It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Jesus dying on the cross a big deal ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
Many people give up their lives everyday for what they believe in and to help others. And they don't know that they go to heaven when they die. They don't even know for sure that there is even anything at all after death.

This is where faith comes into the picture.
I believe that if you step out on faith, great things will come to you. Life can be quite difficult at times and we all have our crosses to bear. Faith gets me through the bad times and reminds me that good times will return.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
to quote christ himself

"making the word of god of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. and many such things you do"

in other words it is a big deal to the institutions because it is a very profitable symbol...
jesus did not die for our sins this is a lie perpetuated by the church, he died so men can recgonize sin by the actions taken against him by fellow men, know the difference...

yeah. i'm like all down with that and whatnot. nice.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Some good answers here guys, thanks for that.

Someone stated that I should have used google to find the answers, but a discussion is much better, isn't that why we have a discussion forum here.

I found Seekerof's answers much more informative than anything off of google.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   
why are people disuading people who come to ats from the truth by telling them to go else where?
what is really going on?
any comments, questions, or concerns?

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Oh an Seekerof, thanks for seeing that my inquiry was really about why is it called Jesus making a sacrifice, and not why was it significant.

Many others failed to make that distinction.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Some of you are going to Hell.

no. i can guarentee you are going to hell. judege not lest ye be judged

[Edited on 11-2-2003 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   

TC, do transgendered people go to Hell?

If they don't accept Christ as their savior. Or if they grow up to be dirtbag, lying, snake-in-the-grass liberal lawyers!

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
The crucifix is one of the biggest global marketing brands, bigger than Coke or McDonalds or Microsoft Windows. It is immediately recognizable, and connotes what is happening in buildings, and what is probably happening in the heads of people wearing it around their necks.

Me, I prefer not to glorify instruments of execution.

Christ taught well, many years ago, but his teachings have been abused by most Christian Churchs ever since.

I think it's sad that MAs comment went merely unoticed as they were, as usual, fullfilled with wisdom.

Why is it such a big deal, because the christian church made it into what it is today, and used that as a tool to make people feel guilty for their sins. (does that still work, LOL!) Jesus died (if he existed) because the Roman were afraid of such a brilliant and dangerous mind.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
The crucifix is one of the biggest global marketing brands, bigger than Coke or McDonalds or Microsoft Windows. It is immediately recognizable, and connotes what is happening in buildings, and what is probably happening in the heads of people wearing it around their necks.

Me, I prefer not to glorify instruments of execution.

Christ taught well, many years ago, but his teachings have been abused by most Christian Churchs ever since.

I think it's sad that MAs comment went merely unoticed as they were, as usual, fullfilled with wisdom.

Why is it such a big deal, because the christian church made it into what it is today, and used that as a tool to make people feel guilty for their sins. (does that still work, LOL!) Jesus died (if he existed) because the Roman were afraid of such a brilliant and dangerous mind.

i noticed. i agree with what you said, too.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
whoops. i agree with MOST of what you said. i don't think it was 'the romans'. i think it was the cabal.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Jesus could have survived the cruxifiction, he wasnt up there very long and what little I know about naling someone to a cross is they tend to live for a few days and have a slow agonizing death. Jesus could have lived, rested for a day in the tomb and was walking around again by sunday. He may of died quietly a few weeks after the cruxifiction and the believers started the myth that he ascented into heaven. I dont know what happened and never will.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 04:07 PM
link   
i think he died as an example for people, to show people taht you have to be willing to give your life for the good of everyone, not only ur own beliefs, STO not STS

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I am not going to pretend to be very knowledgeable on this subject but. Everyone is posting there thoughts not "FACTS". And when someone post a thought against popular belief everyone is saying you are posting unfactual information based on bias opinions.

Well most of what said other then quotes are all opinions. Also I do not take anything other then a direct quote to be fact, seeing how the bible was written sometime after Jesus died there is no direct quote from him only hear say which we all know gets twisted very fast.

