It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Nagin delivers cheap shot at NYC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin created controversy with statements such as his wish to make NO a "chocolate city". and now he's done it again. While on a tour of New Orleans' Ninth Ward, CBS news commentator Byron Pitts pointed out flood-damaged cars and a house partially washed into the street, a year after the the devastating hurricane hit the US, Nagin quipped "That’s alright. You guys in New York can’t get a hole in the ground fixed and it’s five years later. So let’s be fair."

What an idiot. To compare an act of God with an act of war is ridiculous. All it takes is to round up and dispatch enough equipment and clean up the streets. A year should be more than enough time to do that, except for someone as inompetent as Nagin. After all, this is the guy that stranded thousands of NOLA residents while school buses sat nearby, unmanned.

The fact that he was re-elected is beyond belief. But, then again, Washington, DC re-elected Marion "Da bitch done set me up" Barry after he had served prison time for drug charges.

The people that voted for Nagin deserve what they get. If they don't mind living among filthy streets, then let them have him.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Js I saw the article and I thing he was taken out of content for media agenda.

I can not find anything wrong with what he said, I took it as a way to express an example of time.

Any way I call the hurricane an act of nature rather than God, because that may sound like God punished NO for something.

See Js anybody can make something out of somebodies words.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think the media is taking this comment out of perspective as well. Nagin is frustrated that New Orleans officials are taking heat over the recovery process while NYC is applauded for their efforts. New Orleans is trying to rebuild a full city, while NYC had to rebuild a block. I actually see where he is coming from and agree, they are trying to rebuild a complete city while NYC had to repair a block.

Everyone is always sensitive when talking of 9/11, so for someone to come out like this will open themself up to criticism but you have to admit he has a point. Who is to blame has nothing to do with this, the fact is what New Orleans is trying to repair is not even compaired to NYC.

New Orleans is not seeing the patience that was granted to the NYC officials.

However, I deffinately think he should NOT have referred to it as a whole in the ground. That was wrong, he could have used some different english on that one.

[edit on 25-8-2006 by chissler]

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Js I saw the article and I thing he was taken out of content for media agenda.

There is only one context that he meant, marg, and that was to deflect criticism away from his own incompetence onto someone, anyone, else. He has already blamed the federal gov't and the media; who's left?

Any way I call the hurricane an act of nature rather than God, because that may sound like God punished NO for something.

God is nature. And he does not punish one group for anything. He is an equal opportunity deity.

See Js anybody can make something out of somebodies words.

Yes. All you have to do is close your eyes to reality.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I think the media is taking this comment out of perspective as well. Nagin is frustrated that New Orleans officials are taking heat over the recovery process while NYC is applauded for their efforts. New Orleans is trying to rebuild a full city, while NYC had to rebuild a block. I actually see where he is coming from and agree, they are trying to rebuild a complete city while NYC had to repair a block.

Everyone is always sensitive when talking of 9/11, so for someone to come out like this will open themself up to criticism but you have to admit he has a point. Who is to blame has nothing to do with this, the fact is what New Orleans is trying to repair is not even compaired to NYC.

Forget the "hole in the ground" comment. That was just another stupid comment from a fool, imo.

I don't see his point. Nobody is expecting that all homes and office buildings be rebuilt at this point in time. But one year is plenty of time to clean up the streets of flood damaged cars and houses scattered across the street.

The situation is one that is unhealthy and life-threatening, and the next hurricane season is already here. What is he waiting for? Get some bulldozers and dump trucks and get the job done! It doesn't need day-to-day management, or a sophisticated project plan. Put some of the unemployed people to work... you know, the ones he cares so much about.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Forget the "hole in the ground" comment. That was just another stupid comment from a fool, imo.

That was one of the first times I had agreed with him. Maybe not the best choice of words calling it a hole it the ground, but oh well, nobody is perfect, and it's getting tiresome to have other people tell us what to do. Why don't you run to Homestead, FL and ask the people there that are still recovering from Andrew?

I don't see his point. Nobody is expecting that all homes and office buildings be rebuilt at this point in time. But one year is plenty of time to clean up the streets of flood damaged cars and houses scattered across the street.

Ok, so what, Jso? Is he supposed to hypnotize them by shining his shiny head at the workers as payment for their work? He just got a yearly salary increase for the Fire Dept. and a 10% increase for what little police force we have. That's more important if you ask me.

The situation is one that is unhealthy and life-threatening, and the next hurricane season is already here.

Hardly life-threatening, Jso. I think we're well aware here about the hurricane season.

What is he waiting for? Get some bulldozers and dump trucks and get the job done!

