It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Dog-like Beast Killed by Car

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Obligatory Mainer reply:

Nobody here knew about this "chupacabra of the north", that is, I have never heard about it before now. The people living north of Bangor (read:weirdos) who lost their pets, well, that can be ascribed to bears, mountain lions, bobcats.....other dogs....ummm..hawks...vicious, vicious racoons...you get my point. Personally, I'll buy the hybrid theory. I wonder if the result was sterile?

In any case, don't complain about an animal dying on the road and not being picked up. That far up north, we're talking tens or hundreds of square miles for police officers and fire stations, let alone animal control officers

[edit on 17-8-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Kinda looks like the werewolf from the movie Sliver Bullet

All joking aside, as many people have said, it looks like a dog. Also, I cannot see this animal being the animal that attacked and killed a Doberman and a Rottweiler, as the fox article mentions as part of its scare mongering. The body and mouth are too small to take on those dogs.

When dogs starts to decompose, they can look really freaky. Especially when the lips start to draw up. All you see is teeth and the animal looks much more "devilish" than a live one. That is all this is.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Update:

Expert says mystery animal could be a Feral Chow.

www.cryptomundo.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
We don’t know how old the dogs were in those cases, if this is a wolf/dog hybrid it has potential as wolves have a much more powerful bite/jaw and can be overall stronger than dogs with higher levels of stamina. A fully grown Rottweiler, questionable, but yeah I guess they could have just been killed by wild wolves instead.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
It just really irritates me that the writer of the Fox News article tries to give the whole thing a scare feel by using words like mauled, frightened, mutant, evil, "chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night", etc. And then people wonder where urban legends come from!?

Hello Gemwolf

I found your comments here, maybe a little misplaced since, as of yet, there are somethings missing from this equation.

1: According to the Area Residents, this has been an ongoing problem for sometime, and if I am not mistaken, a Rotty and Dobe, have been killed this year alone. This would not account for "ALL PAST" Occurances.

2: Now common sense dictates, if this has gone on for years, this is a result of breeding, since I would be hard pressed to see, a 50 lb "Whatever" killing a Rotty. A pack of 50 lb "Whatever's" could, but alone? I had some Rotty's and they are not quite a pushover. Dobe's thats another topic, since they are not as truely Brazen as we tend to expect.

3: Maine, Wood Country, Bears, Deer, Moose, "Lore of recent Pumas Sightings", AND "Possible" re-introduction or re-migration of Wolves? It is an area that would sustain the elusive Wolf, and some Wild Dog's could merge within the pack. If it wished to stay, and could defend itself when confronted, it would be welcomed within the pack, from what I have understood (Limited as this is)

Yes, I would say this is a Wolf, (likely Timber), that has crossed with a Stray, but I think it was not this corpse that did the damage to the Varied Sightings. I think there will be MORE THAN JUST THIS ONE. Likely a Pack.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's legs give it away, particularly the hind legs.

It is either wolf or part wolf

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Folks...anythign is possible in nature. I once had a neighbor that had a cat that looked like a regular cat but had HUGE paws and small ears and weighed the better part of 25 lbs. The story from my neighbor was that is was the offspring of her housecat brreding with a lynx or mountain lion. Was the oddest thing I have ever seen. I was afraid of it but it was actually kinda affectionate. It used to tear up racoons!! My guess....the thing int he pic is a rabid chow/wolf/rat/goat mix.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You are looking at a real chupacabra.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ok I have the answer, its killing these other dogs, reports are its very hostile. and just from the looks of it i think its a wolf/PitBull mix would account for its size and personality and looks. I personally think it could have been someones pet AT ONE TIME but it probally got out of control, i mean think about it what could be meaner than a Pit Wolf?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
One of my neighbors had a Chow / American Pit Bull cross that looked exactly like that picture. I would have guessed the weight to be the same as well. We have lots of wolf crosses up here (Alaska) and that animal is too small for that. Although that color is common with wolves. They are usually in the 90 to 120 lb range though.

Its not that unusual for dogs to go feral. I'm originally from Idaho and I had to help a friend hunt down his Irish Setter and kill it because it had gone wild and either we did it or the Sheriff would and charge him for it. It got into a pack of wild dogs that were killing sheep and calves. The pack was made up of group that were following a St. Bernard that had gone feral. We shot four dogs that day after catching them red pawed killing a calf. It was an expensive lesson for my friend. That calf cost him a weeks pay. It was his fault as he had knowingly let the dog run wild. Once they start killing all you can do is destroy them.

I think all this hype is because people raised in the city have had no experience with these things and their imaginations run wild. The original, or current, owner is probably keeping their mouth shut so they don't get hit with a fine for letting it run wild. Coast to Coast was up to their usual hype last night and made it sound like some sort of devil beast. I all most fell over laughing when I saw the photo of a dead dog

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
When I was swimming I had a Saber Toothed Trout come after me!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I read in the article that vultures ate the animal to the bone did they mean buzzards and If thats the case i was told sometime ago that buzzards are scared to go near a canine carcuss and have seen dead dogs that are near other road kill and buzzards would not eat the dog but stayed on the other road kill until it was gone and never went near the dogs carcuss.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by linuxfueled
When I was swimming I had a Saber Toothed Trout come after me!

Wow
All we have up here is Killer Whales and the occasional Great White. Put on your trout proof underwear

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HUNTER1967
I read in the article that vultures ate the animal to the bone did they mean buzzards and If thats the case i was told sometime ago that buzzards are scared to go near a canine carcuss and have seen dead dogs that are near other road kill and buzzards would not eat the dog but stayed on the other road kill until it was gone and never went near the dogs carcuss.

Don't believe everything you hear
Dead is dead and meat is meat.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
What I can see of the teeth sure don't look like dog teeth and the eye is very strange looking. I've seen plenty of dead animals and never one that looked like that. Both pics the fur looks blue so I'm not sure if that is the color or something else.

It is insane that they left it to rot.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
It makes more sense now, that the creature is a hybrid. Looks different from the hybrids Im used to, but thats probably because its a different speicies of dog.

Originally posted by blackhumvee113
yeah the eyes did look a little umm abnormal?it kind of has some like blank stare but like it was focused on something

If it's part Wolf, it has to have mixed with a pretty weird type of dog.

It's eyes don't have the nobility that one usually sees in Wolves and Wolf/dog hybrids.

I mean, it is dead; but still... it looks too rodent-like.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackhumvee113
it kind of has some like blank stare but like it was focused on something

Yeah, probably the car that was about to hit it.

Looks like a dead dog or maybe dog/wolf to me, just like pretty much everybody else believes. I have seen plenty of wierd and ugly dogs that you would almost believe were aliens or gremlins, etc.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
If you think about it, this thing is causing a sensation, and testing shows it to be a dog wolf hybrid. So you can imagine the stir that things like that will cause without genetic testing. Or when there's no body, just a sighting or a dodgy photograph.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
If you think about it, this thing is causing a sensation, and testing shows it to be a dog wolf hybrid. So you can imagine the stir that things like that will cause without genetic testing. Or when there's no body, just a sighting or a dodgy photograph.

Sort of like the chupacbra sightings in the US SouthWest.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Anyone know which breed of dog?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join