge

Well you can only outsource so much. I don't think McDonalds will be able to get many people to fly to China for a Big Mac.

There already are McDonald's where your drive-up order is handled by a person in India, and then forwarded to the American handler.

Originally posted by danwild6

The problem is that service corporations won't move, but factory corporation have already moved of the US and the increase in minimum wage would just incit them more to leave.

Well if having raise your workers pay forces you out of the US then your probably not that important to the US economy.

See my post above regarding the importance of small businesses to the American economy.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitichilo
And what happen if the US economy crash and that no factory corporations are in the US? You're in deep ... because you can't produce anything, you have to import and 10s of you're dollar isn't worth a yen... And if you don't believe me, go see in the nearest Wal-Mart, all products are made in China.

While manufacturing is an important part of an economy, automation is making it less labor intensive than before. And where do major innovations in automation come from? The service sector.

In another thread, I had posted a list of what comprises the service sector. They include, but are not limited to:

Accommodation and Food Services (Sector 72)
Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services (Sector 56)
Arts, Entertainment and Recreation (Sector 71)
Educational Services (Sector 61)
Finance and Insurance (Sector 52)
Health Care and Social Assistance (Sector 62)
Information (Sector 51)
Management of Companies and Enterprises (Sector 55)
Other Services (Except Public Administration) (Sector 81)
Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (Sector 54)
Real Estate and Rental and Leasing (Sector 53)
Retail Trade (Sector 44-45)
Transportation and Warehousing (Sector 48-49)
Utilities (Sector 22)
Wholesale Trade (Sector 42)

www.census.gov...

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by marg
The illegal immigrants that come here, but then I wonder . . . how can they live on wage that are so low and feed their extended families, and have some left to send back home.

Perharps they don't pay taxes and IRS? And they work more? And they are big in the black market? Also, the US dollar is much higher than the mexican peso... so even if they send 200 US dollars, it's much higher for those in mexico.

Also, don't forget the two single biggest expenses for the taxpayer: health insurance and housing. The illegals use the ER, free of charge, and 12 of them live in one small apartment.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
jsobecky

Those are great post you got there very informative, and I agree with you in many points.

You got my vote.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Republicans tried to pass Minimum Wage increases a couple of months ago. Democrats killed it because it also included the end of the death tax.

By combining the two, it would help young people now, and later in life. It's a win-win situation. But, the Democrats killed the bill.

Republicans have got to remember this, and vote no for a stand-alone minimum wage increase.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Democrats killed it because it also included the end of the death tax.

Isn't the death tax a bad thing for the average person? So another proof that democrats are against the people.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Republicans tried to pass Minimum Wage increases a couple of months ago. Democrats killed it because it also included the end of the death tax.

I remember something like that, but I do not recall the whole story on it, will you post a link?

By combining the two, it would help young people now, and later in life. It's a win-win situation. But, the Democrats killed the bill.

You got a point, a minimum wage increase will definitely will benefit, young people starting in the job market and young single adults perhaps still living at home.

And like I say in my opening post perhaps the illegal inmigrants if they get work permits or amnesty.

Republicans have got to remember this, and vote no for a stand-alone minimum wage increase.

It will pass now because is a political tool and a political issue right now.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Here it is.

I think it's kind of ironic.

Sad, but ironic.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

[edit on 2006/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
So apparently, to the majority of senators voting, retaining the tax revenues from the "dead rich folk" for their favorite pork dishes was more important than the "benefits" to the folks who's weekly salaries would have increased by about $60 after taxes.

Democratic politicians turn my stomach. To them it's more important to "make the rich bastards pay" than to help one of their favorite constituencies. Who...by the way are nothing to congress but tools.

My bile for Dems is directed only at the elected officials, not the registered members of the party.

edit: correction - not the majority voting but all the Dems.

[edit on 11/17/2006 by darkbluesky]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry this sets me off. To the Dems it's not enough to tax every dollar you earn, and most dollars you spend. No..... these bastards also need to tax every dollar you leave behind when you die!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
My bile for Dems is directed only at the elected officials, not the registered members of the party.

Why? Who elects them?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Why? Who elects them?

Those stinkin' Indies that decide most elections.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Those stinkin' Indies that decide most elections.

So, registered Democrats are blameless, while swing voters are reprehensible?

I know what you are trying to say and I agree about the Democrat politicians, but isn't that logic just a little twisted?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Why? Who elects them?

I am glad that the feeling is for The politicians.

And Grady who elected them.

I tell you Americans that only given choices for evil comes in two parties.

The dumb and the dumbers.

But we are all Americans and we should all know that we are living in the same nation and love our country.

Even when polticians try to divided us into one evil against the other evil.

But . . . this what we got.

See . . . this is what is going to happen.

from the souce, and BTW thanks for the link.

]Prodded by moderate Republicans eager to undercut criticism by Democrats that GOP economic programs overwhelmingly favor the rich

Well it seems that the target was the rich, but I thought that democrats favor the rich.

Now it will be a compromise, Democrats will pass the bill with the minimum wage.

Bush and Republican will get to favor the rich.

And they will claim that They are giving something to the poor.

Don't you love dirty politics?

After all polticians all serve the same master.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

[I know what you are trying to say and I agree about the Democrat politicians, but isn't that logic just a little twisted?

It is....but it's Friday night, I've been out to dinner, had a few adult beverages and
my synapses are firing irratically.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join