It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More 'Glass Worms' On Mars!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
So we've had a load of the 'Glass Worms' on Mars sometime ago which were photographed in a particular area on Mars, and released by NASA. This created quite a stir and our worthies had a tough time trying to explain them away as a natural geological formation. Here..

NASA image enhanced by Jeffrey McCann
MGS MO4-00291

Now that's not the end of the story. Up comes some more photographs of these 'Glass Worms' from Acidalia, another area of Mars. Note the commonality of structures in vastly different areas and terrain!! Here...

M0300102
Courtesy: Marsunearthed and Metaresearch

So what the heck is going on? Have the 'Martians' developed some sort of stealth technology to hide the minute details in photographs taken from satellites? It is said that 'they' are perhaps a few million years ahead of us! So stealthing themselves is perhaps not such a big deal after all!!

But I don't subscribe to this theory at all. Too far fetched! But the glass worms seem to be 'crawling' all over Mars!! Whodunit??

The bottom line is that there are more things out there on Mars than we can ever imagine! (Shades of Horatio)!!

P.S. Note the shine on the dome in the first photograph!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Very interesting find Mike.

Wonder if these things are corpses or fossils of something that was alive
or just a strange martian terrain object?
It looks almost snake like. Maybe martians are reptiles after all.
Any chance of a link for the pics?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
What about simple erosion?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egotosum
What about simple erosion?

Uh.. what about it?

Looks like an artificial construction to me of some sort. Obviously some kind of pipeline structure but it tends to follow the terrain for some reason.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
To me they look like sand dunes in canyons. I suppose if you look at them right, they can appear to be "glass worms".

IMO it's just an optical illusion.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
Any chance of a link for the pics?

Yeah! Here- Marsunearthed and Metaresearch Just Google them in!!

And here

[edit on 4-11-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I don't see any glass worms.

I do see though unique geologic features.

They look more like giant dunes more than
anything to me.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
www.badastronomy.com...
this website gose into detail about it what it might be. i have no idea what to make of that because if you look at it one way it could easily be a vallley but if ya look at it another it looks like a worm.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Its darned weird whatever it is.
NASA should send one of the new probes to look at them closer.
They sort of looked like steps to me.
It does look as though there is a dune effect,with dust piling against something(ribs of a tunnel? maybe).
The piles of dust look very uniform.
Also in one picture you see dunes going in two different directions.
How would this happen?
If wind was responsible,the dunes would be in the same direction not at 90 degrees to each other.

(edit)Anyone got a scale for any of the pictures?
How big are these whatevers?

[edit on 4-11-2006 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
They’re sand dunes. Nothing more. Nothing less. For Hi-res downloadable images of these and other Martian landscapes, go to the source at Martian Dunes. The pics are from NASA (via the MSSS contract).

To get the original photos for your own perusal, go to One of Many Martian Dune Source Files. For close-up fun (i.e., realistic scrutiny), download the hi-res GIF then load back in to your favorite imaging software/viewer. Zoom in to your hearts content (but don’t expect to see any camels). The dunes are quite unmistakabel at about 600% to 700% zoom. Glass worms, sorry to say, they are not...

There's also many other interesting Mars hi-res photos to enjoy here as well. For a real good time, grab a pair of those red/blue 3D glasses (What! You haven't saved any??!) and check the Mars in 3D images!

[This is a mod post from an ancillary thread.]

Enjoy!
Keep looking up, y'all!

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Silicone:
...Anyone got a scale for any of the pictures?
How big are these whatevers?

The link in the post above; to Martian Dune Source File contains the image acquisition parameters and surface feature derivative values as well.

From the image dimensions you can interpolate the feature dimensions. (a quick, rough estimate puts the linear aggregate dune features at about ~2-5 km in length per set, with individual dunes of ~50-100 meter widths).

Happy hunting...

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think these are just natural formations. I saw a much newer picture of these fro the MRO I believe, and you can really make them out as natural..

I am really excited about the picture with the three holes though... Still don't know what those could be.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pompano
I am really excited about the picture with the three holes though... Still don't know what those could be.

