It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do presidents use a Masonic bible at Presidential Inaugurations?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Nygdan also asked this, and it hasn't been answered, and I am curious. What the heck is a 'masonic bible'?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The Bibles used in Masonic lodges are mostly in areas that are dominated by the Christian faith. In areas such as Turkey a Masonic Quran is used, in Israel the Pentateuch. The Masonic Christian Bible contains the OT and NT, as well as some other additions, as this image from one of the pages of the Masonic Bible states:

www.catholicapologetics.net...

From what I've seen in the Masonic Bibles presented on websites, it seems the only difference between a regular Bible and that of the Mason's Bible is that the Mason's Bible will always show the symbol of the Freemasons on the cover as well as include extra pages as seen here to include notes.

As noted on this page, it seems that the Bible's passages can only be read when certain events take place, and only certain member degrees are designated to read particular passages:

"The Bible is known Masonically as the book of the Law, when opened at its proper place in the Lodge, because it is defusing the proper light among the brethren. The passages on which it is opened, differ in the various degrees."

"Although referred to in the manuscripts before the revival of 1717, as the book upon which the covenant was taken, it was never referred to as a great light. In the oldest ritual that we have, that of 1724, -- a copy of which from the Royal Library in Berlin is given by Krause, -- there is no mention of the Bible as one of the lights. Preston made it apart of the furniture of the Lodge; but in the rituals of 1760 it is described as one of the three great lights. In the American system, the Bible is both a piece of furniture and a great light. It is placed upon the altar in the center of the Lodge room, and must be opened at certain designated passages during the ritual and the conferring of the different degrees. It occupies this position as a symbol of the refulgent rays of Divine Truth which permeate all the transactions of the Lodge."

[edit on 25-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Are you aware that God placed Himself under oath 17 times in the Bible, and that the Apostle Paul placed himself under oath 5 times in his Epistles?

Ok. Here we go.
First off, God never said He wasent allowed take oaths. Jesus said that we(humans) are not to take oaths.
As for Paul, well I cant seem to find the part in the Bible that says "Paul is perfect so go and do everything that Paul did."
It dosent really matter how namy times Paul took an oath, he still wasent suppose to. Lots of people are guilty murderers even though murder is against the law. Does the fact that someone, or anyone broke the law make it null and void? I sure hope not.
Anyway here is little info that I pasted from a site, the name of witch I have chosen to keep secret.
"What does the Bible say about taking oaths? God, through the apostle James, clearly states that Christians must not swear by an oath: “But above all things, my brethren, swear not…but let your yes be your yes; and your no, no; lest you fall into condemnation” (Jms. 5:12).
Christ also said, in Matthew 5:34-37, “I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool: nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one” (Revised Authorized Version).
But God knows that we often lack the power to act on even our strongest desires and intentions. If a person were to swear an oath in God’s name and fail in it, he would be breaking the Third Commandment—taking God’s name in vain. If we do something that God commands us not to do, it is sin (I John 3:4).
We cannot bring God into a matter. He can bring Himself into a matter.
But what if one is called to testify in a courtroom? United States and Canadian law both provide for one to affirm the truth with a “yes” or “no”—the simple answers Christ and James admonish us to give. One is not required to raise his hand and swear."
I guess I should mention that there is a significant difference between knowing the Bible and understanding the Bible.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by testingatheory]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RWPBR

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Washington was a mason and considered one of the greatest masons of all time. Furthermore he was instrumental in the design of Washington DC, masonic capital of the new world.

So when you place your hands on this bible you are praying to the mason god zabulon or whatever it is called.

If you swear on a King James Version are you praying to the Archbishop of Canterbury ?

Good question and I can't answer that definitively since KJ was said to not be religious according to some and then others claim he wanted to be both King and Archbishop at the same time.

Well we know that the Scotish Rite is the prima masonic voice and their HQ is London England now so you have a point.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RWPBR

Washington was a mason and considered one of the greatest masons of all time. Furthermore he was instrumental in the design of Washington DC, masonic capital of the new world.

So when you place your hands on this bible you are praying to the mason god zabulon or whatever it is called.

If you swear on a King James Version are you praying to the Archbishop of Canterbury ?

Good question and I can't answer that definitively since KJ was said to not be religious according to some and then others claim he wanted to be both King and Archbishop at the same time.

Well we know that the Scotish Rite is the prima masonic voice and their HQ is London England now so you have a point.

God where do these fools come out of the wood work?

The Scottish Rite is nothing in Masonry (in fact I am very displeased with it and wish it'd go away mostly).

It has two head-quarters one in the Northern US (I think in Michigan) and one in the Southern US (in South Carolina?)

