It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What handgun do I need to kill a black bear?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Are you planning on having a cigerette after you kill the bear or a cigar? I suggest you use your hands. No guns.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Good question. Probably neither I don't particularly like smoking tobacco. Maybe a shot of George Dickel.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I know that smith and wesson is a good brand but I don't know about the Magnum.

By all means a S&W would "fit you to a T". S&W is the company that sold out to
the anti gun lobby.

Indays of old I supported the lions , today it is the Bears I support. You will make
them a tasty supper. after you have ripened a bit of course.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Arius,
I was just rising to the stereotype of the 'colonial olde-worlde tea-drinking brit' you wrongly pidgeon-holed me as, no need to get offensive. I don't have a problem with hunting if it's to feed yourself, in fact I envy your opportunity to be able to do so, but to kill a bear purely for sport is something I find distasteful. Why not track and 'shoot' a bear in the wild with a camera?...takes all the same hunting and tracking skills to follow your prey, and you'd need to get to within similar range as a firearm for a truely good photo.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Very true all the same skills are necessary. Glad to see you didn't take too much offense at my british comments. Maybe I'll take a camera along with me on the hunt and as I scout out some hunting areas. If you want to hunt too get a plane ticket and fly over for a couple weeks I'll put you up at the house.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well everyone else has offered their thoughts... So I might as well offer my 2-Cents.

Although regretable that the bear killed your dog, there are a number of things we have
to accept both 'pro and con' in a situation like this. If the bear is a female, it's quite possible
that she was defending her cubs from what she deemed an 'intruder' or possible threat.
If the bear was also extremely hungry might be another option in this scenario.

Whatever the case may be, there is always a few facts to contend with, Bears are a wild
animal that think within a differant mental system than most animals. They are territorial and generally will not have anything to do with man, unless they have been often visiting trash bins in nearby areas. As man keeps encroaching into the wilderness we force the animals to constantly be on the move. But as man infiterates "their" forest, we bring along tempting enticements that a wild animal never had to contend with. The outdoor BBQ's of sweet cooking smell of animal flesh, domestic easy prey like dogs and cats, trash containers. The problem is that as the bears get acclamated to the easy food source (regardless of what it is), the bolder the bear gets and the less afraid it is of man.

Most of the comments here on the forum are emotionally based. Most of whom would toss up their dinner after being in a slaughter house for 5 minutes to see how that hamburger or steak got onto their dinner table. I do not advocate killing simply out of a rage because a wild animal did what is in it's nature to do, hunt... But I would check with the local/regional animal services to see if this is an ongoing occurence. If so, then you can feel justified that your performing a service to the community. If this bear has done this before, whose to say that the next victim might not be a small child? If the bear has a history in the area, it will only get bolder and bolder.

Weapons
In regards to using a handgun, in my opinion I'd want to be as far as way as possible with a rifle in lieu of a handgun. Your going to have to wait till the bear is within a 25-40 yard distance with a handgun. If your not already a handgun marksmen, well you might experience first hand what your dog did.. no offense.. simply a reality check. If your bound and determined to use a handgun, I'd use a tree-stand to give myself a bit more of a chance for protection. A magnum-level semi-auto, such as a Desert Eagle or Grizzly Win Mag would be my handguns of choice. I'd avoid the single shooters like a T/C Contender.

With the above said, here are a few links for you:
www.foggymountain.com...

And your going to do better on advice at a forum that has hunters as members:
forums.huntingclub.com...

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck as the experience whether positive or negative
will never change the past, will not bring your dog back, and will be something you never forget or perhaps not even live thru... Choose your path wisely.

[edit on 22-9-2006 by JohnnyAnonymous]

[edit on 22-9-2006 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I can understand the anger toward a loyal companion, your dog, being killed by a bear, but as Johnny Anon points out, you may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time...either just after hibernation season when bears will be ravenous, or you and your dog got too close to a nursing female and her cubs.
Although what i'd like to know is, is your wanting to hunt bear from the perspective of revenge? or for the ultimate thrill of kill-or-be-killed?

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I havn't hunted yet, but am looking forward to do so. I will only shoot to eat, or in self defense if I see an animal stronger then me (not many animals are stronger then me
hehe) charge at me.

The only thing I want to say is I strongly dissagree on killing off the bears, as all animals are important to nature, the ecosystem, and the world. This is not just the human's world. This is the animal's world, too, plus they were here first. Give them respect just like you should give respect to other humans.

