It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally.... a Reporter who stands up to the Administration

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The link is to the video and below is the transcript for those of you who have dial-up.
Commentary at end of post.....

Olberman delivers an amazing speech
The transcript of Keith’s comments tonight is available below the fold.
The man who sees absolutes, where all other men see nuances and shades of meaning, is either a prophet, or a quack. Donald S. Rumsfeld is not a prophet.

I just had to post this speech in its entirety because I know some people won't or can't click the link... This is the first time in my opinion that a MSM reporter/journalist has actually stood up to this administration. Keith Olbermann is a well known and respecter reporter... This speech really just took my breath away.... maybe we aren't as screwed as I thought... I most definitely did not expect to here this amazing diatribe when I turned Keith on tonight.... words cannot describe how well thought out and powerful this speech was... Amazing is all I can say.... finally some truth in the MSM instead of nauseating "truthiness" and "wikiality".... If you can watch it... watch it... you won't be disappointed... I actually for the first time in a long time feel like this country might actually make i

[edit on 30-8-2006 by Elsenorpompom]
[edited to reduce the amount of quoted material -nygdan]

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Nygdan]

[edit on 12-9-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Bump... cause this is important... in the last six years we have had precious few reporters and journalists who were willing to go the distance and say the things that needed to be said.. Olberman has done just that..........

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Sorry, but im not that impressed with Kieth here.
Yeah, he makes some good points, but he has to make some good points from time to time, just to keep his job. (Just like politicians)
Beyond that his couple of good points, he says 'This is a democracy', when even the most cursory of examinations will show you that we live in a Republic.
Im amazed at how many people claim we live in democracy, and Im even more amazed at how few understand what makes a TRUE republic so precious.
You remember dont you....I pledge allegience to the flag, of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA, and to the REPUBLIC, the REPUBLIC for which it stands.........

If you or anyone else reading this thinks we live in a Democracy, they need to check out atleast the first in this series here about the Constitution.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-8-2006 by 11Bravo]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I saw the video this morning and never have i been so impressed.

Someone with guts and courage stands to the administration. its about time.

I loved it!!!

It's about time some one had the you know whats to tell it like it IS.

I notice this type of thread never gets many responses. Why? Is it that the right is afraid he is correct and cannot debate it???

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
IM not sure Dg... but it was a wonderful speech... i watched it numerous times... Thanks for stopping by the see it, hopefully in the not to distant future there will be social pressure on Media Networks to have more News Anchors who are willing to "stick it to the man" when need be.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
11Bravo,

He deserves at much credit as possible because although it's not "selfish" for him to be looking out for his job, he went out and downright hard core criticized Rumsfield and the Bush administration, so he deserves lots of credit.

He did what he needed to do

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The news media, just like any business, is in it to make money. The more people that tune in the more advertising dollars they get.

So, as public opposition to the war increases and their voices get louder, the more you will hear stories like this from the media. Up until now, I believe, there hasn't been much opposition... Of course we need to get Sadaam and get rid of his WMD's.

But now, people are starting to wake up to the fact that we've been lied to and people are questioning why we are there. Two thirds of Americans are now opposed to the war but still there really hasn't been much in the way of public protests, huge rallies, etc... not yet.

So I applaud Olberman for taking this step but I also think it is just the media starting to come around to the fact that the public doesn't agree with the administration.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Funny, but I thought it fell to these people to report The News.

new information about specific and timely events; "they awaited news of the outcome"

new information of any kind; "it was news to me"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Source.

Not to make up our minds for us as well.

The fact that you act as cheerleaders for people who has taken it upon themselves to think for you is a sad indication of how far we have fallen.

[edit on 1/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
For them to think for us... what? Did I miss something? Where do you get that? Please explain further.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The reporter needs to go and read history properly.

Chamberlain knew that Nazi Germany posed a threat. The British Government knew that Nazi Germany posed a threat. Thats why the procurement programmes were put into place for the Spitfire, Hurricane, Manchester, Wellington and Lancaster. Thats why the British Army came up with a plan to thwart an invasion, and why virtually the whole of the east coast of the UK became fortified. Its why radar was developed so secretly.

Or does the reporter think that all those things happened in 1940 as soon as Chamberlain resigned?

Chamberlain hoped for peace. He was an honourable man scarred by the events of the first world war and hoped never to see such a thing happened again, and maybe he was slightly over-hopeful of peace, but he was no mug and he saw what was coming as well as everyone else did.

The reporter has dumped all over actual history to make a point. I don't like seeing my countries history bastardised, not least by an american reporter with an agenda.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by neformore]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
The news media, just like any business, is in it to make money. The more people that tune in the more advertising dollars they get.

