It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent body claims IRA campaign is over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The Independent Monitoring Commission has released an report that states that the IRA is moving away from violence and towards a more political focus.

news.bbc.co.uk
The report indicates that a number of key parts of the IRA's structure have been dismantled or substantially reduced.

Mr Blair said there was "now a consensus across all main players in the politics of Northern Ireland, that change can only come through persuasion and not through violence of any sort".

"The IRA has done what we asked it to do, and while issues like policing remain to be solved, the door is now open to a final settlement, which is why the talks next week in Scotland are going to be so important.

The report indicates that a number of key parts of the IRA's structure have been dismantled or substantially reduced

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Living half a world away I havnt really looked into the Northern Ireland conflict instead my mind has been on the likes of East Timor. It is for this reason that Im not one hundred percent sure what to make of the reports findings. I dont doubt that other organisations still pose a threate in Northern Ireland.

Two Key questions stand out for me.
What can we learn from the British experiances in Northern Ireland ?
Can those lessons be applied in other parts of the globe ?

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
www.news.com.au

[edit on 4-10-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Funny how the IRA have run out of Fusiliers since the Islamic Terrorists appeared on the scene in the UK...

Have they all converted to Islam, and do they still get paid by HMSS ?

new topics

join