Armchair mayors that haven't been elected should go back to flipping TV stations or help out.

It doesn't need day-to-day management, or a sophisticated project plan. Put some of the unemployed people to work... you know, the ones he cares so much about.

You're very bitter. Those "unemployed" people don't live here. Is he supposed to extradite them back to Louisiana? Are there laws for this?

New Orleans is a large city as far as land goes, there's a lot. This is the one plan he has had that makes sense. Priorities. Clearing the 4700 block of Royal Street that was under 10 feet of water, or cleaning up the areas where the tourists go, so they can generate some revenue to get everything else fixed.

Quite frankly, if you want to be one of the ones that complain, and you don't want to give anymore money to rebuilding this city from a federal source, then why don't you just forget about us, instead of playing little dictator to how we do things. If you don't contribute to the help, then I see it as you having no real recourse in telling me or anyone else in this city what to do. Go forth to NYC, and wave your baton as the crowds part to watch you rebuild a monument after 5 years. Your concern obviously lies more there.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
That was one of the first times I had agreed with him. Maybe not the best choice of words calling it a hole it the ground, but oh well, nobody is perfect, and it's getting tiresome to have other people tell us what to do. Why don't you run to Homestead, FL and ask the people there that are still recovering from Andrew?

You seem to be taking it personally, niteboy, but that's your problem. But I wouldn't be too proud if I voted for Nagin, either, so I can understand your defensiveness.

And Homestead isn't badmouthing another part of the country like Nagin is doing.

Ok, so what, Jso? Is he supposed to hypnotize them by shining his shiny head at the workers as payment for their work? He just got a yearly salary increase for the Fire Dept. and a 10% increase for what little police force we have. That's more important if you ask me.

He's the mayor. That's his job to find the money.

Hardly life-threatening, Jso. I think we're well aware here about the hurricane season.

You don't see the pollution and disease that come with uncollected trash as life threatening? As I reall, Nagin himself was complaining last year about the "Angel of Death" riding on the night wings of large mosquitoes, or some such tripe.

Armchair mayors that haven't been elected should go back to flipping TV stations or help out.

And elected mayors should start to do their jobs. At least the WTC site has been largely cleaned up and is on the road to being rebuilt. And they didn't whine about NOLA while they were working on it, either.

You're very bitter. Those "unemployed" people don't live here. Is he supposed to extradite them back to Louisiana? Are there laws for this?

What a poor excuse.

You saying that everyone in NOLA is employed? Now that I would applaud. It doesn't matter who does the work. Just get it done.

Quite frankly, if you want to be one of the ones that complain, and you don't want to give anymore money to rebuilding this city from a federal source, then why don't you just forget about us, instead of playing little dictator to how we do things. If you don't contribute to the help, then I see it as you having no real recourse in telling me or anyone else in this city what to do.

Enough with the personal insults, like "little dictator", niteboy. And I have every right to criticize your mayor.

If I were the fed gov't, I wouldn't pour another nickel into NOLA without asking for a receipt. It is one of the most corrupt cities in the US. That's probably what Nagin is waiting for - graft money to pay off his political backers.

Take a lesson from your neighor, Mississippi. They rolled up their sleeves and got the job done, or are well on their way.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, anyway, let's hope you guys don't get nailed with the next round of storms. I wish you all the best.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I can see why niteboy would be taking it personally,his location says New Orleans. I just watched a 4 part documentary on katrina on HBO earlier this week. I highly recommend watching it.Not only do you find out/see things that weren't shown on t.v but you get to hear the real story,and see the non-action the govt did. The aftermath of katrina is a disgrace to the us the U.S. I don't like nagin,seems like a half-a$$ mayor to me,but i do agree with his statement.

He's not badmouthing NYC,its the truth what he said. Its been 5 yrs and what are they doing now? The gov't is crap when it comes to domestic aid. Yet 2 days after the tsunami we had supplies and troops there. Its not like they didnt see katrina coming.

The people that voted for Nagin deserve what they get. If they don't mind living among filthy streets, then let them have him.

And the ppl that voted for bush twice...... get what they deserve also.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spanishcaravan
I can see why niteboy would be taking it personally,his location says New Orleans.

Well, it wasn't meant as an attack on niteboy, or NOLA. It was meant for that poor excuse of a mayor.

I just watched a 4 part documentary on katrina on HBO earlier this week. I highly recommend watching it.Not only do you find out/see things that weren't shown on t.v but you get to hear the real story,and see the non-action the govt did.

Think so, huh? That special was classic Spike Lee - emotions, sound bites, bias and half-truths. And very little depth of investigation. He stirs the emotions of those who live by sound bites.