There for we wont ever know why or what real sacrifices were made until we die. It is known the church was once corrupt and seems like it still is today seeing all the covers ups going on. So it is not far fetched to believe Jesus didn�t die for our sins nor as a symbolic jester, it COULD have happened because he couldn�t get out of it and he was merely mortal. He was leading an upraising which threaten the establishment he was caught and killed in a mortal way. It MIGHT have been as simple as that then twisted by the believers that Jesus controlled everything even his own death to symbol a sacrifice greater then we can imagine. To me it seems like a child who�s dad was drafted and died in Vietnam saying "My father died to make the world a better place." when all reality he died because he was forced to be there and probably rather wanted to be with his son. See how things are twisted from one reason to another.

This said the answer to the questions is simple, we will never know until we die and see if there is an after life or not and if it is the one Jesus preached. Then we will know be being enlightened wither or not he did it for us.

Also this is my thoughts not intended to be facts take it as what you once since that is what we do with everything its our nature!

-Core

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
i like how you started to appease those posters to then impose your take on the situation though...

did you take a hippocratic oath?
where did it come from?
is this fact or imposed beliefs?...

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   

TC, do transgendered people go to Hell?

You don't know the answer to this already Colonel....? My, my.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I'm actually dismayed at the comments to this already?
Do any of you believe in God?
Do any of you read the Bible?
Do any of you have faith in anything but yourselves?
Do any of you, regardless of your upbringing and feelings of God and the Bible, understand Christianity?
Do any of you have an open mind enough to try to understand the Bible and the PLan of Salvation that is layed out in it?

In such.......the answer to this question becomes clear.
Despite our beliefs on anything, to understand facts, information, etc., one must try to understand the perspective of anothers views, information, etc.

The comments given thus far, are examples of nonsense and lack crediability of understanding. They are mere expressions of "opinion" and do not answer the question asked. Then one must also try to understand the reasoning of the question asked, being the question was followed up with a biased reasoning.....

I'll answer your question:
The "big deal" concerning Jesus "sacrifice" on the Cross was symbolic in representing the fullfillment of the Plan of Salvation to and for humanity, according to Christianity. It may be of no consequesnce to you or some others, but to Christians, without this "sacrifice", many things would be different in the Christian world of thinking and doing. Jesus's "sacrifice" symbolizes many things, instead of mocking it and belittleing it, try taking an open-minded attitude and understand the symbolism behind it.....allowing your own personal feelings, beliefs, etc. to hamper you in doing so, does not answer the question and does not fulfill the requirements of "deny ignorance."

If you don't believe in God, Christianity, Jesus, etc, etc, that is your opinion and your right. BUT, one who researches and has an open-mind, despite what I have mentioned above, gives a open-minded answer....not a closed-minded one.......

Many read but do not truly understand......
In a world filled with 'self' and bias's, we seperate ourselves by being open-minded and freeing ourselves from lack of understanding and lack of tolerences.

My point?
Be able to truly READ and UNDERSTAND....
Failing to do this only complicates ones ability to "see".
"Sacrifice" requires a denial of selfishness/self.....Love, absolute love, gives and "sacrifices" unselfishly...you see....in a true understanding of Love....everything but self matters.....

regards
seekerof

Well said....

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The story I hear that represents Christianity is Jesus was completly innocent and got excecuted. This was supposed to be a perfect sacrifice for all of our sins. And of importance Jesus was part God. Somehow because of that if you are part of the church and live a Christian life your sins will be forgivin.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You post was very elegant Seekerof. One of the best replies, I have seen. It also appalls me the lack of basic understanding of Christian beliefs you see today. I even made a Topic which contain links for people to use to become more informed about the subject. I doubt if very many read that Topic. Yet we see people who post and show their total lack of knowledge. Yet I have been throughly criticized by some by suggesting that we use the resources of the internet to become informed about religion. Indeed in the recent past I have learned more about Hinduism (and Krishna), Buddhism, Zoroasterianism from the internet than I could ever learn in the library. Not only that but I know that what I read is truly what these people believe because the web sites are operated by practicing Hindus, Buddhists, Zoroasterians, etc. Today you don't need to read a book written by someone who may have a hidden agenda to find out what these people truly believe. Again you post was great.

In closing I would like to mention that perhaps one of the most elegant statements about the Crucifixion of Jesus was written by a man named John Newton in the late 1700's:

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

It is stange, you don't really understand Jesus Christ until you believe. I know, I have been on both sides of the belief.

As for me, time grows short, and I grow tired of the game.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join