It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dybbuk Box

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I was listening to Whitley Strieber's Dreamland today and they had an interview with a gentleman named Jason who is the current owner of something called the Dybbuk box.

The story appears quite well known but I hadn't heard of it prior to this and could find no thread about it on ATS. Here's a little background:

Dibbuk Haunted Jewish Wine Cabinet Box

Here's an excerpt from the original description of the box by the first seller, nw-net-trade.

All of the events that I am about to set forth in this listing are accurate and may be verified by the winning bidder with the copies of hospital records and sworn affidavits that I am including as part of the sale of the cabinet. The winning bidder will also be able to contact most of the persons mentioned herein for the purposes of verification, corroboration, and to gain insight into the full scope of whatever it is. During September of 2001, I attended an estate sale in Portland Oregon. The items liquidated at this sale were from the estate of a woman who had passed away at the age of 103. A grand-daughter of the woman told me that her grandmother had been born in Poland where she grew up, married, raised a family, and lived until she was sent to a nazi concentration camp during World War II. She was the only member of her family who survived the camp. Her parents, brothers, a sister, husband, and two sons and a daughter were all killed. She survived the camp by escaping with some other prisoners and somehow making her way to Spain where she lived until the end of the war. I was told that she acquired the small wine cabinet listed here in Spain and it was one of only three items that she brought with her when she immigrated to the United States. The other two items were a steamer trunk, and a sewing box.

I purchased the wine cabinet, along with the sewing box and some other furniture at the estate sale. After the sale, I was approached by the woman's granddaughter who said, I see you got the dibbuk box. She was referring to the wine cabinet. I asked her what a dibbuk box was, and she told me that when she was growing up, her grandmother always kept the wine cabinet in her sewing room. It was always shut, and set in a place that was out of reach. The grandmother always called it the dibbuk box. When the girl asked her grandmother what was inside, her grandmother spit three times through her fingers said, A dibbuk, and keselim. The grandmother went on to tell the girl that the wine cabinet was never, ever, to be opened.

Continued at source.

Here's a link to the Dreamland interview with both the original and current owners:

The Dybbuk Box - July 29, 2006

Remember the Dybbuk Box? Famed director Sam Raimi (the Spiderman movies, the Hudsucker Proxy) is developing a film based on the story of the Dybbuk Box, we’re revisiting the whole disturbing and fascinating story. So listen as the original and current owners compare notes on the effects of this demon-haunted artifact from prewar Poland. What's trapped in the Dybbuk Box...and what might happen if it gets out

It's a good and spooky story, is it just a canny sales pitch though or something more?

www.dibbukbox.com...

Jak

[edit on 4/8/06 by JAK]

[edit on 4/9/06 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
sales pitch

if you go to the site for the box itself (www.dibbukbox.com...) you see that the new owner has traced the histroy back to 1938. The old lady apparently held sceances with her family and they trapped a restless spirit, not in that box. Then, everyone died in the holocaust except her and she escaped with her trapped spirit and managed to transfer it to another box that she bought in spain?

sounds a bit muddled and silly. mainly because she was supposed to be the only survivor on the holocaust in her entire family and yet, after she died, they managed to track a cousin in poland who was part of the sceance group.

must be related to the movie althought I think the movie is about an old story called the dybbuk box from the 1920's.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You should hear Whitley's Subscriber's Special interview with the owner from a couple of years ago -- much more personal and way scarier. Especially when they got to talking about how the box affected one's eyes.

After 40 minutes or so, Whitley was so creeped out that he unceremoniously terminated the interview, hung up the phone, and closed the show in about 10 seconds. It was simultaneously spooky and funny; one of the scariest shows that he's done.

Baack

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Mysterious Universe (my favorite podcast of all time) did a good show with the Box. In fact MU did a good show on this box a few years back as well but I am not sure if you can access the old S1 shows or not.

Regardless, The Box freaks me out. More than most things like this.

anyway, cool story.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Great story,weather it's made up or not I don't get many I haven't heard before so Thanks!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I have just come across this story myself today. I am from the UK and they are bringing out a movie over here in August called "The Possession". (Based on a true story) So I thought mmmm BASED ON A TRUE STORY!! I want to know more!! Then I came across the man that now owns it (Jason Haxton, the curator of a medical museum in a small Missouri town) But from the trailer the only thing that is in common is THE BOX.

I find this story so interesting. If it has not already been mentioned you can see an interview with him on you tube....Here's the link..... www.youtube.com...

I want to know more VERY VERY interesting story... Love it

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Baack

This is fascinating.And im sure Whitley Strieber is not some-one who gets creeped out as quick as the average person,considering the life experiences he had.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Really interesting,s+f for you.Sam Raimi makes good and creepy horror-flicks.I enjoyed the first Grudge movie,anyway.He should pull it off.

new topics

top topics

join