It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumped all my Elton John records!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. Mod, you can move it.

----
I don't have any problem with people practicing their sexual preference, but when it comes to propagate their world opinion on religion, that's where it bothers me.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
"Celebrities" are always spouting their opinions on issues, makes no difference in the real world but makes them feel important I guess.
Like Bono and Bob Geldof and their sanctimonious crap about abolishing world poverty ...hahahahaha

Like that's ever gonna happen. It get's them on the news though for a bit of free publicity.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
He's got enourmous talent and mucho mucho dinero$$.

When you bought his records, most of the money went to him. You cannot get it back.

I love Elton John and i agree with him. He's correct. It is religion that is at the core of peoples beliefs. I dont see how this is so hard to beleive.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You threw all your Elton records away because of that article?

I'm going to suggest the 12 hour rule for you. When you feel like making a destructive decision out of emotion, give yourself 12 hours before you make that decision.

Also, lighten up with your faith.

If so many people didn't take so much out of just one book that said, a man shall not lay with another man—we could make so much progress as a species. Elton was right.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
When it comes to any kind of artist, I really don't judge their "work" by their political opinions, religion or anything about their personal lives. I would'nt throw out a book, cd, or a painting because I did'nt like the artist's personal leanings.

If I like their work, that's all that counts with me really.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I can agree with his talent but to justify his practices, he seems like he wants everybody to be gay. What will happen to the world? Religion helped civilizing or calming humanity. It brought most people to be humble as opposed to extremists.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I see religious people give their opinion on homosexuality all the time and it's usually not a positive one. Why shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to give their opinion on religion?

Double standard, maybe?

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Organized religion fuels anti-gay discrimination and other forms of bias, pop star Elton John said

That is what Elton John said. Never made any mention in that article about wanting everyone to be gay. As a matter of fact, this article isn't about being gay. Only lists anti-gay sentiment as being fueled by organized religion.

This article is about Organized Religion and how it fuels bias. Nothing more. Elton obviously takes it personally.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I mean who really cares what Elton John thinks politically or religiously...There are plenty of churches that allow homosexuality. Let him go there...

[edit on 12-11-2006 by MasterJedi]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterJedi
I know you didn't plan on this thread becoming a platform for others to state their view of homosexuality, but it has

It has now and you're the first person who brought it up.

Congratulations.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The thread has not allowed a view on homosexuality. Your just icthin to cause drama.

Maybe you should face those feelings and urges you have. By the way, doesn't mean your gay.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm fine with my feelings...thanks tho.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Is this what they mean by a threadkiller?:shk:

Anyway, the only person you're hurting is yourself by throwing out his records. The only way to possibly hurt Elton is to set out to damage his reputation-
That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I came this far to appreciate Elton John music since 70's.
In fact I even sang some of his song in Karaoke Hotel bar during business travel.
And I did good justice in singing them, given with my extensive abilities in music since I was 9 yrs old. Plus being an organizer of group bands and concerts, I learned the compexity of music business.

What I'm trying to say, if a person is given a gift like EJ, he should be thankful for whatever belief he may have, which I hope he has and not proposing or suggesting to ban the Giver. Then, if he still does not believe in such Giver, then I rest my case. Where do the rest here fall into?

I thanked all the replies that were made here and noticed that there are more support about homosexuality.
Now, we can be sure, and should be ready, where our culture and the culture of our children is heading. I am not sure about it but it will be more complex and complicated. The controversies will not stop. The laws will always be challenged. The arguments are never ending, and issues will always be raised. All for the glory of constant self-gratification or created kingdom.

Let us now enter, discuss and write laws on homosexuality among animals, insects, plants or any species and bombard the whole system of creation with chaos.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
dgtempe, with all due respect, after I read most of your contibution here, I developed a great admiration of your insights. I'm in no way hurt throwing EJ's records. I intended really to get rid of them a long time ago.
It is regrettable why EJ step on the issue of long ancient history of spirituality. One way or another, everyone should submit to his/her Divine Creator and assessed all the accomplishments, struggle, sacrifices and success encountered in life. If these were not recognized, our self-worth would be empty and leads to self-centeredness.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

This is rediculous. You did know that he was gay right?

And you did know that Islam, Christianity (for the most part), and in Judaism all villify gays right? That would be like (don't take it personally) A klansman throwing away his Jay-Z albums because Jay-z said the KKK hates blacks.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
He's a musical genius. Who cares

who he sleeps with? and btw, he's married to another man.

He's probably happier than some of us are.

AND he's my top choice of people to spend the weekend with.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
No, rasobasi, I did not know that he was! When I listen to music, I just enjoy the melody and digest the meaning of the lyrics.
I really do not pay attention to the personal lives of the singers/artists and likewise with actors/actresses.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If that's the case, I think you threw away his records too hastily. You may disagree with him, but that dowsn't mean you need to stop enjoying the melody, and digesting the meaning of his lyrics. As a matter of fact, it may give you more insight into the real meaning of his lyrics. Goodbye yellow brick road? Daniel?

Anyway, just keep listening to the music and enjoying it.

Edit: I thought I might add a few more people you may not have known about.

Freddy Mercury from Queen
Boy George
George Michaels

And many more en.wikipedia.org...:Gay_musicians

And I'm afraid to tell you what the Rolling Stones song Angie was about.

[edit on 13-11-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Go ahead and throw out his more recent albums because they suck anyways, but his '70s music and into the early '80s was genius.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join