It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Dog-like Beast Killed by Car

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This looks a lot like a dog to me, but people in Maine shudder in horror at this beast that was recently hit by a car. I suppose the lady that was complaining about the smell was talking about the odor even before it was dead.

Maine Mystery Beast Possibly Killed by Car
TURNER, Maine — Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It looks like a freakin' werewolf..........or at least what I would think a werewolf looks like.

Peace

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
We must have posted at the same time.

Mods feel free to close my thread.

The amazing thing is that they just left it to decompose and get picked apart by scavangers. What's wrong with people?

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's just a dog. A Chow that's been dead a while. I don't get the mystery or why all the locals are afraid of it??

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Go to the link and look at the other picture, it looks like a dog to me too, perhaps some cross breed, but definitely not a werewolf or the beast from hell, some people, I swear.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
As America becomes more and more urban, we have an ever increasing ratio of American residents who have never seen an actual dead animal.

It looks freakish to them because they've never seen a decomposing carcass. Animal control takes them "away," wherever that is, before they begin to rot.

That said, the teeth don't look like, um, canines. And the eyes have a certain, well intelligent cast, don't you think ?

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It could be a rabid jackalope or the Jersey Devil.

I'm just trying to keep my guesses based in reality as much as possible.

Peace

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
it looks very similar to a breed of dog i used to own; bouvier des flanders. he was about 180lbs. heres a link to what they look like,

Bouvier des flanders

its a breed of dog not very many people in the US have seen. they're bread to hunt wolves and watch over flocks of sheep and cattle in Belgium.

if you notice in the picture of the "waredog" posted above the same type of cropped ears and close match to the coloring. these dogs come in dark black, brindle, and the same shade of grey in the picture in the above post. one thing im sure everyone will notice is the hair on the face is very short. the traditional Belgium way of cutting these dogs hair is keeping the facial hair, ears and tail short to give the wolves less to grab onto. however most of the time in the US they have long facial hair because its a pain in the you know what to cut it all the time. are there any other pictures of the "waredog"?

One interesting note about them (not really related, just cool) is that they're bread to not bite the members of the flock like most hearding dogs (nipping the animals ruins the leather), they are taught instead to use their body weight to lean against the animal to push it towards where they want it to go.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
no canines or extremely worn canines?
old dog, if so.
Chow's tend to have longer hair and a wider muzzle:

Young Chows would have puppy teeth. Sharp, they are.

Hair quality is not the same as the Bouvier.

This is close, but the hair quality is still off:

[edit on 16-8-2006 by jlc163]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Chow mix I should have said, you're right that pure Chow's have a fuller coat. The blue lips and gums are a dead give away though, Chow mix for sure.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ok, I found another link for this story and the explanation here makes sense to me, given the bushy tail, and the hair around the neck area.

Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, said it's unlikely that the animal was anybody's pet.

After reviewing photos of the carcass, Coleman said he was bothered by the animal's ears and snout. It reminded him of a case years ago in northern Maine in which an animal shot by a hunter could not be identified. In the end, wildlife officials got a DNA analysis that showed the animal was a rare wolf-dog hybrid, he said.

Link

Black Wolf Picture

[edit on 16-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Actually looks like a tasmanian devil.

Just an observation.

This a link to an article on them and picture. . .

www.parks.tas.gov.au...

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Too bad there isn't a real idea of size.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well, the second picture in the original link gives a body image, and one of the people who saw the god/thing said it weighs around 40-50 LB. Marge its too big to be a Tasmanian and in the body picture it looks nothing like one, I still think it’s some type of dog/wolf hybrid.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ding ding ding...
the answer is...
Wolf chow hybrid?

it is obviously a dog at least partially... and a wolf would have the hair, and the mane that the chow doesn't...
and as the previous posters said...
the lips and tongue are a give away to being a chow mix...

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
oh now that i see the whole body. i agree, chow / wolf mix. this didn't make anyone else hungry did it?

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
like i posted in another thread it looks like type of wolf to me nothing more

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Because of the grass I can't see the teeth too well, but it looks like a dead dog to me, the eyes look a little different, but that might just be it decomposing.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
its actually my pet Wolfy
what happened! no kiding obv, looks very real
no doubt though I dont have a clue what it is I doubt its some of the afore mentioned
do you think that it was just a pup ? sumins telin me it was tho woodnt rule it out being fully grown it certainly aint no monster.

is it just me or does it not look like a bear i mean look at the shape of its head it looks awfully short nosed and flatfaced, certainly nothing like the length of snout of a wolf or even soem of the other dog pics

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Anybody else wonder why the fur is kinda... bluish? It may just be the camera's lighting. Furthurmore, the face has an almost human expression on it. This probably sparked the whole "werewolf" debate over the corpse, but one thing's certain, its not a normal canine. Must be some kind of crossbreed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join