It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Religion Were You Born Into? Have You Changed Religions?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Or have you changed into agnosticism or atheism?

Which religion is/was your parents? My Father has always been Roman Catholic. My mother as an adult converted to Roman Catholicism from the Methodist Church.

I was born into Roman Catholicism and reconverted into Roman Catholicism after a 6 year period of rebellion 11-17 years ago. I do not support all of the principles of the Roman Catholic Church, but after research into all of the major religions of the world, I have discovered that it is a Great Religion.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Raised Roman Catholic. After much research I found out the real story of religion. I have no use for it. I am however a born again Christian.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There's an old thread about this very same subject, but whatever,
it's probably been a year since it had any responses.

My fathers side is Mormon, my mothers side is ChristioCatholic.

I was raised in a Secular Christian environment.

I was christian up until 6, at which point I started partially believing
in the old Greek gods.

By 11 I was Aetheist , and continued to be a pure Aetheist up until
I was 15, from which point I becaeme Buddhist-Aetheist.

When I was 16 I started thinking about the basics of Theranism.

I am currently Theran-Agnostic.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
Raised Roman Catholic. After much research I found out the real story of religion. I have no use for it. I am however a born again Christian.

Which denomination in "born-again-Christian"? Do you engage in private worship, public worship, or both?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
There's an old thread about this very same subject, but whatever,
it's probably been a year since it had any responses.

My fathers side is Mormon, my mothers side is ChristioCatholic.

I was raised in a Secular Christian environment.

I was christian up until 6, at which point I started partially believing
in the old Greek gods.

By 11 I was Aetheist , and continued to be a pure Aetheist up until
I was 15, from which point I becaeme Buddhist-Aetheist.

When I was 16 I started thinking about the basics of Theranism.

I am currently Theran-Agnostic.

Quite a complex mind you have. Although I do not believe in Theranism, I thank you for your comments.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I was raised Roman Catholic and went to Catholic schools until I was 18.

I'm not a part of any organized religion anymore, but I do still strongly believe in G-d. I guess you could say my ideas are quite similar to those of deism, maybe?

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
No denomination. Denominations are religion. I'm not interested in what religion has to say, I stick to the Bible. My business kept me tied up on Sundays until recently.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If you changed religion, or became an agnostic or atheist, which of the 5 was the cause?

1) Stopped believing in God.
2) Stopped believing in Christ.
3) Stopped believing in the Holy Spirit.
4) Stopped believing in another Spiritual Leader.
5) A combination of 1-4.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Parents are both LDS/Mormon. All five of my siblings are also devout Mormons. I'm expected to go on a mission at this point, but I'm considering leaving the church because I'm not certain the Book of Mormon is true or that Joseph Smith is a prophet. "Moroni's promise" didn't work in my case. I've read the book a few times, and have prayed for years to know the truth, and despite all the amazing experiences I've had, I've never received a clear answer on this particular subject. I don't see why I ought to associate myself with the church if God isn't particular about which Christian denomination I follow. For that reason, I choose no denomination for the moment because I haven't found any that have all the attributes I seek in a religion. Besides that, I don't think Christ's church will be restored to the earth until he returns anyway. I continue to believe in God, Christ, and the holy spirit.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isaac Tanner Madsen
Parents are both LDS/Mormon. All five of my siblings are also devout Mormons. I'm expected to go on a mission at this point, but I'm considering leaving the church because I'm not certain the Book of Mormon is true or that Joseph Smith is a prophet. "Moroni's promise" didn't work in my case. I've read the book a few times, and have prayed for years to know the truth, and despite all the amazing experiences I've had, I've never received a clear answer on this particular subject. I don't see why I ought to associate myself with the church if God isn't particular about which Christian denomination I follow. For that reason, I choose no denomination for the moment because I haven't found any that have all the attributes I seek in a religion. Besides that, I don't think Christ's church will be restored to the earth until he returns anyway. I continue to believe in God, Christ, and the holy spirit.

Thank you for your comments. God Bless You for remaining faithful to the Trinity in your Spiritual battles.

