It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'wobble' that wipes out life on Earth every 2.5 million years...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Study Links Extinction Cycles to Changes in Earth’s Orbit and Tilt

I guess this will be blamed on the Bush Administration also........

Mod edit: shortened link

[edit on 2006/10/12 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Don't see why. This has been an accepted theory for ages. I remember talking about this back in the late 1970s.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
sorry, i lost the post on a "404 error...cannot find server"

[edit on 12-10-2006 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Maybe if everyone in china jumped at the same time,they could correct the wobble and save us all!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i don't know why this would be blamed on the bush administration.

overall....interesting, but so far as the article states it only applies to small mammals. and also it provides no links to the actual study they speak about. so where's their corroborating evidence? i have to say i've never heard of this.
very interesting theory though.

optimus

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

I think that was a sly political joke. Wasn't it?

Anyhoo, it's just another of the thousand ways were all going to die, comets, aliens, wobbles, bloody ice, heck, I'm gonna start taking bets!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Even I wouldnt blame that on the Bush administration

He's to blame for everything else, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

I think you will find it was a tongue in cheek remark! The author was joking that everything these days is Bush's fault!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
well other than the "sly political joke" why is this in pts??
it has nothing to do with politics, mainly biological evolutionary theory.
i'm sorry but mayhap this should be moved to bts or ats?

optimus

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The wobble is not a new theory, it has lots of corroborating evidence, its basic newtonian 'mass distance, force, etc' types of physics.

The wobbles in the different aspects, like tilt of the axis, eccentricity of the earth's orbit around the sun, etc, they all affect the amount of energy hitting the earth from the sun (insolation). When there is more insolation, there is a warmer climate, when less, we tend to have colder climates.

They are saying that they've been able to track the extinction and rise of certain types of mice with those periodic astronomical changes. THe mice are actually dying and changing because of the changes in climate.

The existence of these wobbles and their effect on climate isn't news, but this new study correlating it to the changes in mice is a new study.

And, for anyone that is wondering, this current period of global warming isn't explainable by changes in insolation.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if "the wobble" thing might be true. But how would Bush or any goverment be directly connected to it, doesn't belong in this fourm. There's no way in the world to stop the tilt. Even if we did, we would possible hurt the whole species or ones we depend on.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Isn't the other name for this "POLAR SHIFT" or something.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by trIckz_R_fO_kIdz

I forget the exact name for it but it is essentially a flip in the polarity of the earth...but as far as I have ever read the title of this thread is a serious misnomer...wipes out ALL life on earth? Hardly. Some, possibly depending on how weak the Van Allen Belt gets (ya know the screen of ions that protect the earth from the harshest of the sun's radiation) prior to the flip....and btw the ion belt is going through a period of increasing weakness now (has nothing to do with the ozone holes, its too far out) NOVA did a special on this subject a year or so ago. Most interesting.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

I am going to skip over the 2012 stuff and the disinfo Zeta talk people pages, and get straight to the facts lol.

science.nasa.gov...

Even mars seems to suffer from polar shift www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nothing new, but it's true. It's part of having a living planet. Every 2.5 million years or whatever the tilt, a shift and some species die. Just nature I guess.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by usaforever
Nothing new, but it's true. It's part of having a living planet. Every 2.5 million years or whatever the tilt, a shift and some species die. Just nature I guess.

The biggest problem we have today, is people think everything stays the same. Like there is one law that will end all laws and never be replaced. Also that there will be one theory that will end all theorys. Although, when you tell it to someone directly they will agree on that everything changes over time, but when it comes to the cold hard facts being discused about things, they just accept the oldest known accepted theory that they learned in school, and ignore all the newer and lessor known possible ones. But anyone with an idea of how nature works, knows that it never stays the same, the planet is constently changing. It will get hotter, it will get colder, because its nature and its unknown law. Same goes with the law of gravity, we have only been around for a very very short period of time, how do we know that might always be the same?

Very complex stuff, if you start to think about it.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yep, it is. But I know that, that's why I was being general. I just like to be general and blunt about most subjects, and then go into the details. That's just how like to think about things.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by usaforever
I wouldn't be surprised if "the wobble" thing might be true.

It is true. Its an astronomical feature of the earth.

There's no way in the world to stop the tilt.

I bet superman could do it.

Every 2.5 million years or whatever the tilt, a shift and some species die. Just nature I guess.

its more of a slow wobble. Think of a toy spinning top as the earth. It spins around its center, which is the earth's rotation. It also wobbles around, the top of it leans in one direction, then slowly leans in the other, back and forth, etc etc. That 'wobble' is the tilt of the earth's axis.
Then, if you think of the movement of the top itself, say across your floor or table, that movement is like the earth's orbit. The earth revolves around the sun, in a path that is almost like a circle. This path changes over time, some times it is more perfectly ciruclar, other times it is more 'squished' or elliptical.

All of these changes are caused in large part by the gravitational forces of the other planets and astronomical bodies upon the the earth as they are swirl around the solar system. The tilt and ellipticity of the earth's orbit both change according to a repeating pattern, hence the 'every 2.5 million years, this happens' statements.

These factors have been known since extremely ancient times, they are what causes the 'precession' of the constellations and equinoxes, etc.

Here is a good explanation of these processes:
www.ldeo.columbia.edu...
Some illustrations from that page that sum it up in basic form:

trIckz_R_fO_kIdz

When people on this board say polar shift, they are usually thinking of this old idea that the crust of the earth dettaches from the mantle, and then spins around, so that the land at the current north pole slips to the south pole, and vice versa.

An actual polar shift is where the magnetic field of the earth switches, without any shifts in land mass.

The wobble, precession, has nothing to do with this.

Even mars seems to suffer from polar shift

Magnetic polar shift is harmless. Its happened numerous times throught the history of the planet and has even occured while humans were around.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
NOVA on PBS is rebroadcasting their show on this called "Magnetic Storm" this coming Tuesday at 8pm.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
the myan calender, the end of times the beginning of times. this is the wobble people. it destroys most life on earth and then the earth slowly grows back to life and the cycle starts over again. id like to see this magnetic storm, i beleive in this. i also beleive in this mayan calender thing. after all, its older than anything i know of.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join