It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post a Quote

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I picked this up in a forum today. Made me laugh so hard :-)

"If you don't know the difference between a file and storage media, you should just go and kill yourself now. Please, before you reproduce."

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
"Genuine tragedies are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - G. W. F. Hegel

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
"A word to the wise ain’t necessary, it is the stupid ones who need all the advice."
- Bill Cosby (1937-)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
"It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Courage Quotes

I feel we need them at this time more than ever....

Eleanor Roosevelt
"Courage is more exhilarating than fear and in the long run it is easier. We do not have to become heroes over night. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering we have the strength to stare it down."

Christopher Reeve
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."

And my favorite

Robert Green Ingersoll
"When the will defies fear, when duty throws the gauntlet down to fate, when honor scorns to compromise with death - that is heroism."

Semper

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Random quotes about science,religion,philosophy and life elsewhere.

"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours,you think it's only a minute.But when you sit on a hot stove for a minute,you think it's two hours.That's relativity."
Albert Einstein.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate for what he is not and a sense of humour to console him for what he is."
Francis Bacon

Reality is that which,when you stop beleiving in it,does not go away.
Anon

Watch your thoughts,for they become words
Watch your words,for they become actions
Watch your actions,for they become habits
Watch your habits,for they become character
Watch your character,for it becomes your destiny.
Anon

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
Anon

"Just look at us,everything is backwards;everything is upside down.Doctors destroy health,lawyers destroy justice,universities destroy knowledge,governments destroy freedom,the major media destroys information and religions destroy spirituality."
American Writer Michael Ellner

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"I do not feel obliged to beleive that the same God who has endowed us with senses,reason and intellect has intended us to forgoe their use".
Galileo Galilei

"Relgions are like farts.
Yours is good,but everyone else´s stinks"
Slim Pickings

"The most formidable weapon against errors of any kind is reason".
Thomas Paine

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

"To consider the earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet,only one grain will grow"
Methodorus.
Greek philosopher of the fourth century B.C.

"Heaven and earth are large,yet in the whole of space they are but as small as a grain of rice.......How unreasonable it would be to suppose that,besides the heaven and earth which we can see,there are no other heavens and no other earths"
Teng Mu.
Chinese philosopher of thirteenth century A.D.

"The universe is infinitely wide.
Its vastness holds innumerable atoms....
So it must be unthinkable that
Our sky and our round world are precious and unique....
Out beyond our world there are,elsewhere,
Other assemblages of matter making other worlds.
Ours is not the only one in air´s embrace"
Lucretius.
Roman philosopher of the first century B.C.

"Innumerable suns exist;innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun.
Living beings inhabit these worlds"
Giordano Bruno.
Italian monk of the sixteenth century (also burnt at the stake for these views by religious bigots).

"Looking at the stars always makes me dream,as simply as I dream over the black dots representing towns and villages on a map.
Why ,I ask myself,shouldn´t the shining dots of the sky be as accessible as the black dots on the map of France?"
Vincent Van Gogh.

"Why may not every one of these stars or suns have as great a retinue as our sun of planets,with their moons,to wait on them?...They must have their plants and animals,nay and their rational creatures too,and those as great admirers,and as diligent observers of the heavens as ourselves...."
Christiaan Huygens.
Dutch physicist and astronomer of the seventeenth century.

"It is precisely because I believe theologically there is a being called God,and that He is infinite in intelligence,freedom, and power,that I cannot
take it upon myself to limit what He might have done.
Once He created the Big Bang.....He could have envisioned it going in billions of directions as it evolved,including billions of life-forms and billions of kinds of intelligent beings...
As a theologian,I would say that this proposed search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) is also a search for knowing and understanding God through His works-especially those works that most reflect Him.Finding others than ourselves would mean knowing Him better"
Theodore M. Hesburgh ,C.S.C.,
University of Notre Dame

"I do not know what I may appear to the world,but to myself I seem to have been only a boy playing on the seashore,and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary,whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me"
Sir Isaac Newton.

"The earth is the cradle of mankind,but one does not live in the cradle forever"
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.

