It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Don't You Understand About Another's Race, Ethnicity or Culture?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I know I'm going to get tagged as some kind of partisan because of this, but a) I don't care, and b) It is well-deserved:

You have voted Benevolent Heretic for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Riley, I agree with other members that most Aussies are great people. In fact, I never met one that I didn't like. Other than the fact that you talk funny, and that one of your geckos took a job away from one of ours who needs it (the GEICO Gecko).

I could tell you some stories about Australian students that I've had.....

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hey, this is good. I am very happy learning more about Austrailians. Now if we can get some other Aussies to participate and speak about their national culture, it would be simply grand.

I thank you all for participating. Let's hope for more people to come!

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What I don't understand here is why is the developing world under seige with third world imigration and the third world is not being culturally changed and racially changed.

Actually the middle east is facing cultural change and it doesn't like it.

Most people that are for multi-culturalism and immigration are expecting to profit from it in some reason and most that are against it are paying a price for it is what I have seen.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by StreetCorner Philosopher
Black people are more spiritual. More spirit and soul in them. Very humble people and purest of all humans. The asiatic black man..original man. .. it explains why they are not as logical as white people...emotions dominate their thinking. Which is a good thing...but the world has become too dangerous for this child like simplicity.

Was that a question or a statement of facts?

If it was a statement of fact that you threw out here, I would call it rather ignorant to assume that
1. Africans where the "original" people, though that is up to debate
2. Blacks are not as logical as whites
3. That blacks are, because they where the first, more spiritual then all other races.

Not saying blacks are not spiritual, I am saying it has nothing at all to do with race. I find Asians, especially Japanese, and Indians, and Indians (from India) to be far more spiritualistic. Why do you say they are more "spiritual"?

Also, even if I did agree blacks where more spiritual, why on earth is that child like in anyway? And why is it dangerous in our modern world? If anything, we need MORE spirituality..

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
The more I think about this subject, the more I find it interesting and, as with many human endeavors, filled with contradictions.

I see a strong danger of furthering of stereotypes, as mentioned by BH.

For instance:

Why are all Jews so good with money?
Why do Americans wear blue jeans all the time?
Why are Americans so infatuated with their cars?
Why are black people so good at sports?

Hmm Jews are good with money arn't they? I think it has more to do with what Jews expect, how they are raised, and sense of responsibility they are encouraged as children. Of my Jewish friends, which is limited to 3 haha, none of them are good with money at all, they did not grow up in Jewish neighborhoods and I think that has alot to do with it..

Americans wear bluejeans because they are comfortable and durable. We also find them fashionable. I have noticed though when I got to buy a good pair of blue jeans that they sell pre-stained and cut up jeans.. for more then a clean non-mutilated pair.. that is poor fashion taste right there huh!?? It is like trying to say "Hey look at me, I fix cars cause I gots oil on my jeans." when they really know jack about cars.

Americans love the automobile! We are a commuting civilization, we enjoy traveling where we go and not having to share dirty buses! The car is a symbol of status, the wealthy drive Lexus, Mercadies, Cadies, Hummers, the not so rich drive the nissans and chevys (except trucks). Cars like the Mustang, the GTO those are symbols of power, pure speed, pure freedom to go where you want. I find the car is just a way for Americans to express that they are infact Americans.

Balcks are no better at sports then any other race, except basketball!

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
CECI, I love your thread and I believe you have the best intentions, but I must admit you have been rude to Riley, sorry.
His first reply was a factual statement and a good guideline.
But hay it is your call.

Aussie's are awesome, gentleman. And that accent.

Dirty Europeans. I am still laughing, back in kinder garden throwing mud at each other.

I have traveled in most of Europe, a little North Africa and the US. I have met dirty people, stinky people, nasty people ALL over.
The people I have hung out with have been clean.
Maybe I just don't attract dirt?

Perhaps one of the reasons the Native Americans perceived "The Whites" as filthy was because of their body odor that was a result of their diet?
Granted it was common in Europe centuries ago to cover body odor with perfume.
The Inuit of Greenland could not bathe regularly, it would also have been fatal to them. Grease on the body helps it maintain it's immunity.

Many aspects contribute to our body odor, diet, intake off pesticides, hormones, fertilizer etc. in our diet. Yes and different races smell different.

