It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'wobble' that wipes out life on Earth every 2.5 million years...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlebird
the myan calender, the end of times the beginning of times. this is the wobble people.

No. Its not the wobble. While the ancients were aware of precession of the equinoxes and constellations, the didn't say that it was bringing about the end of the world. The earth has been wobbling for a long time, it doesn't cause sudden catastrophic change, and it doesn't wipe out all life.

i also beleive in this mayan calender thing. after all, its older than anything i know of.

The mayans weren't an especially old civilization. There are a lot of cultures and texts that predate them.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I just want to clarify something here, I have just finished a degree in environmental science and something is bugging me in the information you are reading off of, especially certain papers. The earth spins on its axis every 24hrs, it orbits the sun every 365 days, it 'wobbles on its axis every 20,000 years and it changes its orbital pattern around the sun every 2.5 million years.

The wobble of the sun every 20,000 years is linked to the pattern of cooling and warming of the planet, even to the pattern of the ice ages, which is also linked to teh output of the sun that with the solar system orbits the galactic centre every 26,000 years, this is the precession the mayans and teh Hopi indians, and a few of the ancient Afrikaan cultures speak of. Yes this is nothing to worry about in general, but then we have never had such a high level of GHG's in the atmosphere before, and as everyone knows (hopefully) the radiation from the sun will get in but not out, therein lies the problem.

Anyway I hope this helps clarify a few things, I hate papers like the NYT they are so F@@@@ing misleading, especially when they are doing what they are told.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
THIS will absolutely will not be Bush's fault.

I do have an overwhelming feeling that something BIG will happen. This is not like predictions from kooks in recent years claiming the world will end. This is being studied by 100's of the finest in the Scientific community and they all agree something this way comes.

If anything, Bush's "deciding" is a diversion from much worse news on the horizon.

We need to look at the sky, for that is where the trouble will come from.

That big ball of redemption

I depress myself.

[edit on 30-1-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
This is being studied by 100's of the finest in the Scientific community and they all agree something this way comes

MOst agree that global warming will lead to sea level rise in our generation and over the next generation or so. We're not talking about flooding out cities like NYC or LA, but certainly causing billions and billions of dollars of damage on the coasts (or at least requiring a great amount of money to relocate peoples and materials).

The thing is, its not going to be 'big'. Global Warming isn't going to 'destroy the earth'. When people on this board are grandparents, canada isn't going to be tropical, texas isnt' going to be an inland sea. But there might be dikes in parts of NYC like with the netherlands. There might be more hurricans and the like, but that doesn't mean dozens of katrina like hurricans every year.

People will say 'well this aint' so bad' and just keep on emitting more and more co2. Things won't 'jump' into a 'suddenly worse' stage, they will just get different generation after generation. At the end of it, things'll be pretty damned different, but thats a long way off, so no one's ever going to probably do anything about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well at least there nothing we can do about it. But buy better coats, or sun screen.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
More like, best to buy a raft and buy houses on high ground. Thats one of the factors that should be taken into account perhaps in the real estate market, or in county assemenets of property value for tax purposes, the rise in sea level.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join