It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solid State Diffusion Mechanism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Slap Nuts and BSBray11, Howard, Griff, I know I've posted this before...But I wasn't able to get the header right in the original post, so I'm posing the question again. Can anyone help in explaining what a "Solid State Diffusion Mechanism" is?

The original FEMA report of the WTC disaster, Appendix C, the Limited Metallurgical Examination, states that two pieces of steel were studied because of severe and unusual erosion patterns.

www.house.gov...

Has anyone heard anything more about their statement that:

"The severe corrosion and subsequent erosion of Samples 1 and 2 are a very unusual event. No clear explanation for the source of the sulfur has been identified. The rate of corrosion is also unknown...A detailed study into the mechanisms of this phenomenon is needed..."

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
EDIT... NEVER MIND... PAge 8: Where are you getting the words "Solid State Diffusion Mechanism"? I am not seeing it in the sulfidation quote...

FEMA has never addressed the sulfidation... others have and implicate thermate...

Howard will tell you that sheetrock releases compounds of S when burned, however, this can hardly account for the direct sulfidation of these samples.

I PM'd Labtop for you to ask what EXACTLY a "solid state diffusion mechanism" is... he hasn't been around lately though.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by Slap Nuts]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I asked a physics Ph.D. for a simple example.. he chuckled and said... "a blender"...

He was busy... I will enquire more later.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slap Nuts
Howard will tell you that sheetrock releases compounds of S when burned, however, this can hardly account for the direct sulfidation of these samples.

Right, because "S + fire" does not = the physical evidence presented there. As Prof. Jones outlines in his paper, it takes an amount of heating above and beyond the temperatures a hydrocarbon fire can produce.

Diffusion, as defined here:

The spontaneous intermingling of the particles of two or more substances as a result of random thermal motion.

In this case, the steel and sulfur.

"Solid state" is a term that's native to only electronics, as far as I know. They used to apply voltage to vacuum tubes and produce current through them, and then when they switched over to conductors and semiconductors made of solid materials only, like your motherboard, they started calling those things "solid state".

Outside of that context, I have no idea. I've never heard it outside of that context, but I'm studying electronics, so maybe no surprise there.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Can anyone help in explaining what a "Solid State Diffusion Mechanism" is?

The original FEMA report of the WTC disaster, Appendix C, the Limited Metallurgical Examination, states that two pieces of steel were studied because of severe and unusual "erosion" patterns.

www.fema.gov...

Sections C.4 and C.6 are most important. They explain how "Future Research" is needed to explain the thinning of the steel by high temperature corrosion due to sulfidation and oxidation; and that "No clear explanation for the source of the sulfur has been identified."

If nothing else, truthers should demand the future research be done.

How many of us enter high-rise steel structures daily? If it was all due to fire and impacts, it could happen again soon...(< sarcasm)

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Slap nuts = pootie

You should look into Dr. Jones' examinations of the steel samples he received. Your question will be answered. They did x-ray flouresence tests and electron scanning microscopy on the samples... very revealing.

I have also found he will answer emails usually within 48 hours if you have a simple, direct question. He has treated me like a student when I have emailed him.

Good guy.

If you can't find the article at stj911.org let me or him know.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

diffusion (dĭ-fy'zhən) Pronunciation Key

The movement of atoms or molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. Atoms and small molecules can move across a cell membrane by diffusion.

Source: dictionary.reference.com...

To me, this sounds like a sublimating problem. Solid state would infer (sp?) that the two materials stayed solid while the diffussion was happening as oppossed to say liquifying and then diffussing (like osmosis). I think solid state diffussion would be the sublimating of one material and condensation (in a solid state, never reaching liquid) on the other substance. I.E. the sulfur that condensed onto the steel. That's just my opinion. I'm not a metalurgist, so take it with a grain of salt.

top topics

join