I truly don't think Europeans dress up, (having fashion designers around the corner is for the very very rich )I lived there for thirty years and I think it's a matter of the "circles" one moves in. I have met people I wouldn't even take on an easy hike, nor to a fine dinner; on both sides of the "pond".
On the contrary I find, now that I have moved home, the American women to be very vain. I see lots of make up, high heels and exposure of body parts. This I have found prevalent in the lower social classes. Why?
WIS

[edit on 13-9-2006 by WalkInSilence, spelling]

[edit on 13-9-2006 by WalkInSilence]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hey, WalkinSilence, that is okay that you say so. I apologize for for that.

However, riley and myself have built a sort of animus growing over the months due to personality and a difference of opinion. It is a long story. And, right now, respectfully, I do not want to elaborate on it.

I just grew tired of responding to her. Perhaps, I will again someday. But not now to keep the peace of the thread.

Thanks for your comments. Your comments continue to shed the light on the different questions people are asking.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ceci is that a trend with you lol.. you and rili, you and flyersfan...

I for one did not think you where being rude at all, he accused you of nonesense and took the thread far to literal.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Heres something I dont understand about another culture..(getting back to the topic)

Why in certain Middle eastern nations, are women stoned to death as adulterers if they are raped??

Im not trying to take any cheap shots here, I just really cannot understand how their justice system can be so messed up that they see that as being fair..

PS. Im an aussie as well and can understand why Riley got mad - we are a very laid back and easy going people, until someone talks # about our mates/culture.

We are fiercely loyal and fair minded and the only time trouble will start is if someone insults or abuses our mates/family (and I dont mean in the playful way that us Aussies do sometime ie. "You drank my last beer? Your such a wanker")

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Rockpuck,

I give you my thanks for understanding. I appreciate your words greatly in my defense. And yes, the focus on this thread is to just get to know about other people peacefully. We can't just take it too literally. This is supposed to be an atmosphere where people can kick back and talk.

I am sorry that the thread had its share of trouble earlier today. I promise I will do my best for it not to happen so we can enjoy ourselves here.

Now back to the topic fully. I know that we all have something to share!

cheers

Ceci

Originally quoted by Ezekiel

Im an aussie as well and can understand why Riley got mad - we are a very laid back and easy going people, until someone talks # about our mates/culture.

We are fiercely loyal and fair minded and the only time trouble will start is if someone insults or abuses our mates/family (and I dont mean in the playful way that us Aussies do sometime ie. "You drank my last beer? Your such a wanker")

Ezekiel,

Thank you greatly for explaining that. Now, that is what I wanted to really know. And it was alright that you understand the situation in your own way. That's how you feel about it. I accept that.

I've learned a lot from the experience with riley, and from your words.

Take care.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ezeikiel.. It is my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong please) That in Muslim culture they are stoned to death because they must have in someway provoked the assault by being provocative in some way. It is a custom that was held onto in western culture as well until relitively recently in our history. Women in America before the turn of the century rarely got justice for rape because the judge thought they provoked it.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
Some I have liked, some not so much. Except Australians. I have never met an Australian that I did not like quite a bit.

So, Aussies... how come I like all of you guys?

Originally posted by Seagull
That's my experiance with Aussies too. I've met dozens over the years in many different social situations and I've yet to meet one I haven't liked. How strange. Maybe I have a genetic predisposition to like Austrailians? Or maybe, just maybe, Austrailians totally rock!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!

Oi! Oi! Oi!
[Sorry.. it's a twitch I have]

Orginally posted by spacedoubt
Aussies,

What a great subtopic.
First of all, I met quite a number of Aussies, over the last couple of weeks.
Open, full of humour, great to talk to.
I also met an actor/director from New Zealand. A kiwi (is that derogatory? kiwi?)

It's kind of like 'bloody pom'.

Anyway
For any Aussies here, what kind of regional relationship is there between New Zealanders, and Austrailians? Is it somewhat competitive?

Competitive yes. I think it's like sybling rivalry.. we don't even need passports to go from here to there. They used to be able to get Social security here is well but I'm not sure if that still stands.

I had a hard time distinguishing the two accents.

Aussie: "Fish and chips."
Kiwi: "Fush and chups."
Canadian and US accents sound the same to me as well. I've always wondered what creates and influences accents.

