It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Ellison Be The First Muslim In The U.S. Congress?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
State represintive Keith Ellison won the Democratic primary race. Kieth Ellison is also favored to be the first Muslim in U.S. congress. He also favors U.S. withdrawal from Iraq. During his victory party he said that during the election the people used greetings from many different cultures of which all meant peace. This is being called a very encouraging sign of empowerment of American Muslims. Kieth Ellison won more the forty percent of the vote in a seven way race. He was also criticized for ties to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakahn.

www.washingtonpost.com
"In this election, we had people who say 'shalom.' We had people who say 'as-salaamu aleykum.' We had people who say all the words of greeting to each other in peace, because peace must be the guiding principle of our nation," the 43-year-old Ellison told his raucous victory party in Minneapolis on Tuesday night.

A representative of the Council on American-Islamic Relations welcomed the nomination as a step forward.

"We think it's a very encouraging sign, a sure sign of the growing empowerment of American Muslims and their growing participation in the body politic," spokesman Corey Saylor said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Everything has a first time. Since we are a species who divides our selves into groups, each time a person in a group does something that has not been done by a person in the group before it is a first. This man seems to have a lot of support behind him, and is also a good orator. It sounds to be likely that he will win the seat in Congress. So the U.S. will now have another first to note in its history. What will be most interesting is to see how this will play out in world politics.

Related News Links:
www.allheadlinenews.com
www.washingtonpost.com
www.zaman.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
Take over of the USA!
A Little Letter from John Ashcroft and Tom Ridge to my dad

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
He will actually set two points in history. One being a Muslim congressman, and the second being the first black congressman in his state.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
DJ,
That is a good point, thank you very much!
Yes Two points to his credit. I do think his place in the history on the state will be set.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Almost had me but then you had to mention a hater like farakan.( Mispelling intentional)

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by notbuynit
Almost had me but then you had to mention a hater like farakan.( Mispelling intentional)

Farrakhan is just part of the news story. But I dont know a whole lot about him so cant really coment to much. Although the story did say that his past taxes and parking tickets did cause more problems then the Farrakhan conection.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There is more to this that I don't think has been menchened yet. First of all many states in the U.S. have been switching ove to electronic voteing. Back when this was first starting to happen there were many concerns raised about the security of the votes. But it is more cost efective, being there is no papper trail to follow, and with no papper trail to follow there is much less accauntability. When there is less accauntability there is greater chances for some one to change just enuff votes to get a senator, or congressmen into office that is favorable to what ever cause the person changeing the votes wants.

This is something that still needs to be considered. There is more information on it hear.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I hope he gets elected

It will be good for American politics.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just what we need, an antisemitic, nation of islam, cop killer defending, black power, kill the white devils idiot in congress.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinksYouAreAnIdiot
Just what we need, an antisemitic, nation of islam, cop killer defending, black power, kill the white devils idiot in congress.

Thinks,
I am not to farmiler with many of Ellison's ideas, platform, or votes. So if you have some of this information and know where it is located could you please post the link with the external sorce block so we all can farmilurise our selves with it.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Powerline has been doing and publishing research on this guy for nearly a year now. Not only is it disturbing it is getting very little press in the mainstream media.
This link is to thier search page with quite a bit of the articles posted for the last year on him.
www.powerlineblog.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Powerline has been doing and publishing research on this guy for nearly a year now. Not only is it disturbing it is getting very little press in the mainstream media.
This link is to thier search page with quite a bit of the articles posted for the last year on him.
www.powerlineblog.com...

Thanks Thinks,
I have it pulled up now and will be looking it over.

For any one who would like to see some of what is being said about this man hear is a few words for those who dont want to read the complete news story.

Very interesting. Now can we find out why Ellison was leading demonstrations against the Minneapolis police with Willis after four of Willis's Vice Lords gangbangers shot Minneapolis police officer Jerry Haaf in the back?

That too is undoubtedly explained by Ellison's quest for "peace." Ellison chanted, "We don't get no justice, you don't get no peace" outside the courthouse in support of one of Willis's Vice Lords gangbangers who was being tried and convicted for the murder of Officer Haaf.

the link

[edit on 14-9-2006 by RedGolem]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I just figured if we are going to bring up that moment in time, we should get some news on that story from the source.

