It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st person of Iranian origin in space: A woman!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Anousheh Ansari will become the first woman tourist in space when she launches off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazhakistan on Monday, 18th September 2006.
More than that she will become the first Iranian(rather person of Iranian origin) in space.
The fact that the first 'Iranian' in space will be a woman makes it even more interesting.

She is a telecomm business tycoon who made it big in Texas after emigrating from Iran post-revolution.
She has trained at Johnson Space Center and at theGagarin Space Center,Star City and she will be space bound on Monday.

www.cbsnews.com
"I was born in Iran, and I have sentimental attachment to that country. But if it wasn't for all the opportunities and education I received in the United States, I wouldn't be here today."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many will be prompt to make the connection between Anousheh Ansari and the Ansari X-Prize. Indeed her family had made a sizeable contribution to the Ansari X Prize won by Burt Rutan & Co. in 2004.
Anousheh has been a pioneer of sorts in the sphere of commercial space travel and she will be closing the gender gap in this field with her launch on Monday.
Anousheh has not got much notice from the government or media in Iran (Shirin Ebadi Syndrome anyone?) though this is a pleasant and welcome change in the current US-Iranian standoff

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
CBSNews(Video Interview included)
Countdown to launch Anousheh's Blog

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia agrees to sending iran into space
IAEA Calls U.S. Report on Iran "Outrageous and Dishonest"
Poll: 54% say U.S. should strike militarily if necessary to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons
Iran's President To Visit UN!

[edit on 17-9-2006 by Daedalus3]

mod edit, fixed links

[edit on 17-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I guess if you have millions to spend in space it doesn't matter what your nation of birth may be.

I wish I got 20 million dollars to buy me a trip to outer space.

But sits are limited . . . I believe Madonna is trying to get one for 2008.

The 38 year-old engineer, who made a fortune in telecommunications, is spending more than $20 million for her 10-day trip to the International Space Station.

What can I say money talks . . . you know the rest.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Oh this is sweet. The Iranian clerics consider women to be nothing more than property and here the first Iranian in space is a woman who paid for the trip herself. I can't help but wonder if they are covering the trip in the Iranian newspapers.

I wish her a safe flight and hopefully she'll spread some light into the darkened minds of the religious rulers of her homeland.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Its not just the money Marg,

A prospective Japanese space tourist was bumped off just recently(Anousheh served as his tourist back-up..lol..) because he failed one of the zillions of medicals you've got to go through.
Training to go to space isn't easy, whether you've got 20 million to spare or not!
Plus she's probably one of the most deserving as she's been actively involved(not just financially) in the X prize and commercial space flight as a whole.

She hasn't got much notice in Iran though but I doubt it'll remain that way. She's supposed to be wearing the Iranian flag patch anyways.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
She will easily be a role model. Good find, Daedalus.

It must be an amazing experience to see all of Earth with you own eyes and experience free fall orbit. Hopefully, one day the tourism will be less expensive enough for even the not so rich to go on.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
She will easily be a role model. Good find, Daedalus.

It must be an amazing experience to see all of Earth with you own eyes and experience free fall orbit. Hopefully, one day the tourism will be less expensive enough for even the not so rich to go on.

I agree 100%. She will be an excellent role model for young women the world over. And if this is what hard work and dedication bring to you, I say all the better!

[edit on 18-9-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
When i read the header my initial thought was "this is proof of Irans mens abuse of women"being that the US and Russia sent up fruit flies a monkey then a dog first.

Good on her and hope all goes well.

Just saw the rocket taking off on the news,wow the Russians still build their rockets ugly like the 70`s bell bottom jeans,though admit it looked a lot better than their older types.

[edit on 18-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The 'bell-bottoms' rocket+ launch vehicle is the Soyuz and it is by far the most reliable launch vehicle to date.

Interfax Update on Anousheh & Crew

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
The 'bell-bottoms' rocket+ launch vehicle is the Soyuz and it is by far the most reliable launch vehicle to date.

Interfax Update on Anousheh & Crew

Oh i dont doubt it,the Lada Neva won indurance races proving its reliability,though i`d take my chances driving something else rather than be seen driving one

top topics

join