It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: N. Korean leader regrets test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korean leader Kim Jong Il expressed regret about his country's nuclear test to a Chinese delegation and said Pyongyang would return to international nuclear talks if Washington backs off a campaign to financially isolate the country, a South Korean newspaper reported Friday

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

source

I think the Chinese delegation had strong words for "little kimmy" behind closed doors.

I think his telling China he was going on with 3 more tests forced China to take more direct action-It's about Time!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Do folks think he really "blinked" or maybe just "winked"? I stiill see no reason to trust this fellow... I'm not entirely sure he is sane, he does have his own cult of personality and religion... things got real quiet at Jonestown just before they drank the kool-aid...

Victor K.

43'

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
He is probibly saying he "regrets" testing the weapon in north korea and not killing people in the process. I think he wants to use the nuclear talks as a diversion to actually work on his nuclear program secretly.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yes...
I'm glad to hear the good news... but it's not over yet. Continue focusing positively and we will change the entire world. Have a great day to all of you.

♥~Infinite Love and Eternal Peace~♥
@::Bloom::@

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I can feel the love!!!

So, does this mean there wont be further testing? Is little Kim sorry?

This is too good to be true.! ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

I dont know if i believe him.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If, as I think happened, China sat him down and explained play nice or "YOU WILL DISDAPEAR".

China is very slow to move and take action, but they also don't make threats-they warn of action to come.

China does not want SK/Japan and Tiawan to all get nuclear weapons, which is exactly what weill happen if "little kimmy" continued on his prresent course.

I don't expect any further nuke tests, at least not for a while.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Lets keep in mind that this is from a South Korean newspaper, citing anonymous sources.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
If, as I think happened, China sat him down and explained play nice or "YOU WILL DISDAPEAR".

China is very slow to move and take action, but they also don't make threats-they warn of action to come.

China does not want SK/Japan and Tiawan to all get nuclear weapons, which is exactly what weill happen if "little kimmy" continued on his prresent course.

I don't expect any further nuke tests, at least not for a while.

I do not think China is slow to action, as you say. Rather their actions are well thought out and they try to be more subtle than, for example, the US.

I would be willing guess that China did have a serious heart-to-heart with old kimmy. As I have said before, as have others, the last thing China wants is an Asian Arms race. And good old kimmy was about to start one.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Whichever the case may be you cant put the genie back in the bottle once hes been let out.Chinas probly more worried of nk refugees if major ports are closed due to sanctions.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I think the Chinese delegation had strong words for "little kimmy" behind closed doors.

I think this is probably pretty accurate. North Korea and Cuba are so out of touch with the rest of the world, they make China seem like Hong Kong...wait a second, I mean, well you get the picture.

China does move slowly and over the last two to three decades they have been moving ever so slowly toward a free market economy and capitalists everywhere are salivating over the huge market that China represents.

The last thing China needs is a narcissistic pedophile with terminally bad hair making life difficult on the Korean peninsula.

Of course, the Chinese wouldn't be the Chinese if they didn't play the inscrutable routine to the hilt and play both ends against the middle in the diplomacy game.

I doubt that we've heard the last word regarding NK nukes, but maybe Li'l Kim will be more cordial in the future.

[edit on 2006/10/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I can feel the love!!!

So did China, the love between Japan and US that is, how they hate closer military and diplomatic ties along with a more assertive Japanese military. That's why Kim got smacked down, you can't ruin big brother's plan to expand in the PACRIM area by increasing US influence, that's a big no no.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
"Report: N. Korea 'sorry' for nuke test"

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korean leader Kim Jong Il said Pyongyang didn't plan to carry out any more nuclear tests and expressed regret about the country's first-ever atomic detonation last week, a South Korean news agency reported Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The last thing China needs is a narcissistic pedophile with terminally bad hair

well that rules out half the world's leaders really

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I guess it's really a show put up to tell the world that China still has a leash over North Korea, and also to get all those foreign aids required to keep millions of North Koreans alive. Anyway NK has accomplished what she intended to - DPRK is now formally a nuclear power.

What a great role model to our peace-loving Iran who is definitely thinking of means other than violence to annihilate Israel.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think all this talk from Lil Kim,is all show.
I think he is doing what China has asked him to do.His comments about "sorry" and "no more tests" will defuse the situation for a while.In the end all this will do is buy North Korea time,to do what they want.I think North Korea will pop back up into the mainstream around the time Iran bacomes the focus of the world again.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I agree, this mostly for show. I really doubt Beijing really has that much control over the whims of Lil' Kim, the guy just seems to be a nutcase, and there is no confirmation of this from state-run DPRK media as far as I know.

I bet if he doesn't get some concessions from the U.S. soon, they'll be more tests.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think China holds great sway over Kim. Maybe not completely, but considerably, I think. I don't think that China would be above assassinating the little twit, if he became to much to handle.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well, thanks to China we can sleep a little better tonight.

Thank goodness for whomever knocked some sense into him!

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think people here are forgetting that the DPRK was much more closely tied the U.S.S.R. and is a Stalinist regime, not a Maoist regime tied to China. Yes, they do rely on China nowadays, but I'm not even sure if he's sane and he's got all his people practically worshiping him in a personality cult.

I just don't think it's that clear how much power China really has over that regime.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I can guarantee you that the one thing Kim fears as much as assassination is that China would turn off the oil spigots to NK. China supplies 90% of the oil to NK, and at this moment, cutting off oil supplies is not part of the sanctions plan. But nothing says the Chinese can't impose their own sanctions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join