On Sept. 25, 1992, 30-year police veteran Jerry Haaf died on the floor of the Pizza Shack restaurant in south Minneapolis after being shot in the back while on his morning coffee break. The execution-style shooting remains one of the most shocking acts of violence against an officer in Minneapolis history. Haaf's killing came during a low point in police-minority relations at home and nationally: In Los Angeles, riots followed the acquittal of police officers in the Rodney King beating trial. In Minneapolis gangs traded gunfire daily, rumors of Minneapolis police misconduct were rampant, and the police administration was at a loss for how to gain the trust of the city's minority residents. MPR News looks back at the legacy officer Jerry Haaf's death left on the city and the progress and challenges since then.

Fifty-four percent of complaints to the CRA in 1994, 58 percent in 1995, and 61 percent in 1996 were made by people of color, although they constitute just one-quarter of the city's population.6 A representative of the Minneapolis Urban League, which receives complaints primarily from the African-American community, told Human Rights Watch that his office receives approximately fifty complaints a month alleging police misconduct.7 As cited in a 1994 study about drug enforcement in minority communities in Minneapolis, the Urban League said:

The issue is essentially that the black African-American citizen continues to be deprived of the same civil liberties as those offered to the white Anglo suburbanite. The black citizen is caught in an unenviable dilemma. They must depend on the police to provide basic services, yet do not trust the police to provide the service fairly and equitably. There is a basic distrust for the police and the black African-American feels that any time the police will turn on them and they will be the one incarcerated. If we are to make any progress, this basic distrust must be overcome.8

This distrust, on both sides, came to the fore when Minneapolis Police Officer Jerry Haaf was shot and killed on September 25, 1992, and the suspects were African-American.9 One of the suspects in the shooting alleged brutality by the Hennepin County sheriff's deputies detaining him.10 And after the shooting, the racial climate remained tense. Several African-American young men alleged police brutality in unrelated cases. In one, Larry Dent said he was beaten badly and was called "'n-word'" by several white officers in front of onlookers;11 Dent suffered several injuries to his jaw, eyes, and mouth, and lost two teeth.12 When asked about excessive force problems, then-Chief Laux acknowledged there were occasional problems but that "you got to factor in [Officer] Jerry Haaf's murder, you got to factor in the frequency [sic] officers take away guns and the senseless murders that are happening."

Human Rights Watch

Of course nothing justifies this officer's murder. However, we should not conclude Ellisons march during that time as support for the murder, but more so a message to the things happening at the time.

I really also am not surprised by the fact that the three founders of the conservative blog powerline are hating on this Black Muslim. Hey whatever, this is his past. Noone seems to care aobut our White Politicians' pasts, but if a Black Muslim is running, try try and if possible make stuff up I am sure.

Those with narrowminds will of course judge him I guess because of a March he participated in? Oh wait he is a member of the Nation of Islam, I suppose that means he is an undercover terrorist to some. I wish I could give him my vote, but I am a Florida citizen.

[edit on 9/14/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Tax evasion, Failure to pay traffic fines, membership in the nation of Islam which is a hate group, Lieing about the length of his membership in the nation of Islam, Marching outside a trial in which a cop killer is being tried screaming "no justice no peace" Defending anti-semitic statements, Is this the type of behavior we should expect from our "leaders"

So what if powerline is "conservative" can you impune thier investigation? Can you raise contradictory evidence? Do you have anything other than your own narrow mindedness to show that they "made it up"

This guys a nutter, not because hes black or muslim, but because hes a nutter.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

uh what about his effect on the USA.. you know the country you live in and not Israel?

Myself this guy scares me if he is linked to Farrahkhan, since his methods have been questionable all along.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo

uh what about his effect on the USA.. you know the country you live in and not Israel?

Myself this guy scares me if he is linked to Farrahkhan, since his methods have been questionable all along.

Where did I mention Isreal?
I mentioned hes antisemitic, theres a difference.
Jews live in America too, in fact the US has a larger jewish population than isreal itself.
The guys a nutter, hes a racist, hes an anti-semite, he doesnt pay his taxes or his tickets which shows he has no respect for the law, and he seems to support violence against the police.
What about any of that is good for the USA?

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Tax evasion, Failure to pay traffic fines, membership in the nation of Islam which is a hate group, Lieing about the length of his membership in the nation of Islam, Marching outside a trial in which a cop killer is being tried screaming "no justice no peace" Defending anti-semitic statements, Is this the type of behavior we should expect from our "leaders"

to anser your question no, this is not the kind of behavior we should exspect from our leaders.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Of all the things you listed, the only possible serious criminal act would be tax evasion. And tax evasion can describe quite a broad number of things, such as not paying a small sum of income tax for whatever reason. Millions of citizens have unpaid parking tickets (woah call the National GAURD!!), and whatever his reasons for marching outside a trial, it is in fact his first amendmant right. Although the history of the Nation of Islam can at best be described as odd, it is it's own group that has the rights to hold its own beliefs.

