It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military Airwing Facilities Protecting U.S.-Canadian Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
U.S. interceptor jets, and blackhawk helicopters have begun to patrol Montana airspace along the U.S.-Canadian border, and unmanned drones could be deployed as early as next year. The third, out of five air wing facilities which will be protecting the U.S.-Canadian border opened on Monday the Customs and Border Protection air facility at Great Falls International Airport, Montana.

www.canada.com
On Monday, the U.S Department of Homeland Security officially opened its Customs and Border Protection air facility in Great Falls, Mont. - the third of five air wings to be set up along the Canada-U.S. border.

Equipped with two Blackhawk helicopters, two Citation jet interceptors and one Pilatus surveillance plane, the detachment is responsible for 800 kilometres of land border with Canada. Similar facilities are up and running in Bellingham, Wash., and Plattsburg, N.Y. Two more are planned, in Detroit and Grand Forks, N.D.

"You have to have some visibility of physical support, and I think our enemies have to understand that, too,'' said Senator Conrad Burns, one of Montana's two Republican senators. "We have real eyes, real ears, in our effort to protect the integrity of our border.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting, I didn't hear anything about the first two facilities being opened. Apparently everyone is tightening their borders and I wonder if the reasons are really terrorism or something else. The Russian and Chinese government have made similar moves and they claim is to fight terrorism, but then again the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, which was originally created by China and Russia, have accepted Iran as one of it's members, and they claim all this is "to fight against terrorism"?....

Something is definitely happening.

I also think this could have something to do with the incursions of Russian bombers into Canadian and American airspace undetected, which has happened a few times, at least one of those times the Russian bombers were undetected and Russian officials were quick to brag about it. Several times have these events happened, the last one was on September 30 of this year, that we know of.

Russian Bombers Penetrate N. American Buffer Zone, Intercepted by U.S., Canadian Jet Fighters
Created: 30.09.2006 13:32 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 14:53 MSK

A new U.S. push for greater Russian military openness collided with Cold War habits last week as Russian long-range bombers flew within 15 miles of U.S. airspace off Alaska, Denver Post website reported.

Fully-armed U.S. fighter jets responded, intercepting the two bombers.

The Russian Tu-95 bombers on a training exercise Thursday penetrated a North American buffer zone, said a statement Friday from Maj. Gen. Brett Cairns, operations chief for Colorado Springs-based North American Aerospace Defense Command.

But the bombers stayed within international airspace.

The U.S. response “was appropriate,” said Adm. Timothy Keating, commander of NORAD and U.S. Northern Command.

“We have a near-sacred responsibility to protect and defend the United States and Canada against any and all threats. We will not waver in this responsibility,” Keating said.

www.mosnews.com...

Russian bombers flew undetected across Arctic - AF commander
13:40 | 22/ 04/ 2006

MOSCOW, April 22 (RIA Novosti) - Russian military planes flew undetected through the U.S. zone of the Arctic Ocean to Canada during recent military exercises, a senior Air Force commander said Saturday.

The commander of the country's long-range strategic bombers, Lieutenant General Igor Khvorov, said the U.S. Air Force is now investigating why its military was unable to detect the Russian bombers.

"They were unable to detect the planes either with radars or visually," he said.

Khorov said that during the military exercises in April, Tu-160 Blackjack bombers and Tu-95 Bears had successfully carried out four missile launches. Bombing exercises were held using Tu-22 Blinders.

en.rian.ru...

Related News Links:
www.cbp.gov
www.atimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran to Join Other Nations in Alliance Against The West.
New Warnings of Mines on Russian Side on Border with Norway.
www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Iran to Join Other Nations in Alliance Against The West.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I thought just the last time Russian planes went into Canadian/US air space, NORDAD sent planes out?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It could bde everyone is tightening their borders to protect against espionage? Could be everybody is trying harder to keep spies out now.

Or maybe, the ET's are on their way ....

