It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Global Warming", is false.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
What?

Look I posted evidence that goes against the fact that their is some kind of "global warming" crisis going on. It's clean that people like Al Gore are just using this as a means to gain political power.

I'm not doing anything more than pointing this out, if you wan to dispute the fact that in many parts of the world the Earth is growing colder, and that a small part of the ice sheets are melting while others are growing than join in, if not than its clear that you just want to follow the "global doom" crowd and cry about George Bush all day

-- Boat

no, you didnt. global warming is when the planet as a whole heats up. that IS currently happening. since we werent keeping records for the last ice age we dont know if the caps gained or lost ice. we didnt keep temperature records either. we do now and we know thay are consistantly rising across the globe. thats what global warming is, and currently happening. we dont know all of the cause(s) and we dont know the end outcome.

the slogan for the site is deny ignorance not deny facts.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
George Bush is NOTHING. We have been polluting this planet long before he was “elected” president. The man is an idiot and a tool. The real rulers of America are soulless corporations like big oil and the telephone companies (wink wink).

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
quick explanation...

antartica is gaining ice because of the hole in the o-zone that is basically directly above it. Since we have taken measures to reduce o-zone generation, that hole is actually reducing in size and will eventually go away... kind of ironic.. that will then cause antartica to heat up.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The fact is, that their is a question as to if humans are really causing any meaningful change in our Earths climate. And people like Al Gore are using it for political gains...

So this thread isn't really about global warming, but Al Gore.
I can see why it was moved here.

Where was Al Gore and his movie when he was Vice President?

Another statement of ignorance ...or an outright deception.

Observe:

Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit

What's most inspiring about Earth in the Balance is who wrote it. It's a big deal, after all, that a sitting senator was willing to write, "We must make the rescue of the environment the central organizing principle for civilization." And that's not all. In his 1992 book, Al Gore also wrote:

I have become very impatient with my own tendency to put a finger to the political winds and proceed cautiously.... [E]very time I pause to consider whether I have gone too far out on a limb, I look at the new facts [on the environment crisis] that continue to pour in from around the world and conclude that I have not gone far enough.... [T]he time has long since come to take more political risks--and endure more political criticism--by proposing tougher, more effective solutions and fighting hard for their enactments.

And the buzz on the street is that Gore actually wrote those words himself.

When Earth in the Balance first came out, it caused quite a stir--and for good reason. It convincingly makes the case that a crisis of epidemic proportions is nearly upon us and that if the world doesn't get its act together soon and agree to some kind of "Global Marshall Plan" to protect the environment, we're all up a polluted creek without a paddle. Myriad plagues are upon us, but the worst include the loss of biodiversity, the depletion of the ozone layer, the slash-and-burn destruction of rainforests, and the onset of global warming. None of this is new, of course, nor was it new in 1992. But most environmentalists will still get a giddy feeling reading such a call to action as written by a prominent politician.

More...

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The man suffers as every other ego problematic human suffers.
He is an attention whore.

Listen to the scientists and do not listen to a man that has a power point presentation.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
thats what im saying. the point people are missing is that scientists told him. if he used the information for political gain or to truly help humanity does not change the fact that the mean surface temp of my home planet is increasing.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
So, which is it Boatphone? Were you ignorant of Al Gore's history...or did you intentionally ignore it?

[edit on 2-8-2006 by loam]

I'm aware that Al Gore has been "green" since his college days, yes. But I feel that he is incorrect, and is using the false fear of global warming to gain political points.

I also, feel that his movie and articles (like last months Time cover story) are over-hyping the danger, and human casue of "global warming".

-- Boat

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So I guess the question is simple......

Is there any chance what so ever that we (from our co2) have made any change to the planets climate ?

To be the sole claimers of such a thing i think is way to much for us to do alone. I think its a combo of nature and man. How can we (ants on the hill) effect the house in which we live near ? I just dont believe that.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
...how long have we had acurate temperature recordings 50 years, even 100 years? well that is just a very small data base to use to cite that we are causeing problems. kinda like takeing a survey of the worst, brokest area in a province/state and saying that the entire state/province is at the same levels. would you consider that good science? i certainly don't.

so untill someone can document the last 2000-3000 years temperatures i might be more prone to accept that they might be right...

Then be comforted in knowing that we have the answer for the last 740,000 years!

Come on people...do your homework!

Oldest Antarctic Ice Core Reveals Climate History

Secrets of the Earth's past climate locked in a three-kilometre long Antarctic ice core are revealed this week in the journal Nature. The core from Dome C, high on East Antarctica's plateau, contains snowfall from the last 740,000 years and is by far the oldest continuous climate record obtained from ice cores so far.

The ice has been collected in an eight year project by scientists and engineers from 10 European countries. Analysis of ice cores shows how temperature changed in the past, but also how the concentrations of gases and particles in the atmosphere varied.

