It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consider this: Can we make this place (World), worth dying for? Why or why not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I say yes, and for me nothing speaks louder, except of course action.

This is the song for our global situation, it is the song that fits my Avatars feelings, as well as mine. Please listen and post a reply or not (as many have obviously not), any kind of reply, to let me know you listened and if you like, if you feel this is relevent or irrelevent.

I know the whole of our kind can, we just want to have to, and try...
The below bolded selected lyrics especially hold meaning for me, it rings true in my heart and soul, and this remake of Genesis by Disturbed could not have been done at a better time, in our lives or this Worlds for that matter.

It speaks the truth and I feel it is the truth we all feel, not just me, so if I am correct or not, at least reply and let me know. There is a video and watching it, the visuals are perfect for the words.

There is a mess in our world and no one of us can clean it up alone, let alone fix it.
Many hands make for light work, if only we could all put our hands one in one and together clean up what needs be.

UNITED WE STAND, THE REST, IS NOT AN OPTION!

External Source
This is the world we live in
And these are the hands were given
Use them and lets start trying
To make it a place worth living in

To make it a place worth fighting for

Listen

I mustve dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But I can hear the marching feet
Theyre moving into the street.

Now did you read the news today
They say the dangers gone away
But I can see the fires still alight
There burning into the night.

Theres too many men
Too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go round
Cant you see
This is a land of confusion.

To make it a place worth living in.

Ooh superman where are you now
When everythings gone wrong somehow
The men of steel, the men of power
Are losing control by the hour.

This is the time
This is the place
So we look for the future
But theres not much love to go round
Tell me why, this is a land of confusion.

I remember long ago -
Ooh when the sun was shining
Yes and the stars were bright
All through the night
And the sound of your laughter
As I held you tight
So long ago -

I wont be coming home tonight
My generation will put it right
Were not just making promises
That we know, well never keep.

Too many men
Theres too many people
Making too many problems
Cant you see
This is a land of confusion.

Now this is the world we live in
To make it a place worth fighting for.

And these are the names were given
Stand up and lets start showing
Just where our lives are going to.

Let it be known, those who knew, tried.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by ADVISOR]

JAK

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In my eyes an apt choice for todays world Advisor.

Theres too many men
    Too many people
    Making too many problems
    And not much love to go round...

It's people holding close sentiments like this that give me hope for the future.

Jak

[edit on 22/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think that this illustrates something. That song is from the '80s. It was written for its time. Its seen as still apt today. It'd've probably been appropriate to people in the '30s too, and the 1860s, or 1378, etc etc.

I get the impression that every generation thinks that the world is falling apart and going to 'hell in a handbasket', since the begining to time. Heck, even the myths about the origins of the world amoung the ancients were about how things 'fell apart'.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I believe that even if the world is in a terrible mess it is still a beautiful world, and certainly worth dying for. Perhaps there is no greater gift than to fight for your own species survival, and we have yet to learn that.

Mankind is a screw up, of that there is no doubt. No wonder the Aliens either choose a select few or pass us by altogether. Would you want to hang out with such an undisciplined lot as ourselves?

Still, I hold out hope; I even have a little theory that may or may not shed light on the subject. It goes like this:

Mankind is going thru something every sentient species goes thru, the cosmic equivalent of the terrible two’s. We want what we want when we want it and by golly we’ll smash and burn and throw hissy fits until we get it.

I also believe like all sentient species we too shall grow out of it and stop focusing so much on just what we as individuals want, and start caring about the world around us.

In fact, I think that next step into the goofy three’s is just around the corner.

Love and light my friends,

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Oh, wupy, I love your response.

Thanks ADVISOR. I like the song. I like the remake. And I kind of can see the situation from several different angles. I can see Wupy's point of view, I can see Nygdan's and I certainly see yours. I think I relate most to yours, but I want the hope that Wupy offers.

This world is worth fighting and dying for. Simply because of the people I love if nothing else. It's a beautiful place and worth saving. And yes, we all have to work together.

I'm close to tears right now. I'm not sure why, but thanks for the thread.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
yeah nice post!

1 question tho..

would you die to save a strangers life?

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
For those who don't have nor wish to use Real Player:
link

ADVISOR,

While Phil Collins and Genesis may have "penned" and performed the original version, I feel the Disturbed remake literally Drives it home ... especially with regards to the timing and How it "fits" into that which is the Global environment we are experiencing Today.

I couldn't agree more with what JAK mentions, "an apt choice for today's world".

My sole concern, here, is that a particular individual would feel the need to take it upon themselves and act upon strong personal desires and emotions, rather than to put those same desires and emotions to work in uniting those with similar beliefs and desires to form a unified front, per se.