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It seems to me from this story that the U.S. is starting to militarize the U.S.-Canada border. It's too bad, but maybe necessary since Canada continues to have very liberal immigration laws.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
With iran and nk now nuclear maybe they are looking for smuggled in plutonium(terrorists).As for the russians reverting back to cold war tactics i dont get.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It is one of those paraox's of failure. The more fearful the US gets, the more they show their strength, and the more we collectively laugh at them. Seriously when you stop and think about it, the average American has more to fear from their fellow American's than anyother threat - still, how many new cops are their on the streets? Every how many minutes is it that someone gets mugged, raped or murdered in the States?

But this isn't about us, it is about the terrorists? Any idea how many terrorists slipped into the US via the western border?... In round numbers?... I'm guessing it is a very round number.

It is rather sad to see the US self destruct like this.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
How exactly is securing the borders the same as "self destruction"?...

You might want to laugh at the U.S., but at least we did not get the problems that most of Europe has been getting from riots done by immigrants, mostly Muslims, and other crimes they commit.....

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
i dont know where to go , but has anyone else tried to go somewhere on a website or a person, i witness to see if they are patroling the canadian border or just flying over the newly fixed oil pipe line for an attack on the oil line. we are going to war shortly and all they can come up with is this. this stupid election. i caint wait till it is over, then we will see the crap start to happen. i say about 3 months. oil prices will start to skyrocket, because of this war with iran, north korea and whoever else joins in against us. we just dont sent east and west coast battle fleets to the gulf and the mediteranean and protect our borders in canadian space with the help of the canadians to watch the oil pipeline. come on people it is stareing us in the face. it is not on tv yet, cause our gov't is not letting the news cruise spill it yet until we get there and start bombing. we dont want to alert iran of this, come on, or anyone else. if you hate someone and you want to hit them, do you say im going to punch you in the face. you dont alarm the enemy, so they know how to retaliate.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by littlebird]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
How exactly is securing the borders the same as "self destruction"?...

You might want to laugh at the U.S., but at least we did not get the problems that most of Europe has been getting from riots done by immigrants, mostly Muslims, and other crimes they commit.....

Muaddib, I shouldn't have said laughing. It is not nice to see, but sometimes laughing is the only thing that keeps you from crying.

The problem is Muaddib, you are not securing anything. Having patrols on the Canadian-US border is counter productive and simply not a very conservative thing to do. To waste the kinds of resources you are expending to secure, what is for all intensive purposes unsecurable(It is ust too damn big and long). But that isn't the point of the jets, or drones. It is to give something, anything, to justify the expense billed to you - the average American tax payer. The average tax payer has so incredibly little to fear from someone slipping into the States from the Canadian border, but so much to fear from the depleated education system and lack of protection of property rights. So you see, it isn't that securing your borders is "self destruction", but it is an example of why that self destruction is taking place.

Also, your conciet over not having the problems of another nation is merely short sighted. I could very easily add "yet" to that staement. However, I think you will still have more to fear from your own government than any rampaging Muslim. Trust me in this, I live in Toronto and we have a huge Muslim population, I can go 5 minutes down the road and you would be hard pressed to see anyone not wearing traditional Islamic garb. They are nothing to worry about, and in my experience - they are generally exceptionally polite and kind. I know in England they are having a huge problem with them(Or so we are lead to beleive) but I simply do not see any kind of that action here. Maybe Toronto is an exception? Or maybe the government is engaging in fear mongering to keep the public too frieghtend to see that they are stealing all your cash and leaving the big I.O.U for your kids, grandkids, etc..

I can't remember who said it, but it was something to the effect of "You will never lose your freedoms to an invading army marching over the hill. You will lose your freedoms one small step at a time by the stroke of governments pen"

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
someone help me out here, i cannot find any information, i need an i witness , this is the thing to prove the usa is up to something here and something is going on we need a i witness, help me people.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
It could bde everyone is tightening their borders to protect against espionage? Could be everybody is trying harder to keep spies out now.