The first results confirm that over the last 740,000 years the Earth experienced eight ice ages, when Earth's climate was much colder than today, and eight warmer periods (interglacials). In the last 400,000 years the warm periods have had a temperature similar to that of today. Before that time they were less warm, but lasted longer.

By comparing the pattern of this past climate with global environmental conditions today the scientists conclude that, without human influence, we could expect the present warm period to last at least another 15 000 years.

More...

But now, let's look at something more recent:

First Compilation of Tropical Ice Cores Shows Abrupt Global Climate Shift

For the first time, glaciologists have combined and compared sets of ancient climate records trapped in ice cores from the South American Andes and the Asian Himalayas to paint a picture of how climate has changed – and is still changing – in the tropics.

Their conclusions mark a massive climate shift to a cooler regime that occurred just over 5,000 years ago, and a more recent reversal to a much warmer world within the last 50 years.

The evidence also suggests that most of the high-altitude glaciers in the planet’s tropical regions will disappear in the near future. The paper was included in the current issue of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

Lastly, the research shows that in most of the world, glaciers and ice caps are rapidly retreating, even in areas where precipitation increases are documented. This implicates increasing temperatures and not decreasing precipitation as the most likely culprit.

More...

The article continues:

“...you can clearly see the 20th Century and the thing that stands out – whether you look at individual cores or the composite of all seven – is how unusually warm the last 50 years have been.

“There hasn’t been anything in the record like it – not even the MWP,” Thompson said.

“The fact that the isotope values in the last 50 years have been so unusual means that things are dramatically changing. That’s the real story here...”

And the article ends with:

“What this is really telling us is that our climate system is sensitive, it can change abruptly due to either natural or to human forces,” he said. “If what happened 5,000 years ago were to happen today, it would have far-reaching social and economic implications for the entire planet.

“The take-home message is that global climate can change abruptly, and with 6.5 billion people inhabiting the planet, that’s serious.”

Did that help?

[edit on 3-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Global warming is false.

how deceived or blinded can you be.

Ask that to NY residents who are right now literally MELTING.
Ask that to the NO residents who are still, trying to find there city.
Ask that to the English, who just went through the hottest day on ENGLISH record.
Ask residents in NSW Australia, who are experience the worst drought ever.

Ask people in Venice, where the water level... is indeed rising.

or lets trust someone, who says its all a hoax.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Ask that to the English, who just went through the hottest day on ENGLISH record.

...bit of a flawed arguement though. If we are to claim his arguement is flawed, due to a lack of historical evidence [like many of done] we then can't use the same arguements ourselves. :|

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
A little global warming never hurt anybody. As it is, with the way land mass is distributed on the Earth, having the temperature rise a few degrees will generally increase rainfall, and make a lot more land (much of northern Asia) suitable for growing crops.

If humanity intends to keep breeding at the current rate, we'll need that extra farmland to feed everybody.

If it gets too hot where you are, move north (or south, if you're Australian).

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoopnfunk
antartica is gaining ice because of the hole in the o-zone that is basically directly above it. Since we have taken measures to reduce o-zone generation, that hole is actually reducing in size and will eventually go away... kind of ironic.. that will then cause antartica to heat up.

Well, that's not exactly true. In fact, the size of the Antarctic ozone hole fluctuates a lot and actually disappears sometimes, even though our release of ozone depleting chemicals stays and has stayed about the same. The hole is mostly seasonal, and fluctuates according to upper-air temperatures. It significantly decreased in 2004 because of cooler air temps.

www.physorg.com...

And it has nothing to do with Antarctica heating up or cooling down.

Explain this to me, though. Sure, bromides, etc., will decrease ozone, and the hole seems to be a result of it. But why is it that the Antarctic is affected so much and not the Arctic, which is in the Northern Hemisphere, where most of the ozone depleting chemicals are released? Riddle me that, Batman.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

if not than its clear that you just want to follow the "global doom" crowd and cry about George Bush all day

-- Boat

Again, what does GWB have to do with anything. I'm afraid you are blinded by your own position, for you say little about Global Warming. AAC

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Well I can't say if it's real or not, never looked into the subject besides reading here on ATS, but I do know the weather is messed up.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

one picture in the middle of winter, the other in the middle of summer......thats my guess

BUT WAIT!!! ANTARCTICA IS LOSING 1 WHOLE OUNCE OF ICE PER YEAR!!!!!!!!! at this rate the earth will flood in another trillion years!!!!!
man give me a break
(i just said that in general, nothing towards what sauron said, just so i dont get anyone mad lol)

[edit on 4-8-2006 by blackhumvee113]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Global Warming, technically is a theory that the Earth overall is warming due to CO2 emissions. THis would make sense since CO2 is a greenhouse gas, that is undisputed.

It is incorrect to say then that Global Warming, sensu stricto is false. At absolute best what can be said is that no definitive answer is available yet.

In the general sense that the planet's overall climate is warming, it is true, and it is essentially undisputed amoung the scientific community.

