It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Embassy in Syria Attacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Gunmen tried to storm the U.S. Embassy in Damascus early today. According to reports no Americans were hurt and the attackers were unable to storm the walls. The attackers were fought off by Syrian anti-terrorism forces. According to reports one was killed and eleven were wounded.

news.yahoo.com
Gunmen try to take U.S. Embassy in Syria

By ALBERT AJI, Associated Press Writer

DAMASCUS, Syria - Islamic militants attempted to storm the U.S. Embassy in Damascus on Tuesday using automatic rifles, hand grenades and at least one van rigged with explosives, the government said. Four people were killed in the brazen attack, including three of the assailants.

No Americans were hurt, and the attackers apparently did not breach the high walls surrounding the embassy's white compound in the city's diplomatic neighborhood.

But one of
Syria's anti-terrorism forces was killed and at least 11 others were injured, the country's official news agency reported. The wounded including a police officer, two Iraqis and seven people employed at nearby technical workshop.

A Chinese diplomat also was hit in the face by shrapnel and slightly injured while standing on top of a garage at the Chinese Embassy, China's government news agency said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

SIGH!!! With the neo-cons howling for Syrian blood, this could not have come at a worse time. It really makes me wonder who was behind it...Islamic and/or Syrian extremists or CIA operatives? On the good side no one at the embassy was hurt and it was Syrian forces that fought them off. One more invasion by the U.S. in the middle east would not be good... it would be foolhardy...not dumbass stupid of us to do it again and it would tear the whole region apart.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 12-9-2006 by grover]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And so it begins...again. After the new video tape by Al Zawahri and the release of the 9/11 planning vid by UBL it was expected that we would start to see stuff like this. Whats next?Truck bombs parked out side the embassy gates?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Interesting timing coming a day after 9/11 anniversary.And i agree we probably will be seeing more of these assaults unfortunatly.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Oh comon really? I do not even understand why these guys even try. All around the world people have tried to storm our Embassies and they always get rebuffed. Don't they know Embassy security is just too bad ass? The only way to do aything to our embassies is by bombing them like Al-Qaeda has unfortunately done in Africa a few times. But trying to break in forcefully? Please... they got a better chance of winning the lotto, and then getting in a car crash after being struck by lightning.

[edit on 9/12/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Oh comon really? I do not even understand why these guys even try. All around the world people have tried to storm our Embassies and they always get rebuffed. Don't they know Embassy security is just too bad ass? The only way to do aything to our embassies is by bombing them like Al-Qaeda has unfortunately done in Africa a few times. But trying to break in forcefully? Please... they got a better chance of winning the lotto, and then getting in a car crash after being struck by lightning.

[edit on 9/12/2006 by DYepes]

Yeah, so "bad ass" that it was fought off by the Syrians. Learn to read.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Forgive me, oh insulting one! Of course I made a simple gramatical error, since I already knew most Embassies are gaurded on the outside by the local forces, because technically the nation only has jurisdiction on the land physically within their walls. Whether it be thirty Syrians, Israeli, Iraqi, Turkish or Colombian gaurds, they are securing our compound. Therefore it is embassy security, which is BADASS! Three fourth of the attackers did not make it. Sounds good to me.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Yeah, so "bad ass" that it was fought off by the Syrians. Learn to read.

DYepes said it right. The compound and outer walls are guarded by local guard forces (local hires/US paid) along with host nation police/military. The interior of the actual diplomatic building is guarded by US Marines. So I guess that any and all security measures used to protect the Embassy (no matter who's payroll they're on) would be considered "Embassy Security", which is managed and overseen by Americans.

[edit on 12/9/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yes. Syria.

So Syrian guards fought off an attack on the US embassy.

And heres me thinking from what I read on ATS - usually posted by right wing fanatics I in WOT and Pro-Israel/Anti Arab threads - that all Syrians are bloodthirsty terrorist sympathisers who want nothing more that the total destruction of the US and Israel. (Theyre shipping arms to Hezbollah you know)

And yet one of the Syrian guards actually gave his live to protect the embassy.

Weird huh?

I assume the US will honour him as a hero?

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Maybe he gave his life to stop bloodthirsty, gun waving fanatics from killing any people, people like his fellow countrymen.

Weird huh?

No, happens all the time. Someone starts a shooting spree and someone moves in to stop them from killing innocent people.

