It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Other news you wont see on CNN: Oaxaca Protest Photos !!!WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Besides the press not being able to tell the world what is happening, and their not wanting to, in light of bigger stories, in their eyes at least, there has been some very rough occurences south of the border. Any one know any other reports on this Mexican disturbance?

Captions by Associated Press

[edit on 30-10-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You are right advisor, there has not been anything about this situation on the news.

Perhaps if this was reported, it would raise sympathy towards illegal immigrants.

And as we both know, that is the last thing that the 4th branch of the government wants to do...

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The Asamblea Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca (APPO) and the local school teachers have been involved in a fight for some time (whatever the affiliation).

Mexico “sending in troops” to the southern state (or any state) is nothing new...per se...tourist dollars are at stake. Without tourist dollars in action, there are regions that will never be touched by law or oreder. Mexico is no friend to the people, especially their own.

Why would there be concern?...there is little to gain from discussiing this. Simply turn a blind-eye and focus on 'crap'...the world only consits of the US, its' Allies and Iraq etc...

mg

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The first photos are of a jounalist who got shot in the abdomen so it's no wonder there aren't any stories coming out of there. Just like during the election, the govt is keeping a tight wrap on everything down there right now, and as usual the situation in Mexico is FUBAR.

From what I hear things are already worse in Oaxaca as we speak.
iraqwar.mirror-world.ru...

After the elections it seemed as if Mexico was on the brink of civil war, and then everyone hushed up, now this. Seems to me as if they are on the verge of collapse.

[edit on 30-10-2006 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I was reading about this last night on the BBC's website, but your right I haven't seen it on the T.V.
The BBC have about 10 different stories on this starting from 15 June.
I know a lot of people don't like the BBC, but they cover a lot of interesting news items that others seem to ignore.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I just noticed that the issue made the front page on the Colorado Daily.

I predict that the issue will slowly begin to surface on T.V.

It will probably make the evening news.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
How can that raise sympaties for illegal inmigrants?

I am concern that if the situation in Mexico doesn't get better we may have more than just an exodus of Mexican political refugees as the result of the violence.

That gets me scare not sorry.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have not seen anything on CNN TV, but they did report it two days ago online.

What began as a teacher's strike in May has become a continuing battle for control of Oaxaca's streets as protesters have occupied the central plaza for five months, building barricades, seizing radio and television stations, driving out police and burning buses.

Teachers began protesting for higher pay and better working conditions. But after police attacked one of their demonstrations in June, the teachers extended their demands to include a call for the resignation of Ruiz and were joined by leftists, students and Indian groups.

The protesters accuse the governor of rigging the 2004 election.

Friday's clashes came a day after teachers agreed to end their strike, which has kept 1.3 million children out of classes across the state. The move had been expected to take the sting out of the protests.

www.cnn.com...

This has apparently been going on for months, and turned deadly when police tried to regain control. Let's hope it doesn't get worse and cause an exodus.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I just found this it was posted 30 minutes ago or so, I couldn't help but laugh.

Mexico: police operation in Oaxacas "transparent"

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I did see this mentioned on CNN this morning, but don't know about any other networks. They reported an American journalist was killed, which is also in this update.

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- The Mexican Congress has called on the embattled governor of Oaxaca state to step aside in a bid to restore order after five months of often violent protests that have paralyzed the state's capital city.

Both the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies approved the resolution asking for the resignation of Gov. Ulises Ruiz, who has steadfastly refused to yield to demands by demonstrators that he step aside. The Senate vote was unanimous.

Over the weekend, President Vicente Fox sent federal troops into Oaxaca, in an effort to end the violence.

His action came after three people -- including American documentary filmmaker Bradley Will -- were killed Friday when plainclothes gunmen opened fire on a blockade set up by demonstrators.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Check these out.

ariadna.elmundo.es...

www.elmundo.es...

[edit on 31-10-2006 by zuri]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Narconews is a good site to stay informed and keep up with the political news in Latin America:

Main Page: narconews.com...

Oaxaca Coverage: narconews.com...

A Call from the Zapatistas: Oaxaca Is Not Alone
Shut-Down of Roads, Highways and the Media on November 1
General Strike Called for November 20

APPO Asamblea Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca - Wiki
(made note of the invasion also)

[edit on 31-10-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Every one,
and a global pat on the back. This is working together, I must say, did not expect the out come of this thread to become as it did. Keeping an eye on those other reports and all is very key in my opinion.