All the Best!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I was born into Christianity (with a choice to go to church or follow it). I do not go to Church but it is a step that I will some day take in my elderly years to seek religious spiritual insight.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Was your change of religions due to "thinking for yourself" or "thinking like others", or both? Was your change into agnosticism or atheism due to "thinking for yourself" or "thinking like others", or both?

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Was your change of religions due to "thinking for yourself" or "thinking like others", or both? Was your change into agnosticism or atheism due to "thinking for yourself" or "thinking like others", or both?

Thinking for myself.

I generally don't think like others on most things.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
My life has been divided this way:

0-23 years old: I was Roman Catholic and almost exclusively thought like others.
23-29 years old: I was atheist and only thought for myself.
29-40 years: I converted back to Roman Catholicism and mostly think for myself (with God's help I pray!!!) and selectively think like some others.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I was born into a christian family, although my mother and father were divorced when I was young so my mother was always working therefore we didn't attend church regularly. In my early teenage years I attended a few churches (Christian, Not too sure about denomination) with friends until about 2 or 3 years ago when I started to see what was going on in the world.

Now I don't have a religion, and no i'm in no way an atheist. I didn't change religions for any of the reasons you've listed although i don't believe that Jesus was/is the supreme being over everything that ever is/was, but that's not a discussion for this thread.

I think for myself, and about others. I want love to spread across the globe. I'm sick of oppression, and I want to see the people of earth liberated. That is the basics of my story.

Peace and love,

Pancho

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I was born and baptised lutheran, went to a private lutheran school until 6th grade.
Every monday my teacher would read aloud how much each family donated to the church on sunday. That alone got me to rethink and research religions in general. Since then I've been kinda an agnostic/wiccan mixture in my beliefs. I'm happy with this, it makes me feel good. It's probably what I'll remain.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Which of the following, or any combination of the following, caused you to change religions, change from agnosticism/atheism to religion, or change from religion to agnosticism/atheism?

1) God.
2) Jesus Christ.
3) Holy Spirit.
4) Other Spiritual Leader.
5) Bible.
6) Science.
7) Evolution.
8) A Book.
9) A Family Member.
10) A Friend.
11) A Stranger.
12) School.
13) Work.
14) Leisure.

For me, my conversion from Roman Catholicism to agnosticism/atheism 17 years ago was caused by 5, 6,7, and 12. My conversion back to Roman Catholicism 11 years ago was caused by all of the above, 1-14.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by GreatTech]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I was born into Southern Baptist Christianity; at age 10 I de-coverted to Atheism, and later to LaVeyan Satanism, to Theistic Satanism, to Buddhism and Taoism, to Wicca and neo-Paganism, back to Theistic Satanism, and now, finally, to Roman Catholicism.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

By GreatTech

Or have you changed into agnosticism or atheism?

Which religion is/was your parents? My Father has always been Roman Catholic. My mother as an adult converted to Roman Catholicism from the Methodist Church.

I was born into Roman Catholicism and reconverted into Roman Catholicism after a 6 year period of rebellion 11-17 years ago. I do not support all of the principles of the Roman Catholic Church, but after research into all of the major religions of the world, I have discovered that it is a Great Religion.

Does my location on Earth count in the decision? Does my geometry matter?

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
My Dad studied to be a Jesuit(Regis College in Kingston Ontario) priest so we were originally raised Roman Catholic with flair

In my teens I started reading about different religions, from plain old christianity to satanism and everything in between.

It was the hypocracies in nearly all religions combined with the "fear factor" that turned me off of them entirely.

I am now just boring old spiritual...basically believing that the best I can do in this world is be as good to myself and my fellow humans as possible. No rewards. No punishment. No exclusivity. Afterlife or no...

We're all connected, like it or not.

My sister still believes in Catholosism, and my brother is insane and I'd be frightened to find out what he believes.

My daughter was instructed to learn about religion before making a choice. She chose Buddhism after a lot of soul searching and questioning as well as experiencing first hand several religions.

My Mother was raised strict Roman Catholic as well BTW...but later converted to Judaism. I think she fell of that wagon though and could now be classified more along the lines of the Anti-Christ...

edited to add:

see my new signature - thanks duzey!

[edit on 11/10/2006 by justgeneric]

[edit on 11/11/2006 by justgeneric]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join