It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please help with my network?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
For simplicity's sake I'm going to call the two computers "A" and "B." Computer A is the hardwired computer. Computer A can't share files with B. Whenever I try to open a file on A that is on B's drive, I get

\\machine name\name of folder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

No network provider accepted the given network path

Computer B can share files, Internet, the whole shebang with computer A.

If someone could help I would really appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr.President
Computer A is the hardwired computer.

What do you mean by that, is the other computer only using a wireless network?

Whenever I try to open a file on A that is on B's drive, I get ...

A file on A that is on B's drive? Is the file on A or on B?

And what operating systems do those computers have? It would be easier if we knew.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
depending on how your setup is it looks like it is just a simple mistake

all the files are there and there is no hardware failure, that message is for software, usually you just have to remap your drives to a single drive like z/ or x/ and then try and see what happpens.

But if you could give us, your OS, your computer types and hardwire specifics it would be easier.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
"A" is a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.
"B" is a Dell Dimension 2300 with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.
My router is a D-Link DI-624. The two computers are connected over a wired network.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
You have print and file sharing enabled on both computers?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter
You have print and file sharing enabled on both computers?

Yes

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Dear Mr. President,

It's all about security , and permissions.

While we are on the subject of security and permissions, there are a few things that I have been meaning to speak to you about sir. For example, who gave you permission to use the NSA to tap our phones and data?

Not that I have anything to hide, but when I phone or email my family I expect a tad bit of privacy doncha know?

Best of Luck,
makeitso

[edit on 8/4/06 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
- Shut down all open apps especially P2P stuff and any server type software.
- Ping each machine from the other. Ping each from the router.
- Check the Workgroup is the same on both.
- If fixed IP check the subnet and default gateway for an incorrect digit.
- Check the share names as duplicates can occur and conflict... (happens all the time).
- Check the event viewer and look for MrxSub (Master Browser) entries that indicate the two machines are having a "war" as to what is available on your network.
- Check the event viewer for TCP-IP entries that are yellow flagged.
- Go command prompt and run "netstat -no" and see if there are many open entiries if there are then get the PID listed and figure out what app(s)/malware are gummin' up the works... recently port 2869 and 1200 have been favs of the "backdoor" crews for outbound malware "seeks".
- Hit the router and make sure you don't have any mac addresses or internal IP's blocked. Look in the tools section as some routers have 'line" testers built in.
All else fails uninstall and reinstall your nic on the affected machine(s).

and gimme a u2u,

Victor K.

EDIT: WINXP home has a different local network implimentation than Pro, check and see whether you may have to run some sort of "Network Wizard" deal to prepare the network for shares... I'd check but we don't use "Home Edition".

[edit on 4-8-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
0k, if your navigating through normal explorer to this file theres one easy thing u can do to fix it.

On the PC where the SHARED folder is located, go into the control panel, users, and simply ADD another user to that pc.

The key is to name the new user, the same user your using on the PC thats ACCESSING the files.

Windows will see that the user is allowed on the shared pc, and simply allow you to look.

try it out, it works.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm going to agree with makeitso, Most often when I get this message it's a matter of who has rights to view what in which folder on which machine. Since you are able to share internet, the network probably isn't the issue.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
[edit on 20-8-2006 by mr president]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I just got back from vacation. I tried what Agit8dChop suggested and it didn't work. I'm going to do what V Kaminski suggested sometime this week because that looks like it'll take a long time.

Thanks Guys

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm tellin ya, permissions.

XP's security settings are such that without specific permission (even if it's to allow everyone full access) the files can't be accessed.

Right click the folder, go to properties, then select the security tab and see what it tells you.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420Right click the folder, go to properties, then select the security tab and see what it tells you.

There isn't a "security" tab. There's just a "general" one.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by Mr.President]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
IS your account configured as an Administrator? If not you'll be stuck unable to make any canges.

check by
Right clicking my computer, go to manage. On the left pane window select local users and groups, select groups, then double click Administrators to see who's an administrator.

This is how it works for XP Pro, but I'm not sure about home.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr.President
There isn't a "security" tab. There's just a "general" one.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by Mr.President]

The security tab is only on windows XP Pro

Check your firewall
)
and any other internet security programs, and put the ip addy of "a" in "b's" firewall settings and vice versa, hopefully that should give you free access between the two computers

djdohboy

top topics

join