Good luck, I hope you don't get killed, I don't know who you are but I definetley hope you don't get hurt. And, I guess since you want to do this, I'd recommend the strongest firearm you can get your hands on-you might not be able to fire a second shot. Also practice on other stuff, if you suck at shooting, you better get good at it, or else you are risking your life. I feel sorry for your dog, but I myself wouldn't keep my dog outside, ESPECIALLY in bear country. In those 2 years you could've learned a lesson, bought a new dog, bonded with him (c'mon, 2 years is more then enough to bond with a dog) and remembered to not repeat the same thing twice. By the way, I can imagine the look on your wife's face when you told her to post on ATS if the bear won.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If you really want to fight the bear fair, fight it like it would fight you; using any and all advantages you could possibly muster.
If you think that, if bears could, use a gun to fight you, they wouldn't? Wrong my friend, in the animal world its kill or be killed, so any advantage you could possibly use would be in the tradition of all the animals that have ever existed.

Vengful Killing isn't nessisarily a bad thing, I'd just try and make sure it was the same bear.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Originally posted by MadMachinist
As for the non hunting tree huggers have you ever heard of conservation what would happen if thier where no hunting and with our population growing
with out proper conservation given the habitat size animals have you would have over population problems, it would result in big problems within thier food chain, disease would spread rampant, animals like the coyote's population would go through the roof

Fair enough. But does killing a black bear for revenge count as "population control"? And is it up to Arius to keep the numbers at bay? And if it was - which it's not - would killing it with a handgun at close range - and possibly “hand-to-hand combat" be the right way to go?

What the "hunters" and "number controllers" forget is that we are the intruders. If we left nature to go its own way, there would be no over-population problems. We took away their habitat, and then we want to punish them for it? Somehow I'm missing the "fairness" in all of that?

I don't mind the hunting, really I don't. But when it becomes a pointless but emotional, ego trip, then I have a problem with it.

Well, looking at the bigger picture, I would rather take my chances with moose over-population, than a vengeful guy with the most powerful handgun under $100.

Edit: Format

[edit on 20-9-2006 by Gemwolf]

yes you have your points also and they are valid but thier is nothing wrong with hunting a bear with a hand gun providing they have the proper hand gun for the job.
several states still have a hand gun only season for hunting, as for it being pointless it is not this bear came in close proximity of a house and attacked a dog normaly they wont do that that in itself is something to be considered.

You are correct if we let nature go its own way it would be fine eventually that is providing we humans were not around and thats not going to happen the only logical way to help and keep a hold on wildlife is with conservation, Without conservation with dwendling forest land eventually the only animals with a good chance of survival will be the predators then what happens to the other animals they get wiped out.

The only thing i can say is if you are going to go after this bear make sure you know what you are doing, know your firearm, practice with it alot before you go and make a clean and decisive kill.
I am 100% pro hunting and i realy dont understand the people that are against hunting either they have seen a bad hunter or they are just uneducated about it but 1 thing for sure hunting is necessary, but it needs to held in check and the state fish and game from state to state are doing a good job of it.

You know I have ate Tofu before i think i will stick with red meat.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thanks for all the posts guys. I think I am going to go with the .460. To answer a few questions that have been raised. I do know how to operate a handgun. I enjoy shooting my P1 9mm and my 38 special. Granted there is a big difference between firing these two guns and a large caliber pistol like a .50 caliber. I have fired my cousings .50 caliber desert eagle and it was like firing a cannon. I have been told that the muzzle break on the S&W cuts back significantly on the recoil.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
OK, I also wanted to tell you guys I visited my parents last night and about 2:00 in the morning coyotes were howling outside the house. Let me just say, coyotes are not indigenous to were my parents live. Looks like I'm going to have to start hunting coyotes again. It's been a while since I've been but my mom and my sister walking their dogs during the day and the coyotes started howling and scared them back to the house. My uncle has also seen a bobcat. I think the wildlife is getting out of control. I don't live out west and this is really getting out of hand. Time to get my 30/30 out and practice.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Your hunting bear...
You said the bear killed your dog, boo hoo...

It just amazes me that people will go out and kill an animal for doing what comes natural to it.
People will go out and kill every bear in the woods if one person is mauled because they start to view them as a threat.

I had a friend taken by a cougar when I was about 11 years old. She was picking black berries at Ahousat B.C. when the cat attacked and dragged her off. People ran from the village to search, men scoured the woods for a few hours, but everyone knew she was dead.

