It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophet Cartoon Liable Case Won By Danish Paper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
A Danish court ruled that the Danish paper that printed cartoons that featured the Prophet Mohammed did not libel Muslims. Seven Danish organizations brought the liable case against the paper. The cartoons implied that Muslims were terrorists. The publisher of the cartoons hailed the ruling saying any other ruling would have been catastrophic to free press. In the violence the followed the original printing of the cartoons about fifty people were killed in the middle east and Asia.

today.re uters.co.uk
Seven Danish Muslim organisations brought the case, saying the paper had libelled them with the images, which included one depicting the Prophet with a bomb in his turban, by implying Muslims were terrorists.

Jyllands-Posten, which published the 12 drawings in September last year, hailed the ruling, saying any other outcome would have been a catastrophe for a free press.

The cartoons were reprinted elsewhere and at least 50 people were killed as angry Muslims rioted in the Middle East and Asia. Three Danish embassies were attacked and many Muslims boycotted Danish goods.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it is a good thing this ruling was made. As the news states if it had gone another way it would have been very bad for free press. Hear on the net we all post our opinions and thoughts. To loose that ability would have been very devastating to the free flow of ideas and opinions. Some say the cartoons are blasphemous, yes they are so what! I can find blasphemous every time I turn on the television and I usually find it rather amusing. Every religion get humor poked at it with cartoons. Islam is no different, aside from perhaps the riots that followed.

Related News Links:
mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp
english.aljazeera.net
www.unison.ie

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Cartoon protests turn deadly
New Anti-Muslim Cartoons Drawn By Danish Activists
Round 2. Zenlover28 vs. ConfederacyOfUnity: Cartoon Prophets

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
eh overall I would agree. If it were america I would be a bit surprised. So many people get sued over this kind of stuff its not even funny. You can't insult anybody without a lawsuit slapped in your face in america. Im very against what they did, but overall I have to agree people have the right to be offended, and have the right to not buy the paper. Not the right to restrict them from doing so.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

If it were america I would be a bit surprised. So many people get sued over this kind of stuff its not even funny. You can't insult anybody without a lawsuit slapped in your face in america. Im very against what they did, but overall I have to agree people have the right to be offended, and have the right to not buy the paper.

You are right. In the U.S. stupid lawsuites are filed we to offen.
However I can say a stupid suite can be filed but that does not mean they all go through the corts to a favorable verdict on the person who filed it.

new topics

join