Would it have been insulting for me to call an Aussie, a Kiwi? Or Vice Versa?

Yes.. but you can still try it.

Originaly posted by jsobecky
Riley, I agree with other members that most Aussies are great people. In fact, I never met one that I didn't like.

Thankyou. We like you too.

Other than the fact that you talk funny,

I admit when we get yankie tourists there is a novelty factor so we might try make them talk.. like when we ask Kiwis to say fish and chips.

and that one of your geckos took a job away from one of ours who needs it (the GEICO Gecko).

I had to google that one I'm afraid. Is Geico an insurence company?

originally posted by WalkInSilence
His first reply was a factual statement and a good guideline.
But hay it is your call.

Aussie's are awesome, gentleman. And that accent.

Thankyou [though I'm a lady [sometimes
]]. I still stand by my opinion that the terms 'white' and 'black' are too simplistic to be used in discussions about differing races and cultures.

Originally posted by Ezekiel
Heres something I dont understand about another culture..(getting back to the topic)

Why in certain Middle eastern nations, are women stoned to death as adulterers if they are raped??

[Adding to Rockpuck's points] To restore 'family honour'. I've heared many theories but I think rape is sometimes used as vengence against fathers/brothers. I heared a case where a girl had sulfuric acid poured onto her to her worthless for marriage. Her father had refused a proposal so she was 'punnished'. It's truly sickening. Of course this is not reflective of their entire culture. All cultures have extreams.

Im not trying to take any cheap shots here, I just really cannot understand how their justice system can be so messed up that they see that as being fair..

I think it has to do with alot of 'clan' politics. Most Muslims would not subscribe to this and apparently there is a Islamic feminist movement that is re-interpiting the Koran. Many of what the more extream 'laws' aren't even taken from the Koran and are taken from tribal traditions [ex. cliterus removal]. The burka apparently comes from 'cover your modesty'- clothes might qualify but covering the hair has become more of a statement of belief IMO.

PS. Im an aussie as well and can understand why Riley got mad - we are a very laid back and easy going people, until someone talks # about our mates/culture.

You're right.. that is part of our philosophy. 'Fight for the underdog.' [main one] 'A fair go', tall poppy syndrome and worshipping Ned Kelly? We must have mutiny is in our blood.

"They did what?? I'll get the cricket bat.."

[edit on 14-9-2006 by riley]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Riley, you have got to make an effort to post more often. Your posts are a delight to read - you are so cheerful and optimistic!

PS: Yes, the Geico Gecko is an insurance mascot with an Australian accent. Why a lizard to represent insurance, I have no idea.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Ezeikiel.. It is my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong please) That in Muslim culture they are stoned to death because they must have in someway provoked the assault by being provocative in some way. It is a custom that was held onto in western culture as well until relitively recently in our history. Women in America before the turn of the century rarely got justice for rape because the judge thought they provoked it.

Wow I was unaware that the same problem existed in Western culture so recently.

Still, I cant understand how they would say "well, you provoked it you deserve it".

No one deserves to be raped no matter what provocation the rapist feels he had and any culture that accepts that is just unbelievable.

EDIT: woops - just re-read it and it sounds like I'm having a go at you Rockpuck, which I wasnt!
Sorry!

[edit on 14-9-2006 by Ezekiel]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Riley, you have got to make an effort to post more often. Your posts are a delight to read - you are so cheerful and optimistic!

PS: Yes, the Geico Gecko is an insurance mascot with an Australian accent. Why a lizard to represent insurance, I have no idea.

Ugh, not to split hairs, but the Geico Gecko has an English Cockney accent.

Anyway, as far as Aussies go, what's not to like about 'em? 1)They have Aussie Rules Football which knocks Fake-Injury-Turf-Diving into a cocked hat. 2) They have the coolest, goofiest nick-names for things. 3)They gave us Steve Irwin R.I.P 4)They could teach the rest of the world how to just mellow the hell out for a little while. 5)The women are sexy!

Now for my question: To what extent were the Aboriginal tribes displaced as the country grew?

[edit on 06/15/9 by Katolu]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I am so gratified that we were able to learn more about Austrailians so far. It's been rather fascinating and delightful we were able to have Austrailians speak about their country.

