It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea's Nuke Test-Evidence Of Radiation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The White House is now saying that it has detected preliminary traces of radiation over North Korea's nuclear testing site. This is not completely validated, but at this time all evidence points towards nuclear detonation.

CNN
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States has evidence of radioactivity from a site where North Korea was suspected of conducting a nuclear weapons test, a U.S. official said Friday.

The official said the evidence is preliminary, but if it is confirmed, the United States will be in a position to confirm North Korea's claim on Monday that it successfully set off a nuclear blast for the first time.

The report appeared to contradict a CNN report earlier Friday from two U.S. government officials with access to classified information that an initial air sampling over North Korea showed no indication of radioactive debris.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is true, it turns a lot of fakery theories right around, doesn't it? It also lends some credence to their threats regarding using a hydrogen bomb.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of spin gets put on this one.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ALERT: North Korean A-Bomb May be a Fake
WOW! Alert- Article - Reports indicate north korea may test hydrogen bomb.
Report: North Korea conducts nuke test

[edit on 13-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm no nuclear physicist, but wouldn't it be possible to detonate a large conventional charge, claim it was very well contained so there is not too much leaked radiation, and then just 'release' some radiation they got from their nuclear reactors?

I'm not sure what sort of radiation is left over from a nuclear blast, and if that sort can be replicated, but it's worth the thought, right?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
North Korea doesn't need to fake a nuclear explosion. Indeed, what would be the point? It would ultimately be discovered, and if it wasn't, it might lead to their being attacked in a nuke war without any ability to fight back.

They didn't fake the test, the set off a small nuclear device. As others have noted, this means that they are in effect, already able to miniaturize their nukes, a step to putting them on war heads.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I guess it's time to stop theorising about deception, and accept the fact that we have a new nuclear capable nation in our midst.

I wonder what measures will now be taken.

I wonder what impact the fact that the next UN secretary general will be South Korean Ban Ki-moon will have on these measures.

[edit on 13/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
They tested a nuclear device, and not a nuclear weapon. There's a difference. I don't believe they're able to miniaturize nukes. They may not even be able to make a nuclear weapon (warhead) yet. But I assume they can, and maybe soon.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
well this is certianly a change since I posted my thread this afternoon. I wonder....don't ya think, considering their track record of honesty....perhaps the Bush administration is just saying this to boister their hystronics? Just a thought.

BTW a hydrogen bomb is far more complex than a basic atomic bomb, in fact it takes an atomic bomb as a detonator so I believe their claims about having a hydrogen bomb just about as much as I believ that we are turning the corner in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I was watching CNN tonight, and when referring to this story they highly stressed the following in bold...

The United States has evidence of radioactivity from a site where North Korea was suspected of conducting a nuclear weapons test, a U.S. official said Friday.

The official said the evidence is preliminary, but if it is confirmed, the United States will be in a position to confirm North Korea's claim on Monday that it successfully set off a nuclear blast for the first time.

They specifically said it was not proof of a nuclear detonation. So I think we should wait and see. I think if it were a real nuclear event, it would not have taken this long to just find evidence.

Meanwhile some are questioning whether the vote tomorrow on sanctions would be justified without this confirmation. It should be interesting to see what happens.

[edit on 10/13/2006 by Hal9000]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
And there is more:

Link

WASHINGTON - An air sampling taken after North Korea's claimed nuclear test detected radioactive debris consistent with an atomic explosion, Bush administration and congressional officials said Friday night. They said no final determination had been made about the nature of last weekend's mystery-shrouded blast.

One U.S. government official said intelligence officials assigned an 80 percent probability that the North Korean explosion was a nuclear detonation, based on the air sample collected Wednesday. The official said it appeared highly unlikely that the sample of radioactive material was produced by any other source, including a nuclear power reactor.

While an 80% probability is not a 100% confirmation, it is very close.

[edit on 14-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
C'mon guys regardless of the title, the implications are enormous. It makes a big difference if a nuclear detonation actually took place, so let's wait and see. Egos do not work as well as Kevlar.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Helmutt, I am not all that familiar with this stuff, but, what if, the NKs didn't make a dud, but infact went straight from a big bulky test device, to a compact, partially miniaturized, test device?