It has nothing to do with England.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

IIRC in America "Prima Masonic voice" is the York Rite and most of the Brothers in my Lodge are not involved in the Scottish Rite. YMMV

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

The Scottish Rite is nothing in Masonry (in fact I am very displeased with it and wish it'd go away mostly).

It has two head-quarters one in the Northern US (I think in Michigan) and one in the Southern US (in South Carolina?)

Quite correct. The Scottish Rite doesn't even exist under that name in England.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Actually the Scottish Rite has "Supreme Councils" in NUMEROUS countries around the world...including England. There it's called "scottish" the Ancient & Accepted Rite of England & Wales and sometimes just "Rose Croix." It controls the degrees numbered 4-33.

There are indeed two Supreme Councils in the United States. The Supreme Council for the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction is in Lexington, Massachusetts, not Michican and the Supreme Council for the Southern Jurisdiction, while founded in Charleston, SC has had it's HQ in Washington DC for many years.

It's important to note that the various Supreme Councils exercise NO authority over the Craft or "Blue-Lodge" degrees (1-3) and that if a member of the Scottish Rite (32nd or 33rd Degree) is suspended or expelled from the Blue Lodge, he is automatically suspended or expelled from the Scottish Rite.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Appak

Actually the Scottish Rite has "Supreme Councils" in NUMEROUS countries around the world...including England. There it's called "scottish" the Ancient & Accepted Rite of England & Wales and sometimes just "Rose Croix." It controls the degrees numbered 4-33.

There are indeed two Supreme Councils in the United States. The Supreme Council for the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction is in Lexington, Massachusetts, not Michican and the Supreme Council for the Southern Jurisdiction, while founded in Charleston, SC has had it's HQ in Washington DC for many years.

It's important to note that the various Supreme Councils exercise NO authority over the Craft or "Blue-Lodge" degrees (1-3) and that if a member of the Scottish Rite (32nd or 33rd Degree) is suspended or expelled from the Blue Lodge, he is automatically suspended or expelled from the Scottish Rite.

Boys and their clubs, I am not sure why you seek to build-up any prestige of the Scottish Rite...though maybe you're just being truthful. I still consider them to be no more useful than the Chaman Grotto or Order of Eastern Star.

They do not establish the tennets of Freemasonry, the bond that binds us all, nor do they necessarily if at all support philosophy. (Since all but their 33rd Degree is usually given in several days en masse).

It's really just a history lesson built by one man who was the poster child of the "Historical Stickler's Society" in Futurama (responsible for returning the spacecraft part of the Moon lander to the Moon).

The whole point of which was summed up by your last paragraph - their authority is nothing, their status in lodge jeapordizes their status in the Scottish Rite and therefore it is those in power of the lodge who have power over the 33rds and all those poobahs.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Boys and their clubs, I am not sure why you seek to build-up any prestige of the Scottish Rite...though maybe you're just being truthful.

I'm NOT trying to "build-up any prestige" I'm just stating the facts.

Don't like the Scottish Rite? Don't join. It's pretty simple.

I still consider them to be no more useful than the Chaman Grotto or Order of Eastern Star.

Don't know what the "chaman Grotto" is, but OK. Tell me this. Your opinion of the Scottish Rite means....uhm....WHAT? (and to whom?)

Just curious.

They do not establish the tennets of Freemasonry,

Do you mean "tenets" perchance? Because if you did...NO, The Scottish Rite does NOT "establish" them. It simply reiterates them...as they are established by the three "Craft" Degrees.

nor do they necessarily if at all support philosophy.

You've obviously NEVER experienced the degrees of said Rite. That's ALL the Scottish Rite is about...Philosophy.

(Since all but their 33rd Degree is usually given in several days en masse).

The Degrees may be quickly given (in the U.S.) but their teachings are NOT quickly learned.

It's really just a history lesson built by one man who was the poster child of the "Historical Stickler's Society" in Futurama (responsible for returning the spacecraft part of the Moon lander to the Moon).

Uhm....you've REALLY lost me there...since the Scottish Rite Degrees pre-date the 19th Century and were only standardized in 1801.....

The whole point of which was summed up by your last paragraph - their authority is nothing,

Not to non-Scottish Rite Masons, no. To SCOTTISH RITE Masons, they're pretty darned important.

their status in lodge jeapordizes their status in the Scottish Rite

How so?

and therefore it is those in power of the lodge who have power over the 33rds and all those poobahs.

Not only have I been a Mason for MANY years...I'm a 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason and I'll be damned if I've EVER ONCE met a "poobah" !

Why do those who have NO CLUE keep using that term?

<< 1   >>

join