Originally quoted by Katolu
Now for my question: To what extent were the Aboriginal tribes displaced as the country grew?

Thank you Katolu for asking that question. That is something I always wanted to know about as well. After all, I have always been fascinated with not only how the Aboriginal tribes people were treated in Austrailia; I also wanted to know how the Maoris were treated in New Zealand.

It would be especially interesting if someone who was from each group would speak on this issue. Or if someone who intimately knew about the groups in question would give their take on this matter. We have an international board here with a lot of members. So, please do tell stories to enlighten us both about the Aboriginal tribes and the Maoris. I would especially like to know about the cultures of each.

I also would hope that someone could give a little history about the colonialism process of each country and how each group fared under it.

I hope that this wasn't too simplistic for anyone.

And yes, I also thought that the Geico Gecko spoke English Cockney. Anyone British care to settle this matter?

[edit on 15-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katolu
Ugh, not to split hairs, but the Geico Gecko has an English Cockney accent.

Well, Katolu, I think you're right on this one:

The Gecko's Accent
A lot of people are writing to me asking, "What's up with your accent?" Some people say I sound like an Aussie from "down under." (After all, geckos are found all over the world.) Others say it sounds like an East End London, or Cockney, accent. Cockneys are considered working-class inhabitants of London. According to tradition, the strict definition is limited to those born within earshot of the bells of St. Mary-le-Bow, a historic church in the City of London. I think I'd agree that my voice does sound a bit like an East End London accent.

Some of you write to ask why I have an accent. Others want to know why it is that accent. I dunno; I guess everybody has to sound like something. It would certainly be hard to get the word out about GEICO making the "clicking" sound many geckos make. Isn't it enough that you know a talking gecko, especially one who can help you save on car insurance?

Despite (or maybe because of) the controversy, I seem to be making a lasting impression. As for me, I'm not concerned with geography or nationality. I'll just continue to "accent" the savings with GEICO!

www.geico.com...

I thought geckos lived in warm climes, thus the Aussie accent. He may be an immigrant from Australia, though. Legal immigrant, I'm sure.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well good. That's settled. Now we can get back to learning about the Aboriginal tribes and the Maoris in their respective lands.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I want to talk about being loud. that's right...loud.

Its always been the case that people think Hispanics are loud and all talk at the same time. That is a myth.

When you hear others speak another language, its magnified many times because you do not understand it, therefore it appears loud.

When i listen to the Chinese speak, its loud and aggravating, but i realize that its the sounds i do not understand that go against my grain and makes my hair stand on edge.
Also, latins language is sharper...it doesnt have the flow of say, English, French...etc.

So, if anyone thinks that latins are loud, remember that it is the language itself and not a bunch of people screaming (although that happens too).

This is my 2 cents for today.

One more thing- I still havent figured out why the Vietnamese do not need to breath to talk and they talk nonstop...can anyone explain this to me?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
OOoo oo I have another one.

This one is to those whities out there. I can't answer it my self so il ask some of you all for an answer..

Why is it out of all the kids of all the races and it doesn't matter what the income, where the city is, what the social ranking is.. why are white kids so damn messed up?? They are friggin wierd, some of them have more mental issues, more sensitivities then what a full grown adult would experience in their entire life time.

Is it a culture of feel sorry for your self, the whole world is out to get me attitude, some of the kids that come on here claiming to be the antichrist or to be aliens, you can tell they are messed up white kids.

Any clue?

First: VERY misleading, lol. All generalization:

Second: "Whites" covers a lot of people, and we long-time American whites can't understand recent white immigrants at all. They are often more strange than the blacks and other ethnicities we grew up with. I can't understand the Scots when they come down: every other word is "F***in' Bloody...*, so how would I understand the culture (and I'm a Calder, so I should be like a Smith to them.)

Third: We live in a community where both parents work, or they are non existant. While blacks may be arguing about the father figure being gone, they still have their mothers. There's often a lot of disrepsect for parental role figures allowed in white homes. Latchkey kids are a little displaced from their parents, unless theur parents fithe to be a part of their life.

Fourth: It's called trends. Most grow out of it.

Fifth: have you ever seen a child who goes hunting try to talk with a kid whose parents keep him so locked up he's pale and weak?

Sixth: video games. think, a lot of these kids social interaction comes from blowing people up and both parties laughing about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join