Makes me wonder why the mainstream is not covering it, while every one else is.
I bet it might have something to do with media black out, and not all media are going along with the fed game any more.

Thank you all, for keep tabs on this developing incident.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here's some articles in the mainstream news:

Killed in Mexican Protest; Police Move In NY Times
Oaxaca Protesters Vow to Keep Fighting Forbes
Mexico's feds fight to control restive city CNN
Mexican Police Raid Fails To Calm Oaxaca CBS
Mexico stocks fall as violence continues in Oaxaca Reuters
Mexican Police Advance Into Oaxaca ABC
Federal Police Take Control of Mexico's Embattled Oaxaca FOX

Citizens take part in a march in favour of Governor of Oaxaca Ulises Ruiz in Oaxaca City October 31, 2006. REUTERS/Daniel Aguilar (MEXICO)

More photos here

This is fallout from their presidential election and since the poor felt cheated that AMLO is not office, they now have the beginnings of a peasant revolt.

ATS Growing Crisis in Mexico 15-8-2006

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
BBC.co.uk has been covering it for some time. They do have a news bias segment on News 24 every Sunday which addresses questions as to why a story wasn't covered or if it was, why it was presented in a certain way. Members of the public can send in questions to ask the producers.

Most of the time, the answers are fairly logical as to why a story gets bumped. Usually, it is just air time and you have to realise that not many people are interested in Mexico when there are things going on closer to home.

If you watch the website, especially for science stories or other significant but very local stories, they usually do make it onto the TV at some point, but there is only so many minutes in a hour before they have to start again.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
A lot of this action down there has been going on for quite a while, there has just been more overshadowing news. Its a carry over from the Chiapas Civil war that started back in '94. I lived in Belize & Guatamala in 2000 and had some interesting experiences to say the least that carried over to entire region. While just outside of Flores in Aug 2000 I met to American ex-pats, whom lived in Guatamala at a fair. After drinking with the two for a while they divulged that they were essential mercenaries working for the mexican gov in order to eliminate unwanted residents. Essentially they told me they would drive into MX from Guat, kidnap a farmer, pay a tithe to the border guards on both sides and bring him to their base in Guat. Once their they would have clients fly in from around the world to hunt the guy. I was quite skeptical at first and then after my return to the states one of the guys was arrested on Caye Caulker for strangling a tourist. I believe this area in Latin America is constantly on the edge and constantly covered up by major media outlets to reduce the knowledge of the instability that happens along our borders.

bandit

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Oaxaca Situation Unacceptable Prensa Latina

Mexico, Oct 30 (Prensa Latina) Mexican opposition leader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador called indignant and unacceptable the situation in Oaxaca with an anti-popular, sinister, repressive governor.

In a letter to the nation, the ex presidential candidate that the Federal Police occupation does not help improve the situation, adding as sole solution Gov. Ulises Ruíz" resignation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Oaxaca crisis threatens incoming Mexican president Reuters AlertNet

Viva la revolucion? Let's not forget that Lopez Obrador has organized the largest political demonstrations in Mexico's history and now the EZLN is joining in.

The New York City Independent Media Center Responds to the Death of Brad Will
Last Communique from NYC Indymedia Journalist Brad Will

Note: NYC Indymedia is where slain photojournalist Brad Will was employed.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Oct 30, 2006 9:08 PM
Subject EZLN on Oaxaca-Tlazos ICU
Body: OFFICIAL NOTICE OF THE REVOLUTIONARY INDIGENOUS CLANDESTINE COMMITTEE -
MILITARY COMMAND OF ZAPATISTA ARMY OF NATIONAL LIBERATION.
MEXICO.

30 OF OCTOBER OF 2006.

TO THE TOWN OF MEXICO:
TO THE TOWNS OF THE WORLD:
TO ALL THE OTHER IN MEXICO AND NORTH OF THE RIO GRANDE:
TO ALL THE INTERNATIONAL SIXTH:
COMPANIONS: SISTERS & BROTHERS:

AS IT IS OF PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE, YESTERDAY, 29 OF OCTOBER OF 2006, The FEDERAL FORCES OF THE GOVERNMENT OF VICENTE FOX, ATTACKED THE TOWN OF OAXACA AND IT'S WORTHIER REPRESENTATIVE, THE POPULAR ASSEMBLY OF THE TOWNS OF OAXACA, The APPO.