Here is a nice little break down and chart of various data sets
en.wikipedia.org...:1000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

At the same time, its meaninless to say that 'this sure was a hot summer', or to look at photos of places that show snow one moment and no snow another. THose aren't the kid of data that show that the planet's temp is increasing.

As far as cycles go, YES, there are natural forces that drive climate, and they can be cyclical. But NO, none of them explain the current warming trend.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
An experiment to think about crime reduction was done, alot of people got together and thought about reducing crime, guess what, the crime rate in Washington , DC did reduce.

This is incorrect. You are probably thinking of an experiment in transcendental meditation performed by the people linked to the Natural Law Party. They beleived that their prayer groups could reduce the crime rate in DC, they tried, and failed, the crime rate increased over that experimental period. They claimed, later, that there would've been even more crime had they not been meditating.

crashtestwoman
Mostly they concluded that unfortunately mass carbon monoxide was heating up the planet but without it the planet would go into a meltdown and just not cope without the heat caused by the pollution and we would go into an ice age

There is a cycle of CO2 on the planet, its call the "Carbon Cycle", it naturally maintains itself. In the past, variations of the concentrations of CO2 are coincident with variations in temperature.

boatphone
Just becuase an ice sheet on greenland is melting, while, other ice sheets grow is not evidence of "global warming" caused my man

Indeed, it is not evidence of global warming. The overall increase in global temperature is what is 'evidence' of global warming.

The real cycle here is the fact that many on the left, want you to think that the sky is going to fall

That is false, the scientists that have been studying climatology are scientists, not leftists politicians, their results, their data, are not leftist politicians either. THe left certainly uses global warming to its own effect, if it favoured the right, the right would use it to. Neither the left nor the right has anythign to do with the scientific evidence that the earth is warming and that it is due to CO2 increases.

Where was Al Gore and his movie when he was Vice President?

A good argument for Gore being a political hack trying to garner support for himself. At the same time, its not an arguement for global warming being false.

I posted evidence that goes against the fact that their is some kind of "global warming" crisis going on.

You posted no such thing. You merely noted that some ice sheets are growing. This is not any new information. Please explain how an increase in atmospheric CO2 levels, to concentrations that are the same as at previous times of 'hothouse' conditions, somehow, magically, isn't causing the current increase in warming?

in many parts of the world the Earth is growing colder

That is simply not relevant. Some places are warming, others have had cooling, overall the planet is warming.

I also, feel that his movie and articles (like last months Time cover story) are over-hyping the danger, and human casue of "global warming".

Is he overhyping it or is it false? WHich is it? THere is no such thing as global warming, or Al Gore is a politician?

Agit8dChop
Ask people in Venice, where the water level... is indeed rising.

This is a perfect example of something that has nothing to do with global warming but is emotive and propagandistic and can be used to fuel the politics of global warming.
Venice is not sinking becuase of rising sea levels, and venice has been sinking since the pre-industrail era.
This current heatwave on teh east coast is cooler that previous heat waves on the east coast.
New Orleans was flooded because it was built below sea level and the retianing walls were poorly designed.
Does that mean that there is no such thing as global warming? Of course not, it has nothing to do with global warming. You can't say that global increases in atmospheric concentrations of CO2 caused any particular heat wave in a region of the planet, or any particular hurricane, or anything like that. Its simply got nothing to do with it.

enkidu
and make a lot more land (much of northern Asia) suitable for growing crops.

You cannot predict with any degree of certainty what the precise results of global warming will be. Areas that receive little rainfall today might experience extreme annual cycles, having monsoons for part of the year and then absolute drought for the rest. Places that are breadbaskets today, like the central US, might become agriculturally useless deserts in the future.
Global Warming is change. It might be 'good' for people living in arabia to have all the world's oil AND most of the world's food, but I doubt that that's something anyone of us would want to work for.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
RIGHT....global warming is just an evil liberal plot to take away our SUV's and it is actually caused by farting cows.

Pat the fool on the head and give him a cookie.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
1st off. It seems to me that the OP has decided that global warming is a partisan issue and therefore since the "leftist" Al Gore is trying to inform the public that global warming is happening then it is his duty to try oppose this "leftist" notion...which is unfortunate.
Global warming is real. This is as undebatable as the earth is round or that I am crazy

The question is, whether humans are the cause for the current raise in temperature. Evidence supports the claim, however, due to the way science is done, the only way we can know for sure, is to put the earth through some giant global warming experiment. Since this is pretty much impossible, the next best thing we can do is find some sort of correlation between the last 50 years and the temperature.
Since CO2 has an effect in temperature, and since the last 50 years have seen a rise in CO2 emitting sources, it is shown the the two are correlated; HOWEVER, correlation does not mean causation. So when it all comes down to it, we can never say that humans ARE the cause, we can only say that based on all the evidence, it is highly probable that human activities are playing a factor is the current global warming cycle.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Actually if there is any debate on the issue google this... Pentagon 2003/04 Climate Change Report and download the PDF... it is a very sobering report by some very sober people.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join