THE NATION OF ISLAM was founded on the basis of peace and as an answer to a prayer of Abraham to deliver his people who would be found in servitude slavery in the Western Hemisphere in this day and time. The Flag of Islam with the symbols of the Sun, Moon, and the Stars, represent the Universe and is also a Banner of Universal peace and Harmony. Our Holy Temples of Islam were established in America as sanctuaries of peace and higher learning into the Knowledge of the Oneness of God. Our schools are called Universities of Islam and teach the higher meaning of Islam which is Mathematics. We have always been taught to respect the laws of the land. We are taught never to carry arms, to make war or to be the aggressor, for this is against the nature of the righteous. We are taught the Principles of Divine Unity and the Universal Brotherhood of Islam.

They cater to the needs of a specific people, and they do alot for that group.

Anyways, let us not forget Sen. Robert Byrd himself, the longest serving member of the Senate, was a member of the KKK as well as his father. However, I do believe a man can be forgiven of his sins and change himself in contrast to a conflicted past.

Through sympathetic elected officials, the KKK controlled the governments of Tennessee, Indiana, Oklahoma, and Oregon in addition to some of the Southern legislatures. Klan influence was particularly strong in Indiana, where Republican Klansman Edward Jackson was elected governor in 1924, and the entire apparatus of state government was riddled with Klansmen. In another well-known example from the same year, the Klan decided to make Anaheim, California, into a model Klan city; it secretly took over the city council, but was voted out in a special recall election.

A well known Hate-group has controlled many parts of our government in the past, something the Nation of Islam cannot be charged with.
Do not be so hasty to judge this man. As far as the allegations these white conservative lawyers are trying to demonize him with, millions of Americans are guilty of the same exact things, and are still good people. We should give this man the opportunity he deserves!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Do not be so hasty to judge this man. As far as the allegations these white conservative lawyers are trying to demoralize him with, millions of Americans are guilty of the same exact things, and are still good people. We should give this man the opportunity he deserves!

I agree with you, remember that is congress election time and demoralizing candidates for personal agendas to help preferred candidates win or keep their seats is part of the game.

After all who can forget the infamous swift boat for the truth.

Been black and muslin is already a very good point to exploit.

ThinksYouAreAnIdiot
just what we need, an antisemitic, nation of Islam, cop killer defending, black power, kill the white devils idiot in congress.

Comments like the quote above only brings sentiments of a bad nature. If the candidate is in any way a bad candidate and is ways to prove it, then is better to bring the facts.

Or let the people in his state made the decision with votes.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Comments like the quote above only brings sentiments of a bad nature. If the candidate is in any way a bad candidate and is ways to prove it, then is better to bring the facts.

Or let the people in his state made the decision with votes.

The links in the messages above do go to the web sites where the situations that were being comented on are listed. It does not really paint a pretty pictuer to me.

It is unforchent that the facts sometimes just dont come out enuff for the people to find out about them enuff to make a difference in the vote.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
The links in the messages above do go to the web sites where the situations that were being comented on are listed. It does not really paint a pretty pictuer to me.

It is unforchent that the facts sometimes just dont come out enuff for the people to find out about them enuff to make a difference in the vote.

I read all of the "situations" on the websites listed above and they all appear to be propaganda aimed at distorting his image. The neo con agenda has been threatened due to the fact that the idiots running the show right now have pissed off this country and they know they are in danger of losing majority in the house and senate. The conservative candidates are running smear campains accross the board in almost every state. I have to laugh at Ron Saxton in Oregon (running for govenor) and his relentless smear on our current gov. Ted Kulongoski. It is all bs as is most of the conservative rhetoric these days. Any educated person can actually do a little research to determine that most (if not all) of the hate being spewed from the right is propaganda and information about the left that is presented out of context.

Back to topic - I believe this is a crucial step in developing a peaceful world. We have to accept the fact that there are people who have different views, and to ensure that everyone has a say on those views - whether they be Christian, Jewish, Muslim.... black, white.......... it doesn't matter. Considering the large number of Muslims that currently reside here in the states, I think that someone should be representing them and their ideals. I am not talking about the evil terroris propaganda that we hear everyday either, rather your every day person trying to make their way in this crazy world.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by LogansRun]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join