It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah Winfrey: Parading & Self Indulgent?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I do not like Oprah Winfrey.

I think she gives way less than she gets. If she really wants my respect, she'd give at least 1% of what she truly earns and then she'll be a good samaritan in my book.

Until that day, she still wears gucci.

The End.

P.S- I edited this post because it was going to cause some troubles.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Unrealised]

Mod Edit: Removed offensive material from thread title

[edit on 11/28/2006 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Wow.

Originally posted by Unrealised
She makes such a big deal about her helping the poor around the world. THAT makes me sick.

Helping the poor around the world, how dare she! Are you hearing yourself right now?

Her book club bugs me also. Does she even READ these books? I'm sure that a woman as busy as her, what with helping the starving kids find jesus and all, doesn't have time to read.

This had to do with.....?

What is it with people today? I mean trying to save lives is so last century. Get with the times.

Oprah, I can't stand your little games. I hate the way you fool everybody into thinking you're a good person. Anyone with as much money and business drive such as yourself has to be a shallow money-hungry individual indeed.

I'm sure she is deeply affected by your educated opinion. Oprah needs to smarten up and get herself some rims, a new sound system, and some kick ass shades. I mean, building homes for Katrina victims, assisting AIDS victims, etc., is all a waste of time right? Shallow, money-hungry, ...Right.

You are within your right to your opinion. But inform us what you have done in life that puts you on this pedestal to judge someone else. Your blatant ignorance to the good deeds this woman has done is alarming.

On another note, Why the hell am I defending Oprah? This wasn't on my to do list tonight.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You missed the point, in that she blatantly makes such a big deal about it.

Helping is people is great. Telling everybody that you have done so is not.

On one hand she is eating deep fried donuts and on the other she is handing out so-called love.

Get my point?

If not, fine.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I get your point loud and clear.

But she is not to blame for how people react to her message. She does good deeds, sometimes this is the basis for her show. Not every show, but sometimes it is. It is the media and the public that turn it into a big deal.

Your anger should be directed towards the media, not Oprah herself.

She tells the story, the media glorifies her.

I believe she should be glorified. Anyone who donates the money, time, and efforts she does is deserving. We can call her sycophantic all day, fact is she does a lot for many. I fail to see how this is about herself.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
And I get what you're saying too, buddy.

That's why I changed the thread.

Sorry to offend, she just gets my goat, or should I say the MEDIA gets my goat, which it absolutely does.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Unrealised,

I can see what you're saying, because I felt that way for a while too. I changed my mind when I saw her work with Habitat for Humanity, post-Katrina.

So, I get where you're coming from.

My question for you is: why did you include "ho" in your title?

Have you heard that she is sexually promiscuous? Or prostituting herself for money?

Or did you think it would just be cool to say?

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Oprah and her show, magazines, book clubs, etc. isn't exactly my cup of tea, but you have to recognize she really did well for herself, especially since she came from a dirt poor background.

I don't think anyone should criticize her for helping people, even if she uses it as a selling point.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Unrealised,
My question for you is: why did you include "ho" in your title?

Have you heard that she is sexually promiscuous? Or prostituting herself for money?

Or did you think it would just be cool to say?

I can't answer that one. Ho isn't in my vocabulary, it was just a derogatory term, and not to be taken too seriously.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
She could be my sugar momma anytime. As long as she kept up on her Lipo, my Lamborghini payments and my penthouse rent, I'd hit it.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
She could be my sugar momma anytime. As long as she kept up on her Lipo, my Lamborghini payments and my penthouse rent, I'd hit it.

:shk:
:w:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

I'd hit myself if she was my sugar momma.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I can't answer that one. Ho isn't in my vocabulary, it was just a derogatory term, and not to be taken too seriously.

Um... ok, so, because she's a woman that you don't like, you thought it was okay to call her a "ho"?

If you plan to "deny ignorance," you might want to check that sexism at the door.

I know you said not to take it too seriously, but it is in the title, which makes it a bit misleading. I clicked on it expecting to hear about her 'ho-ish' exploits.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It got my attention, I must admit. Not because I was expecting to read any sexpose, just because, to quote another poster, she gets my goat, all I was expecting was a standard rant.

I ranted about her in another thread, and now I'm going to rant about her again.

I was really offended by the way she made her trip to New Orleans post-Katrina about herself. I've noticed that with a certain section of the media, really what they are about is themselves and their message is actually just a way to put themselves on screen. I assume they have some kind of self-esteem problem...

But my latest reason to hate Oprah (I've discovered that I actually enjoy expending energy doing that, must be a very wierd mental and physical workout) was this:

"this is something all parents must see"

Okay, that's not an exact quote, but the words "parents" and "must see" or "have to see" or "shouldn't miss" were in extremely close proximity in the same sentence.

My question is this:

Are you a mother, Oprah? If not, what the
makes you think you are qualified to judge what is and what is not vital for me to know about my children? What the
makes you think you are qualified to advise me on parenting and what the
makes you think you are qualified to be an authority on parenting?