So, as public opposition to the war increases and their voices get louder, the more you will hear stories like this from the media.

THats it to a tee. Where was old keithy last year? or two years ago?
As more and more people wake up to the massive lies we have been spoon fed, the mass media will be forced to have more segments like this or risk losing what little remaining cred they have, and even a little cred is better than no cred.

Why has nobody commented on the fact that he called our Republic a Democracy?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hahaha it's better than no coverage, huh?

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Bravo for the love of everything sacred and holy drop the Democratic republic thing.... we live in neither a true democracy nor a true republic... so while his exact statement was not entirely accurate your high and mighty bashing of him because he described this country in a way that you don't agree is highly agitating. Yes he wasn't here two years ago saying things like this... but for those of you like myself who have been watching Keith since his show first started 2.5 years ago know that he has NEVER been an apologist... he has always had a slightly anti-government point of view.... this is most especially visible in his closing statement... which since the beginning of his show has been the total number of days since "mission accomplished" in Iraq. So please... unless you are going to actually comment on what he said.... keep your unrelated opinions to yourself... or start another thread. While I am in no way attempting to stifle dissent... I am not going to let my thread be hijacked by the likes of you. ATS has been infested with this kind of off topic ... or pick a small insignificant part of the topic and blow it out of proportion. This thread is supposed to be about an American Journalist finally standing up to the current ruling regime. Not to mention I haven't seen not one person mention Rumsfeld and his "morally or intellectually" confused speech.

Nefor im sorry that you don't agree with Keiths observation of Chamberlain... but from my perspective hes dead on... but than again I blame Britain and the West for both major World Wars... so im inherently biased.

thanks to those of you who stopped by and actually commented....

[edit on 2-9-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted by 11Bravo
he says 'This is a democracy', when even the most cursory of examinations will show you that we live in a Republic.

A republic that has been in trouble for a quite some time and in danger of dying.

Im amazed at how many people claim we live in democracy, and Im even more amazed at how few understand what makes a TRUE republic so precious.

Perhaps people tend to voice what our own elected officals tells us all the time,that "We are a Democracy and that is what we are suppousely spreading over the world." or at least trying in the middle east.

BTW the only flag I see people saluting is actualy the only US american flag even after the pleadge of the legion.

If you or anyone else reading this thinks we live in a Democracy, they need to check out atleast the first in this series here about the Constitution.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think Bush should be the one to check the constitution once in a while but we know that he is not very fond if it.

Yes this the second best words spoken or written lately that I have read, even if we all know that is for propaganda reasons due to elections around the corner, if people were to do this all year around the mentality of many will actualy change.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

For them to think for us... what? Did I miss something? Where do you get that? Please explain further.

I just feel that it is these reporter job to report the news. That's all. No slant, no bias. Objective reporting please. We are big boys and girls, we should be allowed to make up our own minds, without these talking heads making our minds up for us.

Objectivity is frequently held to be essential to journalistic professionalism (particularly in the United States);

Source.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

I just feel that it is these reporter job to report the news. That's all. No slant, no bias. Objective reporting please. We are big boys and girls, we should be allowed to make up our own minds, without these talking heads making our minds up for us.

Objectivity is frequently held to be essential to journalistic professionalism (particularly in the United States);

Source.

I think it's more a case of Olberman stated what so many of us have already come to know for ourselves. It rings a cord with us. It isn't that we hear something and then believe whatever we hear.
I have never watched Mr. Olberman, though I will now! Is he an editorialist or a news reporter? If he's an editorialist, well then, stating his opinion is what his job is.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Its a pity when we are all pleasantly surprised that a newscaster tells us the truth.

Whats wrong with this picture?

We get excited that we are told the TRUTH!!!!!

How pathetic!!!

We should expect the truth and nothing but the truth.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

The truth and bias are not mutually exclusive concepts, I'm all for truth, I wish they would drop the bias.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
there are alot of reporters stand up to the add. oberman is so left its crazy he thinks hes so cool with his put downs of the pres...reminds of rush limbaugh in the 90s its boring

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Originally posted by dgtempe

The truth and bias are not mutually exclusive concepts, I'm all for truth, I wish they would drop the bias.

Well, at least he clothed it as commentary, what I am getting sick of it that reporters do not distinguish the difference and include it in every story that they cover...

Even Walter Cronkite included commentary in his reporting, but it was OBVIOUS, with most of the networks today the bias is subtle and usually not even noticed by anyone not specifically looking for it.

Network news today, and the 24/7 news cycle has turned these outlets into entertainment propaganda machines, and not actual news stations.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by SkittlesLA]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join