It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Nagin delivers cheap shot at NYC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

And the ppl that voted for bush twice...... get what they deserve also.

Agreed! Nagin and Bush are both complete and utter morons who have their noses so far jammed up big businesses rear ends that they can't see the light of day. That HBO documentary was very well done, and i can't stand Spike Lee. I walked away with the feeling that Nagin was so scared of offending the business leaders in NO that he was basically impotent until it was too late. He's a classic example of a politician bought and paid for, just like our wonderful president. I encourage all to watch the HBO film about this debacle.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Um ... the talking heads this week have all said that New Orleans levees can't take a category three 'cane. I don't understand why they keep insisting on rebuilding a city below sea level; in a bowl; in hurricane territory; and especially with inadequate levees.

Were they talking about the new ones? Because they looked sturdy enough. The old ones were made of dirt and could hold back 12 or 13 feet of flood water. These were concrete, and were built to hold back 20 ft of water.

But what do I know? I'm no civil engineer...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Just to clarify on this for you, from what I can see. His peers tend to be those that share his political power and go along with his political slant.

Well, that is why the people's power comes into effect, leaders are elected and we the people hold the power to their terms.

Many forget that is applies to all from the top to the bottom.

Now as for the city, I believe that taking into consideration that is a city that should not have been in an area of a delta, well . . . you pretty much can predict that mother nature will reclaim its hold and will do it over and over and over.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
a city that should not have been in an area of a delta ...

Built below sea level .... built in a bowl ... built next to the sea ... built in hurricane waters .... so WHY are we spending money to rebuild it? It's just going to get hit again. If they are going to rebuild then they need a levee system like they have over in Norway/Sweeden/Denmark. The systems there can hold ... what is in New Orleans now can not.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
First, I don't think it was a cheap shot at all. The only "cheap shot" is the title of this thread trying to capitalize...but I digress.

Originally posted by jsobecky
While on a tour of New Orleans' Ninth Ward, CBS news commentator Byron Pitts pointed out flood-damaged cars and a house partially washed into the street, a year after the the devastating hurricane hit the US, Nagin quipped "That’s alright. You guys in New York can’t get a hole in the ground fixed and it’s five years later. So let’s be fair."

Is it that difficult to see that if NYC takes 5-years to clean up the area of the WTC, then of course its going to take longer then a year to clean a city? It seems to be a pretty honest and even bold statement on his part.

What an idiot. To compare an act of God with an act of war is ridiculous. All it takes is to round up and dispatch enough equipment and clean up the streets. A year should be more than enough time to do that, except for someone as inompetent as Nagin.

Now, I'm not a Nagin fan. Not in the least, but the clean-up on that scale is simply not something an armchair Mayor could fully understand...let alone guess the appropriate amount of time required to clean it. These days everyone watching tv can throw a better pass, run a better country, and now even clean a city that had a vast portion destroyed.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
First, I don't think it was a cheap shot at all. The only "cheap shot" is the title of this thread trying to capitalize...but I digress.

Uh-huh. Thank you for your input. What might I be capitalizing on?

I stand by my statements that Ray Nagin is an incompetent. His actions before, during, and after Katrina prove me out. His deflection of his failures onto NYC are the mark of a loser. Even his police force deserted him.

Is it that difficult to see that if NYC takes 5-years to clean up the area of the WTC, then of course its going to take longer then a year to clean a city? It seems to be a pretty honest and even bold statement on his part.

I've seen a half-dozen tow trucks clear out an entire city block of vehicles in less than an hour.

Now, I'm not a Nagin fan. Not in the least, but the clean-up on that scale is simply not something an armchair Mayor could fully understand...let alone guess the appropriate amount of time required to clean it.

These "armchair mayors" include more than me, sir. The same sentiment is being echoed across America. And, by people in NOLA.

Look next door to Mississippi for an example of good leadership.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
These "armchair mayors" include more than me, sir. The same sentiment is being echoed across America. And, by people in NOLA.

Look next door to Mississippi for an example of good leadership.

You don't have to "sir" me, I work for a living.

My comment had nothing to do with leadership. It had to do with the "cheap shot at NYC" that started this thread and I said so in my post. In fact I don't think I even mentioned the words leadership or competence (or the lack thereof). I even said I thought the title was sensationalized and I guess I was right considering you glossed right over what I said, to start in on Nagin's incompetent skills.

On that front you won't get an arguement from me, however...I was addressing the "cheap shot" that really isn't after all. Is NYC still cleaning the WTC area? Yes. Is clean-up still continuing in NOLA? Yes. He was stating that the apparent expectations for NOLA to be all clean and rebuilt again in a single year is unfair by comparison.

Fairly simple. Of course fairly simple doesn't sell threads.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
My comment had nothing to do with leadership. It had to do with the "cheap shot at NYC" that started this thread and I said so in my post. In fact I don't think I even mentioned the words leadership or competence (or the lack thereof). I even said I thought the title was sensationalized and I guess I was right considering you glossed right over what I said, to start in on Nagin's incompetent skills.

I don't believe I glossed over anything. I ever asked what I might be looking to "capitalize" on.

I believe that referring to the site of the tragedy of 9/11 as "a hole in the ground" was callous, and a cheap shot at the efforts of all those who have labored at the site. You think it is an honest and bold statement. Different strokes.

He was stating that the apparent expectations for NOLA to be all clean and rebuilt again in a single year is unfair by comparison.

Nobody is expecting to see NOLA all clean and rebuilt after a year. But clearing the streets, which was the catalyst for Pitt's comments and my thread, should be a priority, for a variety of reasons.

Fairly simple. Of course fairly simple doesn't sell threads.

And that is supposed to mean....what?

Btw, I realize that your duties preclude you from posting a lot (or maybe it's your inclination, I don't know). So I'm surprised that you decided to stop in on one of my threads and criticize the title. Can I ask - what led you here?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join