AS OF TODAY, THE FEDERAL POLICE FORCES HAVE ASSASSINATED AT LEAST THREE PEOPLE, AMONG THEM A MINOR OF AGE; LEFT MANY PEOPLE HURT, AMONG THEM SEVERAL OAXAQUEÑA WOMEN; AND MANY WERE ARRESTED AND TRANSFERRED ILLEGALLY TO MILITARY PRISONS. ADDED TO ALL THIS ARE THE DEAD, ARRESSTEES AND MISSING WHO FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE MOBILIZATION THAT DEMANDS THE RESIGNATION OF ULISES RUIZ FROM THE OAXACAN GOVERNMENT.

THE FEDERAL POLICE FORCES ATTACK DOES NOT HAVE MORE OBJECTIVE THAN TO MAINTAIN ULISES RUIZ IN POWER AND TO DESTROY THE POPULAR ORGANIZATION OF THOSE OF FROM BELOW IN OAXACA.

THE OAXACA TOWN RESISTS. NO HONEST PERSON CAN REMAIN IN IMMOVABLE & SILENT WHILE AN ENTIRE TOWN, MAINLY INDIGENOUS, IS ASSASSINATED, BEATEN AND JAILED.

WE, THE ZAPATISTAS, WILL NOT SHUT UP AND WE WILL MOBILIZE IN SUPPORT OF OUT BROTHERLY TOWN AND COMPANION OF OAXACA.

THE SIXTH COMMISSION OF THE EZLN HAS ALREADY CONSULTED ZAPATISTA COMMAND AND THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN DECIDED:

FIRST. - THROUGHOUT THE FIRST OF NOVEMBER OF 2006, THE HIGHWAYS AND ROADS WILL BE CLOSED THAT CROSS THE TERRITORIES WHERE THE EZLN MAINTAINS PRESENCE IN THE SOUTHEAST STATE OF CHIAPAS.

CONSEQUENTLY, WE EXHORT THAT EVERYONE ABSTAIN FROM TRAVELING CHIAPAS HIGHWAYS THAT DAY AND TAKE THE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS FOR IT.

SECOND. - THROUGH THEIR SIXTH COMMISSION, THE EZLN HAS INITIATED CONTACTS AND CONSULTATIONS WITH OTHER POLITICAL AND SOCIAL ORGANIZATIONS, AS WELL AS WITH GROUPS, COLLECTIVES AND PEOPLE OF THE OTHER CAMPAIGN, TO INITIATE DAYS OF SOLIDARITY WITH OAXACA AND TO SUMMON JOINT ACTIONS TO ALL OF MEXICO FROM BELOW AND MAKING NATIONAL HALT DAY ON THE 20 OF NOVEMBER OF 2006.

THIRD. - THE EZLN MAKES A CALL TO THE OTHER CAMPAIGN IN MEXICO AND NORTH OF THE RIO GRANDE, SO THAT THIS FIRST OF NOVEMBER OF 2006 IT IS MOBILIZED, WHERE IS POSSIBLE, CLOSING OF TOTAL, PARTIAL OR INTERMITTENT, REAL OR SYMBOLICALLY, THE STREETS, ROADS, HIGHWAYS, TOLL BOOTHS, STATIONS, AIRPORTS AND ANY MASS MEDIA.

FOURTH. - THE MESSAGE THAT WE THE ZAPATISTAS SENT AND WILL SEND TO THE TOWN OF OAXACA IS ONE: THEY ARE NOT ALONE. ¡ULISES RUIZ OUT OF OAXACA!

IMMEDIATE EXPULSION OF FEDERAL FORCES OCCUPYING OAXAQUEN TERRITORY!

LIBERTY AND FREEDOM TO THOSE DETAINED!

CANCELLATION OF ALL THE ORDERS OF APPREHENSION!

PUNISHMENT TO THE ASSASSINS!

JUSTICE! FREEDOM! DEMOCRACY!

From the north of Mexico.
By the Revolutionary Indigenous Clandestine Committee
- Military command of the Army Zapatista of National
Liberacio'n.
By the Sixth Commission of the EZLN.

Insurgent Subcommander Marcos. Mexico, October of 2006.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
OOkkk.... so uh...

Whats the big news? A camera man got shot? .... to bad? .. honestly this is not international news that we need to hear updates on every second?? Rioting.. hapens often.. this is nothing compared to France or anything, just so happens a nut shot a camera man who happend to be an American.

I noticed like all but 2 photos where of the camera man?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Let's not forget the recent act passed saying that a Fence will be built between the US and Mexico that covers something like 700 miles. I wonder if the administration saw this coming?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join