I'll accept that certain things are common sense, but if anyone begins a discussion about parenting with the words "Oprah said...", I will give them ten seconds to deride what she said before I threaten to end all contact with them for all time. Which might not be a bad move as it would probably lessen the frequency with which I :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
Are you a mother, Oprah? If not, what the
makes you think you are qualified to judge what is and what is not vital for me to know about my children?

I totally agree with you. I don't have children, therefore I do not give advice on children. I think that would be a good rule for all of us:

If you don't know what the
you're talking about, mind your
business.

I also don't actually like her. I still dislike her, maybe... 85%. She gets 15% approval because I'm sure those evacuted New Orleanians are quite happy in their news homes, and I do, begrudgingly, have to admit that she paid for them.

I just wanted to be crystal clear on that.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
In who is probably a product of Spain, China, and Egypt and Atlantis before that in her past lives; the less than stellar Oprah Winfrey is hardly a Martin Luther King of sorts in her supposedly honorable parade of crusades. She is perhaps too self-indulgent to think beyond her own impulsive desires as propagated by her putting only her own individual interests before anything to do with ambition. Decided as too haughty to ever actually be taken seriously as her somewhat whimsical personality was and still is immediately the guise of a news anchor, the great Oprah should have jumped ship to CNN just after the 80s had ended if only to catch the Gulf War at the start of the next decade.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This thread is the perfect example of, if I may, a rookie mistake.

Unrealised, I have been guilty of this so many times in the past. You have a message that you try to get across, but we allow the words we speak to get in our own way. Rather than getting feedback from the message itself, our words are rammed down our throat. We have some superb members on this site, and they pick apart posts. Every single word is held accountable in our posts. The more we post, the more we come to understand that.

I hope you don't take anything here personal, because it's just the way we operate. Personally, I've learned to proof read and be careful with my wordings.

What I tend to do is when I create a thread, my initial post I remain completely neutral. As members begin to reply, I then express more and more of my opinion so the thread can take life. Rather than one member coming in, as I did, and picking apart the initial post.

Your insertion of the word Ho in the title is what I speak of. Probably never even crossed your mind twice, was not a big deal. Yet your berated with posts over it. Sometimes a thread can be dominated with the underlying message.

Again take no offense, it is threads that I completely disagree with, that make AboveTopSecret interesting.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The thing that bothers me about her is that she could probably do a lot for gay rights if she just came out of the closet. What is she worried about.....losing money? She's got hundreds of millions in the bank.

Peace

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

If she really wants my respect, she'd give at least 1% of what she truly earns and then she'll be a good samaritan in my book.

How do you know she doesn't? Personally, I've got big respect for her. She's got an extremely powerful forum, and seems to me to use it in a positive way. I'm speaking third-hand because I don't actually watch her show, but from what I've come to read and hear about her, I think she's an incredible woman who has done a lot of very positive things. My wife thinks she's great.

A TV show that actually encourages people to read - that's a big deal right there. One mention on Oprah can send a book to the top of the best seller list.

I don't know how much she actually gives away. Does anyone?

The gay thing is irrelevant to me. Whether she is and chooses to keep it private, or isn't, is her personal situation, and if anything, I admire her all the more for keeping it that way.

Just don't ask me to watch the show.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I do not like Oprah Winfrey.

I think she gives way less than she gets. If she really wants my respect, she'd give at least 1% of what she truly earns and then she'll be a good samaritan in my book.

Until that day, she still wears gucci.

The End.

First off, are you donating 1% of you income to good causes? Because whether you're rich or poor, 1% would still help. Every penny helps, right?

Now Oprah's net worth, as of August, was $1.5 Billion. That would make her, by your standards, required to donate $15 million dollars.

Oprah, according to Newsweek, has donated over $200 million, which would be about 18% (.pdf file) of her net worth.

She wears Gucci? Hell yeah! Why not? She has pulled herself up very well, would you rather see her in rags, with a patch over an eye, limping with wrinkles, feeding a Somalian child?

I believe that Oprah deserves as much criticism for wrong actions, just as much as the next guy, but this seems a little overboard in my opinion. :shk:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
As stated by Chissler, I am a rookie.

Perhaps I won't make the same 'mistake' next time, perhaps I will. It still stands that I don't like the woman, I never have.

No, niteboy82, I am not donating money to any organization because I am struggling. I can hardly afford to keep myself in time with the world let alone give my hard earned dollars to an organization I don't trust.

I used to work for WWFN (world wide fund for nature). I went door to door to raise ca$h funds for the company so they could save sick and injured animals.

Anyway, my boss took us all out to dinner, and you know how he paid for it? With the money just raised by us. I asked him how he was going to pay back the money, and he replied "Tax will cover it."

I quit that second.

So I can be charitable, don't say I'm not, but it has to be for the right causes.

Anyway, let me say I'm sorry for offending all you Oprah lovers out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join