Typical example: who got to appear and speak in his film? This from CBS:

The official perspective comes from New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, Governor Kathleen Blanco, and an array of historians and engineers, as well as city, state and government officials — including those who built the known-to-be inadequate levee walls that failed to protect the city.

Celebrities with their own offbeat Katrina tales such as Kanye West and Sean Penn are also included, sparingly. In interviews and other footage gathered from media outlets, President Bush, Condoleezza Rice, former FEMA head Mike Brown and others are quoted extensively with scathing commentary from Lee's subjects sprinkled in.

www.cbsnews.com...

What does that tell you?

I heard an interview with him on MSNBC, discussing NOLA. When pressed for proof, he shouted out "What about the Tuskegee Project?" several times. Then he railed on about the 2004 elections in Florida. And when he was asked, how could something so outrageous be true, he responded with "Why is it so far-fetched to believe that it might be true?" Huh? What has one got to do with the other, Spike? In other words, he had no proof, just a "what-if" that people were supposed to take as gospel.

Spike Lee telling Ray Nagin's story. Now there's something for Saturday morning TV!

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The NYC 'hole in the ground' was fixed a long time ago. It's just taking a long time to decide what to build on the spot. New Orleans is still a mess in many places and it (rightly) reflects on Nagin. Ray Nagin is an idiot.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Occurs the mess in New Orleans reflects on the leaders of the city . . . that is why they want more cooperation to get the city pre Katrina state.

NO is not hole in the ground is actually an entire city that got devastated and thousands of citizens displace all over.

I think that the mention of A hole in the ground was taken out of content because nobody liked his comment about the Chocolate but to tell you the truth New Orleans majority of citizens Are deliciously chocolate so no big deal.

If NO was my city will be also taking this personal.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

If NO was my city will be also taking this personal.

Taking what personal, marg? Nobody is attacking the city, just the mayor. He is doing a lousy job, and he had no right or reason to badmouth NYC. The only reason he did it was to cover up his own incompetence. The people in NYC should be the ones who take this personally.

Tell me, marg...do you think Ray Nagin is doing a good job as mayor? And do you think he helped the city by badmouthing NYC?

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Tell me, marg...do you think Ray Nagin is doing a good job as mayor? And do you think he helped the city by badmouthing NYC?

Well Js, I am not NO citizen and for what I can see is not in my opinions to talk about something that doesn't affect me personally.

He obviously is well accepted by his own peers in NO because he is still the Major.

So, what do you think? somebody still likes him very much.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Well Js, I am not NO citizen and for what I can see is not in my opinions to talk about something that doesn't affect me personally.

Oh, marg, since when is that true? We talk about things that don't affect us personally all the time here on ATS.

He obviously is well accepted by his own peers in NO because he is still the Major.

And if I said the same thing about Bush, what would be your answer?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
It's not a whole in the ground! It's more like a parking lot!

On a side note, I met the love of my life many years ago on a bench at the WTC, between my classes at BMCC. We parted ways after a tulmultuous affair, but I think of her quite often.

Maybe some things can be rebuilt, at least I hope so.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Just to clarify on this for you, from what I can see. His peers tend to be those that share his political power and go along with his political slant. When it comes to the citizens being his "peers", well, I'll put it to you like this. I'm trying to find a local lawyer right now to meet with, because I have a group of 100 people that are ready to volunteer to start the petition for his recall. It wasn't because of this incident alone, it's because of him and what we're seeing/feeling. After today, and then tomorrow, I have a feeling the anger will have swelled more against him.

I don't think he was wrong for the opinion, though in retrospect, I am going to say that he was wrong for the timing.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
On a side note, I met the love of my life many years ago on a bench at the WTC, between my classes at BMCC. We parted ways after a tulmultuous affair, but I think of her quite often.

Ah, yes, Angry Love. Definitely the most satisfying type.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
He was on 60 Minutes last night with Byron Pitts, the reporter that did the interview. He appeared to be defensive.

Otoh, they showed the new levees that have been built. Very impressive, and they should be able to hold back the water in any future storms.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

they showed the new levees that have been built...they should be able to hold back the water in any future storms.

Um ... the talking heads this week have all said that New Orleans levees can't take a category three 'cane. I don't understand why they keep insisting on rebuilding a city below sea level; in a bowl; in hurricane territory; and especially with inadequate levees.

Also - IMHO - Nagin isn't the only idiot in all this ... the Gov. of Louisianna - Blanco - she's a brainless wonder as well.

Nagin and Blanco ... THESE are the best Louisiana has to run things??? God help 'em!

[edit on 8/28/2006 by FlyersFan]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join