It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetation limitations on Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostITM
Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubbles guys, but the chances of plant life of any type being on Mars at present are zero. It wouldn't survive.

Well why then do we observe seasonal changes ( on a supposedly geological inactive
planet) and growths that look like trees look on Earth?

For one thing, the atmosphere is too thin.....the partial pressure of CO2 in its atmosphere isn't high enough for plants to utilise. Secondly, the UV light which reaches Mars' surfaces is that intense it'd kill the plants immediately.

Once again observation should trump what the science data as presented by a agency that we can prove lies and actively tries to deceive others.

Last, but not least, the soils on Mars are highly oxidating (they're mostly iron superoxides) and that would kill the plants by destroying their roots.

Much talked about but not confirmed by the Mars or viking rover experiments. If they do exist it would just be proportionally harder to explain the Methane that would otherwise probably break down much much faster.

As for the methane they've detected, it could be from bacteria buried under the surface of the soils or in cracks in the rocks.

Which is still life last i checked.

Then again, it could be from the breakdown of non biogenic sources of gases such as propane, ethane and carbon dioxide that would be effected by the oxidation in the soils and the UV light.

Which might contribute but if GR holds true ( as here, elsewhere) that's not what we would expect on Earth based on experiences on this planet. Methane is a by product of life on the whole and if you do not like that 'fact' you will have to consider the abiotic origin of oil and natural gas as the only current not so obvious ( according to our current sciences) alternative. I obviously think oil and such comes from abiotic sources but when scientific 'consensus' suits me i am not always going to tell everyone that i actually consider the alternative ( that might invalidate one lines of reasoning of a current argument) far more likely.

Stellar

[edit on 17-11-2006 by StellarX]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Or it could be natural gas pockets that are venting into the atmosphere.

What do you think natural gas is?

<< 1   >>

join