It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Mayan Armageddon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am very new so please forgive me if I am doing this wrong. I just have a question. I was in a store in Mio, MI called Affinity when I came across a book. I do not remember the name of the book much less the author but it had a Mayan timeline that predicted Armageddon starting either October or November 2005 ending November or December 2006. If anyone has also come across this information or recognizes what book this could possibly be from please do tell. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The only "Mayan timeline" that I'm aware of is the one that is most often discussed here on ATS. Apparently, and I apologize if I'm not exactly precise, it appears to end on or about December 21, 2012. I may be off by a few days but 2012 is definitely the year that it is reported to end on.

I have my suspicions about what the end of this calendar means. My theory is that whoever made it would have had to have stopped making it at some point, whether they gave up on it, died, moved away, etc. That does not necessarily mean that the world ends at that point, it could just be as far as the person who made the timeline went. But that's just one of my theories. I'm not an expert on the subject and I've heard many conflicting stories about this timeline as it is.

There should be plenty of material on the Mayan calendar here on ATS as I've seen it discussed many times. I'd give you some links or pointers on how to search for it, but I have little-to-no skills when it comes to using ATS's search engine (and for some reason when I picture the ATS search engine I see it being powered by a squirrel running around a wheel).

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
liveforever, interesting question.

There are many books which go on about Mayan Timelines. A good place to start, on many of these issues is: wikipedia. It has a lot of information on the Mayan Civilization in a very easy form. It'll save you a lot of money as well on the buying of books.

This would be the main article about it all. The Mayan's used a system, where they had different calenders. It was based on hours, days, weeks, years, decades and so on and so fourth. They also had a system where they split up "ages" into certain amounts of years. This is what ends in 2012.

They have no written texts about anything bad happening. It's just the end of another age and is very much like a calender company. They don't make calenders for 2050 yet, doesn't mean the World ends then.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
liveforever, interesting question.

There are many books which go on about Mayan Timelines. A good place to start, on many of these issues is: wikipedia. It has a lot of information on the Mayan Civilization in a very easy form. It'll save you a lot of money as well on the buying of books.

This would be the main article about it all. The Mayan's used a system, where they had different calenders. It was based on hours, days, weeks, years, decades and so on and so fourth. They also had a system where they split up "ages" into certain amounts of years. This is what ends in 2012.

They have no written texts about anything bad happening. It's just the end of another age and is very much like a calender company. They don't make calenders for 2050 yet, doesn't mean the World ends then.

Dear God save me, I agree with Odium.

2012 Is the end of one age and the begining of another.
It talks about many changes, but not the end of the world.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Time for a pole shifting? A shift in polarization sounds good to me.

Mayhaps the answers you seek will be in Mel Gibson's new movie he's out to drum up some publicity for.

Check out these google links, Liveforever. Maybe the title of the book you saw will jump out at you.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The Mayans have a Great Age, the same as in astology. It last for 26,000 years. On December 12, 2012, the Mayan 26,000 year age ends. They do have a calendar for after that date, it starts a new cycle. The Mayans do not predict "the end of the world per se", but they do say that the Dec. 12, 2012 date is when basically history as we know it will end, to be replaced by something else. There may also be a cataclysmic event at that time, too, such as pole shifting. Either way, life as we know it ends and another paradigm comes into being. Also on that day, the planets will be lined up exactly in a straight line. Scientists aren't sure what that means or what will happen.

The Mayans were extraordinarily accurate in their calendar predictions.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Also on that day, the planets will be lined up exactly in a straight line. Scientists aren't sure what that means or what will happen.

This statement, along with an entire plethora of other statements to be found on the web about the Mayan Calendar, is simply not factual.

Here's a site where you can download free software that will display the positions of the stars and planets in the sky on practically any date you wish (only goes back to around 6,000 BC though.)

www.cybersky.com

Got that link, and thus the freeware, right here at ATS in another thread.

If you download the software and run it, you'll see that no such alignment takes place.

Harte

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
From what i understand which is not much, is that the long count calendar of the mayans has been "counting" the last four ages which last about 26,000 years each. Four ages have passed, the last and final age will end on dec 21 2012. A very significant astronimical event that happens every 26000 years (what are the odds??) where the sun or earth not sure will move closer to the center of our galaxy, WHICH in result will change our planets axis slightly. this is where the pole shifting idea comes from and the doomsday scenerio comes in also. and also some people say we will be in more of a direct path of more comsic vibrations which also leads to the theory, people will reawaken, a new age of human enlightment will begin. in short the mayans from what i understand never actually said the world will end, the calendar continues after this date.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayatlantean 1
From what i understand which is not much, is that the long count calendar of the mayans has been "counting" the last four ages which last about 26,000 years each.

I believe you've got them mixed up with the Hindus (well, someone has.) The Mayans believed the Earth was only 26,000 years old.

A very significant astronimical event that happens every 26000 years (what are the odds??) where the sun or earth not sure will move closer to the center of our galaxy,

Not quite.

In the night sky, the "rift"/empty band (actually a cloud of dust that obscures stars) in the center of the Milky Way will rise at equinox. The Galaxy is many billions of Earth-diameters thick. Niether the sun nor the Earth is moving closer.

WHICH in result will change our planets axis slightly.

Which will have no impact at all. The tug of the galaxy will be exactly the same, and in the same direction, as it is now.

And people will find a new "doomsday" or "age of enlightened awakening" when nothing happens in 2012.

new topics

top topics

join