Yeah, those 'three holes' are exiting!! But have a look at the similarity of an artists illustration to these 'glass worms'. Uncanny isn't it?

Remember, if they were sand dunes, their ribs shaped due to wind, then how come the ribs are in different directions on different 'glass worms' in the same area? Pretty localised directional wind eddies I should say!!! And that's impossible!!

So now have a look at the illustration....

The 'glass tubes' we're seeing on Mars resembles this illustration and is PROBABLY some sort of an ancient transport system!!

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
notice the way the light reflects...very similar to the "tubes"...and multi directional as well.

MOC Image e1203345ida.wr.usgs.gov...

The tubes I feel are more likely a natural geographic feature. The lines are very similar to that of the tubes.

View Image here also

[edit on 11/4/2006 by justgeneric]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The wind follows the contours of the terrain. Prevailing westerlies for example would shape dunes accordingly as the wind winds through a canyon or trough. When the wind blows from a different direction dunes in an adjacent canyon or serpentine lowland would likewise then follow the varied countour intervals once more. Viewed from an altitude, your looking into the bottoms of canyons filled with lighter colored loose sand shaped into dunes as the wind whips its way through.

The picture of 'uncanny' tubeshaped structures is meaningless and irrelevant. We can easily find photos or illustrations of live earthworms, ribbed hoses, garden hoses, air ducting, any number of things that look somewhat similar (with some imagination) and lay them on the ground, color the sky red, CGI a few astronuts, and voila - see the resemblence...

Sorry folks - it's sand. Just sand. Sand whipped into dunes by strong winds in the valleys and canyons of a cold and desolate planet. It's geology. Martian geology. It may dissapoint some to accept this, but IMO it is nothing more than this. Find me a pic of anything that looks as perfectly symmetrical and evenly spaced as the ribbing of mikes lovely fantasy illustration and we may have something more to contemplate.

Don't mean to offend anyone - I just don't see more than is actually there. Wishful thinking is not the same as empirical evidence...

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Interesting and I'm not so quick to write them off as just a natural occurence.

Is it possible that they are some type of creation because of volcanic activity from eons past?

Is there anything here on Earth that's similar?

Anyways.. they are definitely not just 'sand blown around'.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
As a few others have said, and I think Outrageo gave the best explaination, they have to be sand dunes.

Look at the pictures, they may look like tube structures, but the 'lines' that we see along the 'tubes' are not equally spaced, and are not always inline with each other. I'm sure any civilisation that would build such things, would create something like in the image mikesingh posted.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Lol, how about worms that are under water? I am almost sure I have seen those worms on Animal Planet or something.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
P.S. Note the shine on the dome in the first photograph!

That is one of the problems of seeing a 3D object in a 2D photo.

If you look at the side of your browser's window, you may see what is called a "scroll-bar". In that, you may see a rectangular area that lets you "pick-it up and drag" to the corresponding position on the browser window.
Do you notice the effect of the brighter line on the top and left edges? Do you notice the darker line on the right and bottom edges? Those lines are there to make us see that rectangular area as an object over the scroll-bar instead of simply a rectangular area.
If the position of the lighter and darker lines is exchanged then we see it as hole in the scroll-bar.
If you have one of those graphics card on the computer that lets you rotate the screen you can see what I mean.

I was a victim of that effect with a photo in a different thread, and I couldn't see it as it really was until I put the picture in a image program and rotated it 180 degrees. Only then could I understand what the picture really was showing.

I suggest you do the same, put this picture (the original, please do not work with anything but the original) in a image editing program, rotate it 180 degrees and see if you have the same perception of the image, i.e. if you still see those things as volumes over the ground or as canyons.

Originally posted by mikesinghBut have a look at the similarity of an artists illustration to these 'glass worms'. Uncanny isn't it?

The 'glass tubes' we're seeing on Mars resembles this illustration and is PROBABLY some sort of an ancient transport system!!

I suppose its the other way, the illustration resembles the photos.

Which is the oldest, the photos or the illustration?

top topics

join