It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian UFO videos hoaxed "immersive artwork"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The recent Australian "ufo wave" videos are now admitted to be a hoax (or rather an "immersive artwork") funded by the Australian Film Commission.

Details of the relevant "immersive artwork" project are given on the website at the link below:
australianufowave.com...

I think this episode shows that the ufological community (including this Forum) _really_ needs to make more of an effort to get to grips with the basic principles of Computer Generated Imagery (CGI).

A discussion is needed which steps back from _individual_ sightings and talks about the _basic_ methods of producing hoaxed footage using software such as Adobe After Effects.

I've said this a couple of times before, but...

All the best,

Isaac Koi

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
*sighs*

You know...its things like these that make me wish there was a law against hoaxing/faking UFOs...

It brings false hope to people who wan't to believe, and makes fools out of the UFO community.

But I'm sure this has been said dozens, if not hundreds of times.

Oh well...

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Oh c'mon..... are there really people here that did NOT know the videos on that site were faked? Really?

Heres a link toa previous post where i called the site fake before they came ot of their closet.....CLICK HERE!!!

Those videos were all so OBVIOUSLY CGI, I felt dumber after I watched them...

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
Oh c'mon..... are there really people here that did NOT know the videos on that site were faked? Really?

I'm afraid quite a few people did. Read the various threads on ATS about the videos in recent days.

For that matter, just read the thread titles, which often referred to "good" or "amazing" footage...

Of course, quite a few people did conclude the footage was composited using software such as Abode After Effects. See, for example, the only post I've made in relation to these videos, in a thread that had "CGI killing real UFO sightings. Take a look at this Australia video" as the title:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

One of the problems that I have with the relevant Australian website's description of the success of the hoax is that it does not acknowledge that various researchers did in fact suggest that the footage appeared to include Computer Generated Imagery

Moreover, several researchers also expressly referred to some of the actual techniques which the hoaxers (sorry, "artists") now admit they used (e.g. compositing of several layers of footage, including a layer of a real environment/witness on top of a layer which has a light/ufo moving about).

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I see that punk has got no way to email a verbal asswhooping he deserves. Not just a hoaxer but, a coward as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
He he, actually i find it all a bit funny...and interesting as well, sorry, i´m a 3D/VFX nut! It´s a very good thing to get this out in the open because it might teach some of the UFO comunity to become more sceptic to what they see. The bad thing is that some of these clips are actually so well executed that it would most likely be very hard to separate the hoax from the truth and so forth you might actually get genuine footage which passes as hoaxes.

I actually tinkered with the idea of making a few clips, break them down and post it here as a way of illustrating how it can be done. Could be useful for those not familiar with CGI/VFX terms for better understanding of what´s going on which in turn could make it easier to detect a hoax. Not gonna do...it´s just too risky, someone grabs the finished clip, posts it elsewhere and the damage is done.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The truth is there will be more and more CG animated UFO's and Aliens in the coming months and years. I've done more than my share of UFO themed work.

As for people believing in sites like that

If you shot some awe inspring, mind blowing UFO phenomena
You would ....

A) Make a highly compressed video - post it anonymously on some UFO web site
B) Reduce the video to a postage stamp - post it anonymously on some UFO web site
C) Sit on it for some convoluted fear of GMan - Men in black, hit squad would get you.

I personaly would - Make copies of the original - Store them seperately - send out the video to various News and aeronatical agencies. Make clean compressed video copies and then post those on any number of public video services. On the net it (if Legit) it would span the globe so fast no one could stifle it.

[edit on 15-8-2006 by nullster]

Toc

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That should teach us a lesson about pictures and videos. I think nullster got a point too. And not only toward ETs but all the important subject we see on the news and in our day to day lives.

[edit on 15-8-2006 by Toc]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The "artist" behind these hoaxed videos (Chris Kenworthy) has now been interviewed about his intentions and his opinions.

See:

www.ufowatchdog.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I actually see nothing wrong with this, Chris Kenworthy could be considered a martyr to the cause as it is highly unlikely that he would be taken seriously if he did happen to chance upon a genuine UFO and got excellent footage, but his project has shown what can be done and how a majority of individuals interested in the UFO phenomena can be fooled by someone I consider to be a talented filmmaker.

Personally, I only saw one of these clips prior to viewing this thread, I wasn't convinced by that particular clip, but have to admit, could have been fooled by a few of the others.

I think I might try and see if he is willing to do an interview here.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I actually see nothing wrong with this,

I think I might try and see if he is willing to do an interview here.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea in principle either.

The one gripe that I have (and it's not a very strong one) is that I think his website rather gives the impression that no one suggested that the videos were created using computer software (e.g. compositing software).

I'd be interested in reading another interview of him. I'd be very interested in reading more detailed information about how he created some of his videos and any suggestions that he may have for spotting hoaxes in the future.

I may write to him myself once I've finished another couple of projects.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It was just a matter of time before Christopher Kenworthy confessed the whole fraud and I was waiting this. In my point of view this guy Christopher Kenworthy's project was a complete failiure due to his inexperience in Ufology.

He may be a known filmaker but in the UFO subject he is an amateur as proved with this naive project, only lasted two months. Christopher Kenworthy failed to do a proper research about how ufo sightings are reported and videotaped. He could have invented some false names for non-existent witnesses for example to add more credibility to his videos. He acted like a child posting videos almost daily and abusing of the CGI effects till the last ones, very bad produced that resulted in exposing the whole bunch.

In my investigation I studied carefully the psychological profile of the webmaster, every comment, every post and details.
It was clear this was a work of an amateur trying to create something for some motive yet to discover.