Personally, I don't feel we live in a day and age where "one can make the necessary difference"; however, if that One were to focus their efforts, desires and beliefs towards assisting others in forming said unified front ... change can take place. Otherwise, and unfortunately, I can only foresee the efforts of one Very determined individual going by the wayside while the "status-quo" carries on without a hitch ... even with the Best of intentions and efforts.

Just sayin'

As one, we are but one. As Many we are a voice to be reckoned with.
Where stand yea?

$.02

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You are as always, more than welcome. Don't cry, it is contagious....

*hugs*

Creeping Jesus, please see # 4 on my list below.
With out, and no hint of hesitation would I die for any stranger. That choice I made when I enlisted in the US Army in 1997, I would die for any one, if it saved their life and made this world a better place. The Army taught me this, and they are known as "values";

Loyalty: Bear true faith and allegiance to the U.S. Constitution, the Army, your unit and other soldiers.

Duty: Fulfill your obligations

Respect: Treat people the way they deserve to be treated.

Selfless Service: Put the welfare of the nation, the Army, and your subordinates
before your own.

Honor: Live up to, all the Army Values.

Integrity: Do what is right, legally and morally.

Personal Courage: Face fear, danger, or adversity (Physical and Moral).

The above when used together make LDRSHIP=Leadership.

Above is the code of conduct I hold myself up to, along with my families long and historic set of traditonal codes.

I am more than willing to give every thing I have, to make right, no matter what situation I am in, I will never do anything for pleasure, profit, or personal safety, which will disgrace my Uniform, my Unit, or my County....

Thank you ,all of you, for the replies. It is very much appreicated, as is your time.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The world is not falling apart. On the whole the world is in good shape.

There are some localized problems, and a few global ones, but they are manageable and mitigable. Even in the worst case scenario, none of them are apocalyptic. Some may even be a blessing in disguise.

I prefer to be optimistic about the future. I'll leave the whiny pessimism for others.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Too many men
Theres too many people
Making too many problems
Cant you see
This is a land of confusion

ADVISOR/

I believe this world will always be a 'land of confusion', it will probably never really sort itself out, \
till the time is right.
The too many problems, come from those that are suppose to be in position to help sort them out.
The little people that just earn a living are just that, 'little people' and although we may all unite and stand together, it will never be that 'better place' we all want .
Why?
Because the power comes from those that are in high places, and they set the laws in this World, on this earth.
Do you think that they are actually interested in changing anything?
You see,
people can only do so much,
even if we try to make a stand and become united,
to change this world into a better life for all ,
it will never work.
If those in power have a greater say then you and I,
then you can forget about this world being a ''world worth fighting for''!
I do believe though, that 'one day',we all shall be able to understand why this world ,and the people in it,are the way they are,
till then,
we can learn from past mistakes and look at our own failures and fix those, before we can actually say,
that we are able to fix this world and it's problems.

helen

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I believe there are many things that I would gladly die for.

Much like ADVISOR, I would not have enlisted in 1980 and remained in one uniform or the other ever sense if I did not believe that.

I also think that far too much time and attention is paid to the one natural function that we are all guaranteed to perform. To die is a certainty, guaranteed to us from the moment of our birth.

So, I spend more time pondering what would I "live for."

My answer always comes back the same.

HONOR

Semper

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
what would I "live for."

Thank you, great point and that is what life should be about.
It is not so much as what we are willing to give up, more so than it is what we have that makes it worth it.

For me it is more so duty, than honor. Perhaps it is because, I see duty as the road which leads to honor, some thing which in my opinion can only be aspired to.

As a Marine would have it though, HONOR is earned (the hardest way), the Eagle Globe and Anchor is the symbol of such, from my understanding. I completely agree with them (Marines), and could not see it any differently myself.

That is best left for another thread, and I appreciate your comment here and hope to find others replies added as well. Obviously a few people read this, and given that I guess not much else can be expected, business as usual. I some times wonder if all the views are generated by web crawlers more thanit is by actual members or guests not signed in and such.

The horrid thought of GOOGLE recording all my threads makes me want to...well let's just say I'm not fond of google.

Ok, now that I am off topic again, it might be time to stop while ahead of myself. See I don't just do this in others threads, I derail my own also!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

For me it is more so duty, than honor. Perhaps it is because, I see duty as the road which leads to honor, some thing which in my opinion can only be aspired to.

OUTSTANDING ADVISOR!!!!

No WATS for you but here is a
from an old Marine....

Semper

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
So, I spend more time pondering what would I "live for."

Hear, hear!

Dying is easy. Living, now this takes guts.

You have voted semperfortis for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Thanks Yanchek,

And your right... Living is most times much harder than the relatively easy act of dieing...

Semper

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This may be long over due.

But, thank you.

new topics

top topics

join