"Being an optimist,I support a persistent search for beacon signals of extraterrestrial civilisations"
Andrei D. Sakharov

"This is a present from a small distant world,a token of our sounds,our science,our images,our music,our thoughts,and our feelings.
We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours.
We hope someday,having solved the problems we face,to join a community of galactic civilisations.
This record represents our hope and our determination,and our good will in a vast and awesome universe"
U.S.President Jimmy Carter.
1977 Voyager Spacecraft interstellar record.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
"It is difficult to say who do you the most harm: enemies with the worst intentions or friends with the best." __
Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

"All is mystery; but he is a slave who will not struggle to penetrate the dark veil."
Benjamin Disraeli

"The penalty of success is to be bored by the people who used to snub you."
Nancy Astor

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
"Don't date younger guys, or own a dog. Both of them steal your panties."

- A friend of a friend

- Carrot

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

Steven Wright

I hope this hasn't been posted already, too many quotes to get through in one day.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
" Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" Martin Luther King Jr.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Wanted to add a few of Will Rogers Quotes:

`You can be killed just as dead in an unjustified war as you can in one protecting your own home.'

`People don't change under governments. Governments change. People remain the same.'

`Live your life so that whenever you lose, you are ahead.'

`Personally, I have always felt the best doctor in the world is the Veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what's the matter. He's just got to know.'

"They used to take your horse and if they were caught they got hung for it. Now if they take your car and if they are caught it's a miracle." column September 11, 1932.

"If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

[edit on 26-11-2008 by rikk7111]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Tolerance implies a respect for another person, not because he is wrong or even because he is right, but because he is human.
John Cogley

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikk7111
" Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" Martin Luther King Jr.

Great one!

Another wise one to think about:

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal"
Martin Luther King.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
"The minute a man ceases to grow, no matter what his years,
that minute he begins to be old".
William James

"If people are good only because they fear punishment,
and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed".
Albert Einstein

"A pair of good ears will drink dry a hundred tongues".
Benjamin Franklin

"Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved
the absolute rejection of authority".
Thomas Huxley (1825-1895)

"Anger is never without a reason but seldom with a good one".
Benjamin Franklin

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
Martin Luther King Jr.

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible -- and achieve it, generation after generation".
Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973)
American Writer

"Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have
accepted the worst".
Lin Yutang

"Any mysticism that doesn't
grow better potatoes and corn isn't worth it!"
Native North American proverb

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just to start the Long Weekend Break

"The world has achieved brilliance without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants."
Author: Omar Bradley

"Words are dwarfs, deeds are giants."
Author: Swiss Proverb

Semper

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
George Carlin

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Post a 'Quixote'

This one's by Gustave Dore.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.

Miquel de Cervantes

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Here are a few that I really like, They are in Latin

Hope you enjoy them!!

Dum vita est spes est - While life is, hope is. / While there is life there is hope

Fronti nulla fides - No reliance can be placed on appearance. (don't judge a book by its cover)

Qui habet aures audiendi audiat - He who has ears, let him understand how to listen

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Some good ones about religion and non religion:

It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui. ~Helen Keller

If I were personally to define religion, I would say that it is a bandage that man has invented to protect a soul made bloody by circumstances. ~Theodore Dreiser, 1941

I believe in God; I just don't trust anyone who works for him. ~Author unknown

A man without religion is like a horse without a bridle. ~Latin Proverb

The Theologian is an owl, sitting on an old dead branch in the tree of human knowledge, and hooting the same old hoots that have been hooted for hundreds and thousands of years, but he has never given a hoot for progress. ~Emmet F. Fields

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them. ~Dave Barry

Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion. ~Lemuel K. Washburn

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said 'Stop! don't do it!' 'Why shouldn't I?' he said. I said, 'Well, there's so much to live for!' He said, 'Like what?' I said, 'Well...are you religious or atheist?' He said, 'Religious.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?' He said, 'Christian.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?' He said, 'Protestant.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?' He said, 'Baptist!' I said, 'Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist church of god or Baptist church of the lord?' He said, 'Baptist church of god!' I said, 'Me too! Are you original Baptist church of god, or are you reformed Baptist church of god?' He said, 'Reformed Baptist church of god!' I said, 'Me too! Are you reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?' He said, 'Reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!' I said, 'Die, heretic scum,' and pushed him off. ~Emo Phillips

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36 >>

join