Why wouldn't he a hero? He gave his life to stop a deranged lunatic from taking innocent lives.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Originally posted by neformore

Maybe he gave his life to stop bloodthirsty, gun waving fanatics from killing any people, people like his fellow countrymen.

Weird huh?

No, happens all the time. Someone starts a shooting spree and someone moves in to stop them from killing innocent people.

Why wouldn't he a hero? He gave his life to stop a deranged lunatic from taking innocent lives.

But Sporty - Syrians are all bloodthirsty terrorist supporting maniacs aren't they?! He should have opened the gates and let the bad guys right through surely!

[Theres some sarcasm being used here, please think about it]

[edit on 12-9-2006 by neformore]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This happen in Syria? You mean The Syrian, Hezbollah, Iranian sympathizers link to terrorism and Al-qaida?

Well it seems that while US has declared Syria part of the axis of evil it looks to me that US has not problem having diplomats in that country.

Funny that one of the Syiran anti-terrorism forces died to keep the Americans safe.

It is me but something here doesn’t quite fit in. I thought They were all terrorist

Syria, US embassy, Syrian anti- terrorist forces, humm, so what do you think.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well it seems that while US has declared Syria part of the axis of evil it looks to me that US has not problem having diplomats in that country.

The US has diplomats is almost every country that allows them to be there, Iraq, Cuba, Congo. Why should Syria be any different?

Funny that one of the Syiran anti-terrorism forces died to keep the Americans safe.

You obviously missed my last most. There are far more locals that work at an embassy than Americans, and the streets are crowded with innocent bystanders. . I'm sure in his own mind, he didn't die for America, Americans, the embassy, etc... He died to stop a fanatic wacko from killing bystanders, street-goers, innocent people. And for that, I salute him.

It is me but something here doesn’t quite fit in. I thought They were all terrorist

There's a point where you have to stop letting your hatred for the current administration and bush cloud your judgement in everything you read. Not everything is a conspiracy, some things just happen. Just be thankful there was a contingency there to stop the threat.

Why was a contingecy already there?

Syria, US embassy, Syrian anti- terrorist forces, humm, so what do you think.

No, it's not like they knew it was going to happen and had a pre-staged force in place to counter the "planned attack"

Governments are responsible for protecting the outer perimeters of ALL foreign diplomatic post within their borders, not only US embassies. Go to D.C. and take a look at Embassy Row, there are US guards guarding the outside of Embassies. It's like that for every country, not just the US.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
SportyMB

Your post was very nice . . . up until the targeting of Bushes hate-ism
That is a word of my own.

No I don't hate Bush but I do hate Bush-ism.:Lil:

Now back to the thread, funny that you forgot to say Iran. So we have embassies in any other country but Iran.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Now back to the thread, funny that you forgot to say Iran. So we have embassies in any other country but Iran.

After what they did in 1979, its understandable not to have an embassy there.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

No I don't hate Bush but I do hate Bush-ism.:Lil:

Same here. And my apologies for bringing 'Bush' into this discussion

funny that you forgot to say Iran. So we have embassies in any other country but Iran.

What does Iran have to do with this? I didn't forget to say Iran, I had no reason to say Iran.

Quote by me, SportyMB:

The US has diplomats is almost every country that allows them to be there....

Iran does not allow the US to have any post there, so they're not there. There's also no embassy in North Korea. What's your point? Do you want me to list every country that does not have a U.S. embassy or consulate?

I agree with what the Syrian Ambassador to the U.S. said. This attack probably was a result of US foreign policy in the middle east. But That is still NOT an excuse or a reason for Isamic terrorist (or any other radical) to go around killing innocent people and bombing US embassies.

The only thing they achieved by this attack is killing one officer (non-American) and wounding many others.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Iran does not allow the US to have any post there, so they're not there. There's also no embassy in North Korea. What's your point? Do you want me to list every country that does not have a U.S. embassy or consulate?

No, no really you don't have to bring a listing but I was not aware that It was Iran the one that didn't wanted US embassy in its country

But going back to the topic I wonder if the ones that did the deed were indeed Islamic militants and not directly link to hezbollah.

And don't be surprised about the way this groups operates it seems that where is US involvement or presence in the middle east it seems to brings the worst of many of these groups.

new topics

top topics

join