Christopher Kenworthy in his naive dream pretended to be himself a new Ray Santilly, a new John Wave capable of deceiving the world but his dream came to an end abruptly as a result of his own childish mistakes.

In his final statements now published on the website I recognize a big deal of anger, frustration and dissapointment with himself trying to blame everyone, ufologists, skeptics, ufo belivers and people in general accusing all of them of being dumb and naive regarding the UFO phenomena claiming himself like the master of knowledge, the genius of deceiving. Just empty words trying to cover up his ridicule failed project and now Christopher Kenworthy will be remembered forever as a lousy cheating liar just like Santilly and other ones.

And worst he used Brian Vike for his purposes deceiving the old researcher who to my surprise fell in this hoax. Now the fraud is revealed by the hoaxer himself and let's see what does Brian Vike have to say wich I doubt he will say anything since he was deceived like a kid damaging his reputation.

We are living the times of hoaxes like never before and we see how websites like YouTube and Google Video have increased the number of hoaxed videos posted.

But we have developed experience and a certain sense if I may say so to be alert and recognize those suspicious frauds and tampered videos around so that's the importance of these discussions.

In the case of the infamous Australian UFO Wave 2006 let's just say it was a bad joke.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hence the reason that I don't hoax any of my photos and can testify to their authenticity.

Mind you the photos are a bit ambigous in the experiment and I couldn't really make out what they were suppose to represent.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
free_spirit Your investigation sounds very interesting any chance of a link?

rachel07 That is good to hear, as you have yet to post a reply to to this thread who is this person?

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I have contacted Chris Kenworthy and he has agreed to an interview, I am awaiting a reply from William One Sac and SkepticOverlord as to how to proceed.

If approved, I will start a thread requesting questions to be put to Chris, please don't post your questions here.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Unfortunately the powers that be have said that they don't want to give Chris Kenworthy any unwarranted recognition, so have refused the interview with him.

Can't say that I agree with this decision, given we entertain people like Michael Horn, the representative of Billy Meier. Although, there is a great deal of evidence that points to Meier faking his photos, I guess because he hasn't admitted doing so, we have to assume that there is truth in his claims.

I'm unsure as to why people seem so bitter about what Chris has done, in my view it was a necessary evil, in order for individuals to take stock of their need to believe.

I wonder how many clips are out there, produced by other individuals, that are being taken as real, I guess some people are quite happy to be taken in as long as they don't have that fact verified.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Unfortunately the powers that be have said that they don't want to give Chris Kenworthy any unwarranted recognition, so have refused the interview with him.

I'd say the staff of ats show excellent judgement in refusing such an interview. Simply because not doing so would lend credence to the actions of an admitted hoaxer.

I'm unsure as to why people seem so bitter about what Chris has done, in my view it was a necessary evil, in order for individuals to take stock of their need to believe.

If you were to loan me your car and I took advantage of your trust by stealing it. Would you then argue the necessity of my actions and justify it with equal logic? I mean certainly next time, you wouldn't be so gullible in trusting people you don't really know..

IMO, the abundance of hoaxes and hoaxers is what undermines what little credibility there may be left around these parts.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
If you were to loan me your car and I took advantage of your trust by stealing it. Would you then argue the necessity of my actions and justify it with equal logic? I mean certainly next time, you wouldn't be so gullible in trusting people you don't really know..

Actually Durden a fairer analogy would have you returning the car saying "I didn't really steal it, I was just seeing what you would do"

And I agree somewhat with the decision, had Chris posted directly to this site claiming they were real.

Lets face it, the majority of members here don't have any knowledge of what is capable of being acheived using CGI. I for one would like to have found out the processes involved, as I am sure would others. Whether we like it or not, anyone who has seen his clips have, now a far better idea and will not be so quick in conceding to a video being real or evidence of proof.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Koka]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Actually Durden a fairer analogy would have you returning the car saying "I didn't really steal it, I was just seeing what you would do"

Fairer, certainly. Though hardly accurate. This person did hoax these videos. And his manner in trying to justify it does little to defend that act.

And I agree somewhat with the decision, had Chris posted directly to this site claiming they were real.

That makes little sense, Koka.

Lets face it, the majority of members here don't have any knowledge of what is capable of being acheived using CGI. Whether we like it or not, anyone who has seen his clips have, now a far better idea and will not be so quick in conceding to a video being real or evidence of proof.

That would also have been accomplished had he been sincere from the get-go.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
Fairer, certainly. Though hardly accurate.

No less accurate than your initial analogy.

That makes little sense, Koka.

Well, the T&Cs say "You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate".

Chris didn't post anything here, yet the request for an interview is being presented as if he had.

I have a recollection of a game that started here, which was initialised with a photo of a UFO being chased by a jet(s). Someone wanted help verifying its authenticity.
So it started off as a falicy and then was found to be a staged event, why, on that occasion, were we willing to be taken in by ATS, someone posted, knowingly, a fake image but it was accepted although it went against the ATS T&Cs.

I'm trying to find the thread concerned.

That would also have been accomplished had he been sincere from the get-go.

Not really, you would have people saying "They are so obviously fake" or words to that affect, based solely on preserving their pride and credibility. The aim was to show that even self proclaimed experts have no idea what is real and what is fake.

Lets face it, I can claim that every piece of footage ever submitted is fake, and not be proved wrong.

UFOlogy is a pseudoscience, akin to Ghosthunting and Astrology, in all the years I've been looking at photos and videos, I have never concluded that it was evidence and probably won't until the day I have an experience of my own.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Koka]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join