Also, if they have a device, then they have a weapon. They can build it on the DMZ and set it off to wipe out a division of the Army, or something along those lines. Or put it on a ship and sail to japan, etc. This is a very dangerous time, we need to completely cut off all aid to them or else we will find ourselves intimidated into forever caving to their demands.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It may have been the first stage of a two stage device, as well. You only really need to know if the first one is gonna go off.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Also, I'd say the real question is 'now that the DPRK has nukes, what are they gonna do with 'em?' Honestly, I'd be willing to bet the answer is 'sit on them like every other nuclear-capable nation, because no one wants to be scourged from the surface of the Earth in a bath of white hot radioactive death.'

Or maybe Kim Jong Il will go bat# crazy and nuke somebody. Boy, THAT would be interesting. Worst case scenario, South Korea starts giving NK the cold shoulder over this whole thing, and basically gives them the finger about reunification. Kimmy goes crazy and presses the button.

Now the question becomes 'how do we interceed on behalf of nations we are commited to defending in southeast asia?' Do we immediatly respond with a limited nuclear bombardment? Bad idea. But if we deploy conventional forces (ie - carriers and troop transports) they could easily fall victim to the tactical deployment of a Korean nuclear weapon.

Looks like we may be staring another arms race dead in the face.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
What about suitcase nukes? Could Kim have bought himself a suitcase nuke on the black market and set it off to pretend to "have nukes"?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Or maybe he bought more than one and wanted to see if they worked? According to late General Alexander Lebed, some 100 Russian suitcase nukes are unaccounted for. NK might have bought them from Tiraspol.

Possibly Related Thread:
Tiraspol - Moldova - Mafia in Uniform

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
let's see if that Aircraft Carrier & Task Force which was instructed to deploy
to the Persian Gulf(in late Oct) is suddenly re-routed to the South China Sea

that would be escalation...
then i'd start getting more concerned

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
What about suitcase nukes? Could Kim have bought himself a suitcase nuke on the black market and set it off to pretend to "have nukes"?

That's a pretty interesting point! Didn't think of it.

Anyway, I don't care if he blew up a nuke or a balloon, the man is unhinged, and sly which is a bad combo for the rest of the world. I think we should put sanctions in place, re-extend the invitation to 6 party talks, and then ignore him. Kim will continue his tantrum and the more he does it the more the rest of the world will want to put him in his place. I can see it now, the security council throwing their hands up and looking at each other like "who wants to go first?" In any event I would prefer if it wasn't the USA.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I agree with everything you said except the "ignore" part. I think we should impose more sanctions and should not respond with a military strike. We would again look like the bad guys and I think this is what NK wants. They will not nuke Seoul or any part of SK, because I think it is their intention to invade SK and you wouldn't want to set one off in your backyard. I am more concerned about Japan. If they start a war with Japan, we will have to help out, and things could get ugly.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
How will the USA deal with North Korea?

U.S. seeks luxury ban 'to put Kim Jong Il on a diet'

While details of the draft resolution were incomplete, diplomats said it could prevent materials for weapons programs and luxury goods from being sold to North Korea.

Referring to leader Kim Jong Il's long, documented record of leaving large parts of his population in famine, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton said Friday, "The North Korean population's been losing average height and weight over the years, and maybe this will be a little diet for Kim Jong Il."

Link

So this is how we deal with North Korea's nuclear threats?

[edit on 14-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Very Scary, I'm really worried about the backbone of our leaders, or lack thereof. Problems left alone will soon grow out of control.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is getting worse and worse!!!! I just hope this not true but it 80% true from what I read. Now if true sanctions would make thing worse! But if we try to attack them that be just as bad! We need to talk and see what he want then take out when he least expected. Like some Metal Gear Solid stuff
MAN it seem so much like a game or movie! Man this is bad!!!!

I hope Bush doesn't act like a fool!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join