It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Warnings of Mines on Russian Side on Border with Norway.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
According to the Norway newspaper Aftenpolten, new warnings have appeared on the Russian side of the border with Norway which say there are mines on the Russian side. Russian officials claim that these signs are there because there are unexploded mines from the 1940s. The signs appeared after the new "special border zone". Russian officials stated such borders were expanded to 25 Kilometers to fight terrorism, border crimes and illegal immigration.

www.aftenposten.no
Norway's border with Russia at the far northern tip of the country has been relatively peaceful, but suddenly some mysterious signs have appeared on the Russian side, warning that the area contains land mines.

"We don't understand this," Åse Dons Lindrupsen of the local border commission in Kirkenes told newspaper Aftenposten. The mines, she said, "have never been mentioned in any of the roughly 60 meetings we have every year with the Russian border patrol."

Nor was there any mention of mines when an expansion of the border zone was taken up with the border patrol chief Aleksandr Belokon on August 30, Lindtupsen said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is very strange, the signs were never there before, but they appeared after the new "special border zone".

Anyone from either Norway or Russia knows anything about this?

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Here's another source:

MosNews: Russia Scares Norway with WW II Mines

Seems like they don't want anyone to cross that border right now. My eyes are on Georgia...

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Is this really much of a danger? The border between Norway and Russia is quite short, compared to that with Finland.

Are there similar mine fields along the Russia-Finland border?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Are there similar mine fields along the Russia-Finland border?

I don't know, but there appears to be some rumours of rotating of "top-end equipment from North-West garrisons to somewhere and replacing them with older worn out gear". If this turns out to be the case, it might explain the minefield somehow...

Originally posted by northwolf in this post

There have been reports of Russian civilians fleeing from Georgia.
Allso there have been rumors (no solid facts or internet links) that for about a month Russia has been rotating top-end equipment from North-West garrisons to somewhere and replacing them with older worn out gear...
This might be bull# or real, i heard it from people who regulary visit russian bases around st.petersburg

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It would appear to me that the right thing to do here is have some experts find and remove a few of the mines to determine if they are in fact mines built post 1944.

That way they could essentially trap them in a lie and clearly show they are new mines put there for other purposes, if that is in fact the case as suspected.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
It would appear to me that the right thing to do here is have some experts find and remove a few of the mines to determine if they are in fact mines built post 1944.

That way they could essentially trap them in a lie and clearly show they are new mines put there for other purposes, if that is in fact the case as suspected.

But then those experts would have to cross over to the Russian side, and i doubt the Russians will view this kindly. The government of Norway "might ask for permission" to do this, but i doubt they will provoke the Russians by crossing the border to find out whether or not these mines are post 1944.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Muaddib, I was not implying they do it in a sneaky manner at all. I have been under the impression that either NATO or the UN had special teams to remove mines laid during WWII and they were responsible by treaty to help in matters like this. Someone can correct me if I am wrong about that, to be honest I am basing what I stated on memory and hearsay rather then full research.

Using diplomatic means is the best way and if they refused to allow for inspections even that too would be a pretty good hint that something was rotten in Denmark.

new topics

top topics

join