Or maybe, the ET's are on their way ....

You can't protect against spionage this way. This is more of a military move, and the U.S. is not the only one doing it.

These are events that are happening, or have happened recently, it is not a "claim".

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib This is more of a military move, and the U.S. is not the only one doing it.

These are events that are happening, or have happened recently, it is not a "claim".

Who are their targets then? Canadians? American's? Cattle? If it is a military move, then whom are they moving on?

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Waiting2awake

Who are their targets then? Canadians? American's? Cattle? If it is a military move, then whom are they moving on?

It is not a "move on anybody", but protection from "anybody moving in". I am not sure if the airwing facilities will have some other aircraft more capable of dealing with, for example Russian bombers, which have crossed our airspace, which btw i find interesting that few around here find anything wrong with that but if the U.S. does it....oh boy...people really jump the gun if it is the U.S. doing something like this.

Anyways, the aircraft that are said to be in the airwing facilities cannot deal with Russian bombers, so I wonder if maybe there are other aircraft in these facilities, which are not being reported for obvious reasons, but apparently for all intent and purpose, it does appear that the facilities are there for surveillance of groups of people trying to illegally enter the U.S. throught the Canadian border.

[edit on 21-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I see your point about the Russian thing. However, isn't that a bit differnt? I don't know. Somehow Russia doing that seems to be sort of normal. I wasn't even aware they crossed any line, although I knew they were going to be flying close to it.

With the US, it seems different though. Especially to say they are looking for illegals/terrorists. At that point in the border doesn't make any sense. It is easier, and more cover doing it in Ontario between the indian reserves, ala ciggerettes. Neither Canada or the US would have rights and both are close to large ports.

However, the oilsands are right there. I wonder.....

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Canada is a prime haven for terrorists, and a favored entry point into North America because of their very lax immigration policies. This, coupled with a lack of Canadian political will to change things, means that the Canadian border needs to be guarded more closely than before.

Waiting for the horse to get out of the barn before closing the door could prove to be a very costly mistake. I support the measures taken by the US to tighten the security in that region.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Canada is a prime haven for terrorists, and a favored entry point into North America because of their very lax immigration policies. This, coupled with a lack of Canadian political will to change things, means that the Canadian border needs to be guarded more closely than before.

Waiting for the horse to get out of the barn before closing the door could prove to be a very costly mistake. I support the measures taken by the US to tighten the security in that region.

If it was as you say then there should be many examples right? But there doesn't seem to be many examples. Which leads me to beleive that either this is just for show(See we are trying to protect you from evil brown men), or they are doing it for an un-named reason. I say this because it is unsensical to patrol there.

Even assuming your initial points are true(ignoring history), the simple fact is it is easier, and more convient, with less chance of being caught further east. There is no reason for people who would fit in normalling in Toronto or MOntreal to go out west where they would stick out like a sore thumb. There is no reason for them to try and cross out there where any movement is unusal, when they could slip right by with the other 1000's of people crossing the boarder, or just go through the indian reserves and bypass the border completely.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There are few examples because the border has been unprotected. Trying to slip across further east makes little sense, since that is where the border patrols hang out in greater numbers.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, I suppose you can say that the reasons we don't have examples is because there isn't anyone there to look for these terrorists. But even saying that is the case(Which sounds suspeciously like "the absense of evidence, isn't evidence of absense"), that is ignoring the simple numbers.

In toronto and Montreal any muslim would fit in. In Alb., Man., or Sask. they would stick out like a sore thumb. They would be drawing attention to themself's needlessly. It is easier and more undercover and even with the tighter border security(Which can easily be eliminated by going through Indian reserves) they stand a better chance there, then anywhere else(Exception being BC, but that is more an Asian thing there).

In either case though, I just find it a less than efficient use of resources.

For the record though, I tend to agree with you over our imigration policy. Pretty sad.
\

top topics

join