It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

halloween.... trick or treat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Trick or treat..

What is the best treat you ever had on halloween?

Whats the worst trick you ever played on someone at halloween?

Trick...
One time I lit a bag of dog doo on fire and rang the door bell.
the man came out and stepped on the bag.....hehehehe....

treat..

One time I got 5 dollars in my candy bag.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I used to think halloween was fun when I was a kid but now I just think it's stupid.

The symbolism is so lame. People put up all these discrepant symbols without even questioning what they are supposed to mean or where they come from. Same as christmas... so many discrepant symbols of ambiguous origin, they mean nothing any more but people are just used to them.

What is the point of a hollowed out pumpkin with a face on it? Does it mean anything? I like pumpkin pie, but what does it symbolize besides that.

And it's fun to get dressed up, but why must we promote the obsession with horror images. What is entertaining about dead bodies? I guess I could say the same about most tv shows and movies, which I guess the current idea of halloween largely derives from.

And anyway, sugar is extremely bad for you. I wish I hadn't eaten so much of it as a child. I shudder to think how much of the stuff I used to absorb every halloween, in my ignorance.

Processed sugar is the worst thing you can put in your body. Anyone who wants to live properly should give it up immediately. Give up tv and movies while you're at it... that'll be a great start.

Halloween wouldn't be so bad if it was just an opportunity to get dressed up, have costume parties and so on. I would do away with the necessity for horror and sugar, that's all.

PS I have a recipe for pumpkin pie that has no sugar in it and it's delicious!

JR

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I don't really know the true story of halloween but, I think it goes back a few thousand years when the celts celebrated the years harvest.

October 31 was also the day they honored the dead

I don't know how the whole pumkin thing came into the picture or the trick or treat thing.....but its fun..

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
A little history of the Holiday for you all...

Halloween originated among the Celts in Ireland, Britain and France[1] as the Pagan Celtic harvest festival, Samhain. Irish, Scots, Calan Gaeaf in Welsh and other immigrants brought versions of the traditions to North America in the 19th century. Most other Western countries have embraced Halloween as a part of American pop culture in the late 20th century.

The term Halloween, and its older spelling Hallowe'en, is shortened from All-hallow-even, as it is the evening before "All Hallows' Day"[2] (also known as "All Saints' Day"). In Ireland, the name was All Hallows' Eve (often shortened to Hallow Eve), and though seldom used today, it is still a well-accepted label. The holiday was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions, until it was appropriated by Christian missionaries and given a Christian interpretation.[citation needed] Halloween is also called Pooky Night in some parts of Ireland, presumably named after the púca, a mischievous spirit. LINK

The Jack-o-Lantern stems from an old Irish myth about a man named Stingy Jack.

Stingy Jack

"Stingy Jack." According to the story, Stingy Jack, an Irish blacksmith and notorious drunk, had the great misfortune to run into the Devil in a pub. Jack invited the Devil to have a drink with him. True to his name, Stingy Jack didn't want to pay for his drink, so he convinced the Devil to turn himself into a sixpence that Jack could use to buy their drinks in exchange for Jack's soul. Once the Devil did so, Jack decided to keep the money and put it into his pocket next to a silver cross, which prevented the Devil from changing back into his original form. Jack eventually freed the Devil, under the condition that he would not bother Jack and not try to claim his soul for ten years. Link

Best Trick: never played any, honest!

Best Treat: home-made caramel apples; mmm mmmm.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
One of uncle's gave me 20 bucks, we were on way to trick or treat and had to stop off for some reason, we had to explain halloween to him...since he had no candy I got paid.

worst trick on me... I lived in an apartment building and my friend dropped an egg on my head while I was waiting to be buzzed in.

worst trick played by me.... same friend, I filled the front of her sneakers with shaving cream and when she went to put them on...well hahaha

in the late 80's early 90's we pretty much spent every Halloween having egg and shaving cream fights. but by high school, I outgrew the whole scene and started staying home and watching scary movies, while pigging out on candy my mom bought.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
On two seperate occassions when I was a kid I had all of my candy stolen from older kids. These were both my worst Halloween experiences

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This was more of a Halloween mishap, but a few years I was messing around with my neighbor and a few friends.. (scaring people looking for candy or their brothers, egging houses etc.) and one of my genius friends had the great idea or putting a noose around my neck and standing on one of the upper branches of the trees they had in their front yard, and standing on one of the ones below it so it would look like I was hanging, and when a trick or treater would go by I would "scare" them or whatever. Well me being stupid and alittle drunk I agreed to it. It worked a few times, but after while my weight started to crack the branch, and yep, you guessed it, it breaks. Apparently my friends thought it was the funniest thing they've seen that night. Their excuse for not helping me was they "thought I was kidding". Heh I guess when my face turned blue they got the hint. Luckily I didn't break anything and only got a few bruises

new topics

top topics

join