Not one person suggested picking up a gun and hunting down the cat............

The Priest was called, the village mourned, and everyone was more careful in the woods after that.
In many ways it was a lesson to all us kids about how much care we needed to take when we were out playing or picking stuff for meals. Sure a child was lost, but over 30 kids learned a lesson that helped them survive, so her lost life was not in vain.

How could you ever blame the wild animal for getting a meal ? :shk:

Ok,so a cougar ate a little girl in your town,and NOONE thought it prudent to hunt down and kill her killer?I'm sorry but thats dumb beyond belief.
I did a little research and cougars are solitary and VERY territorial.
www.bcadventure.com...
That means that there was only ONE cat in your area that could have killed that little girl.And everyone just shrugged and said "oh well poor susie who",that makes me so angry i could spit!No one found her body?no one tracked down this cat?It's not a ghost,it didnt just disapear.
How is a little girl being eaten by a cougar a good lesson on being careful in the woods?What is a child going to do against a full grown apex predator?I dont care how aware or careful you are,if your being hunted by an animal,your toast unless you have fire power!I dont think you guys learned any lesson,the moral of that lesson was,People are GREATER than animals,and you should be armed if your in the wilderness.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
As far as a good weapon for hunting black bear goes,it's really hard to beat the Ruger .44 mag redhawk.
There are really hot loads you can get for them that put the terminal ballistics in the 30.30 range,with a heavier bullet,and the ability to use hollow points,JHP,silver tips,FMJ or whatever else you want.Also,with a ruger you will NEVER have to worry about it "shooting loose".Personally,I'd load FMJ for extra penetration.Bear bones and muscles are big and tough.Hollow points wont do the job.Plus,get the extra barrel length,such as the 7 1/2 inch barrel,100 yard+ shots arent that hard with practice..makes it a whole lot more accurate too,helps ALOT with felt recoil,and adds velocity to your rounds.
As for semi auto's in the wilderness?I would steer clear of them.Dont get me wrong,semi auto's are fine,but in the woods you want something thats pretty fail safe,plus the only semi auto that can even come close to comparing to a revolver for power is the 10 MM.and they are a pretty penny!My ruger cost me $350.00 new in box,and my hunter belt rig was $65.00 on ebay.Ammo isnt cheap,but it's alot cheaper than .500,.454,or 10MM.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Thanks Samhain I'll check out the gun your talking about. Sounds like it will cost less than the .460. I agree about the revolver. I wouldn't even think about taking a semi auto into the woods against a black bear. I want to pull the trigger and not worry about whether the safety is on.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
hey i sympathize with the dog thing but theres still no need to go kill this bear. Bears were in the area before you and your dog ever were. Any conflict with your dog or u is the result of loss of habitat and instinct on the bears part. If your worried about it, call your local department that handles trouble animals. Its the human need to kill everything wherever they live in retaliation, ignorance or thrill thats led to many of the eco crisis's our world's in. No problem with defending yourself but the things got a right to live as much as you

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
obviously the point that is being missed here is that you IE: people/humans/2leggeds
are continually moving into/encroaching on/ violating, their the 4 legged ones territory/
space/homes/ areas of subsistance. You dont give a rubber rats ass about their survival
living or children. It all about You . You Want , you have to have. You . You.

Well here is a thought for YOU. If YOU ever find yourself in MY neck of the woods,
and I have to make a decision between YOU and a 4 Legged I certainly hope
that you are right with your creator because I will CAP YOUR ASS IN a HEARTBEAT.

The More I am around People the More I Love Wolves

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hmmm......I need to do some thinkin' on this one......
What kind of a hand gun to kill a bear?
First off I'd have to say - A big one. A really big one.
No Wait! I think the perfect handgun to kill a bear would be one of those phasers like Captain Kirk used to use! Yeah I bet that would be one surprised bear!

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I agree about it being an act of a coward; however I really don't believe most of what the OP is going on about anyway. I think this guy is just trying to get a rise out of us.

If he is serious then it's just another example of twisted logic that gives 'real hunters' and 'sportsmen' a bad name. Hopefully a Game Warden will be knocking on your door or better yet catch you in the act. Personally, after reading your posts I wouldn't want to be within 100 miles of you and your 'handgun'.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'd go with an 88 magnum..............it shoots through schools.

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join