It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI covering up confirmed alien signals?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Btw, guys, there's a big difference between SETI and Seti@Home.

SETI is a field of study conducted both at universities and private enterprises or groups, a SETI group can be anything from real scientific research to some of the Prophet Jahweh types that form a SETI group.

Seti@Home is the SETI project conducted at the University of Berkeley which uses distributed computing to analyze signals recorded at Aracebo.

Seti@Home is only accepting open donations these days and is strapped for cash.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
they did get millions of people to download their program and let it run all day and night under the guise of finding intelligent life. i wouldn't be surprised in the least if it sends tracking data back to some covert gov't agency and has very very little to do with actual signal decoding.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

professional SETI watcher Steven Greer...

Need I say more...?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Nope, sorry but no sigar.

Both Boinc and Seti@Home apps are opensource and free to edit.

You can edit the app and run it with your own optimizations, as long as the results it returns are still valid.

And the apps have both been disected like crazy over the years and they are clean.

Next to that, BOINC is also used by plenty of others science projects.

Most people that see a conspiracy around the Seti@Home project go from the assumption that the results returned by clients are instant WOW or NO results.

Which shows how little they know about how the scientific process around Seti@Home works.

Next to every signal being verified and double checked 4 to 5 times (every WU is sent out untill there are 4 same results returned) every signal is put in the database for crossreferencing lateron.

Most people working on S@H are parttimers, most of the lead people working on Seti have primary jobs on other projectects (like development of satellites and such).

Then, if you know anything about databases, you also know that in a database that holds over 4 billion result sets with multiple data fields, its not simple or easy to compare and find equal signals or its not simple or easy to map everything out.

S@H is now in a stage where they are getting ready to compare the results they have gathered, getting ready to resend promissing results for another check (creating applications and building servers to do all these things with) and getting ready to take on 10x the data they did before thanks to the new multibeam datarecorder they built.

What you have with S@H is an underfunded small crew project that has the workload and data footprint of a mega corporation.

Thats why everything takes a long time and thats why we need to keep supporting them with everything we got. Even if they come up with no results, imho its a nobble effort on their part and worth rewarding with support.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I personally beliee they HAVE picked up signals/transmissions that they KNOW are not earthly in origin. Now, IMHO, i don't think any company/organisation etc would go through millions and continue to operate if they have not, by this stage, found anything worth continuing for. Further to this, I doubt very very much if they would even divulge the information if and when they do pick something up. And why should they? We aren't the ones funding them so why should they inform us on what they find?!

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
so its a search for an alien signals right?so they atleast believe there are "other" life forms thats why they made all of this right?
so so many people help the project by runing this PROGRAm on theyr computers and wasting time and theyr computer to process data without payment of any kind dont u think we the public atleast deserve to know WHEN a alien signal is detected?what are they triyng to hide?WHAT!??they search for alien signals so theres nothin to hide.after using our time and hardware to process theyr data (no tha i want payment or somethin) the only thing we want is to be the ones that get to know AND THEY DONT EVEN give that to us...if this is true then **** THEM!ill never install this program... corruptive *******

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I've been up way too long so please forgive me if this isn't at all relative.

One thing, seti wouldn't transmit a signal.. waiting for a reply of sorts would be futile for the following reason, which I haven't seen around here a lot despite it's pretty common knowledge.

I'm basing my example on the WOW-signal.

The signal originated somewhere in the direction of Sagitarius. the closest star in that direction is 220 ly away.

now of course the signal, if not a glitch (not ruled out), could also have originated anywhere between say 1 ly away and sagitarius.
but lets assume it's a signal coming from a planet around that star 220 ly away.

by the time we received the signal here that signal would have been 220 years old, as in broadcast 220 years ago.
say you would want to try and entice another signal from there and would send a transmission, you'd have to wait a whopping 440 years at the minimum to get a reply.
and that's not even that far away with the dimensions of space being as they are.

somehow I just see to many people, another example, believing what they see in pretty hubble pictures to be the state stuff is in now.
but since light travels at lighspeed everything you see is in the universe from here is as far in the past as it is distant. If you look at a supernova e.g. 1000 ly from here you're seeing a nova that happened a 1000 years ago.
same applies to radio signals.

ow well. I got the sneaky feeling im completely off topic. my brains fried from being up too long
forgive me

anyway, I don't need seti to prove the existence of eti's. I already know they are out there.. it's a probability thing.

And as for the use of actually receiving a signal apart from verifying what we already know (common sense, logic and probability), I don't have a clue.

If we receive a signal from somewhere near a star 1000ly away the civilization that sent it might be long extinct or at the very least heavily changed, since a 1000 years have passed for the signal we picked up to reach us or in other words it was transmitted a 1000 years ago.

Untill we find a real world equivalent of subspace communications or stargates etc. interstellar communication isn't really practical.

Seti to me, while intruiging, is well.. throwing money away that could be used for more pressing matters.
Simply because the only thing it can do in regard to eti's is verify somewhat that there's is intelligent life out in the universe... Well... what else is new? It's most likely, and i mean 99.9999....% for sure teaming with life out there. Scientist in the current day and age don't even dispute that anymore at all.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I think everyone needs to look into the "wow" signal back in the 70s, something going counter to the belief that "SETI has never found anything", also, I find Art Bell's credibility to be very low, he has carried water for the gov't on 9/11 on numerous occasions.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I think everyone needs to look into the "wow" signal back in the 70s, something going counter to the belief that "SETI has never found anything", also, I find Art Bell's credibility to be very low, he has carried water for the gov't on 9/11 on numerous occasions.

the wow signal has been looked over quite thoroughly up till recent years.
the data available is just too limited. the equipment they had back then was limited (they didn't even have any audio available of the signal not live and not recorded.. only visual)

the guy that found the signal has extensive info on it online. and not even he can remember exactly to the settings in the software etc. which all influence the analisys, an eti can't be ruled out, he did rule out almost all terrestial explanations.

for all the data on the wow signal, written by the guy who noticed it and put the famous red wow in the print out margin can be found here:

The Big Ear Wow! Signal:
What We Know And Don't Know About It After 20 Years
and What Is the Significance of 6EQUJ5?

be warned the first one is highly technical.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
David, I think the important thing is that no one has an explanation of it even after all these years and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think human satellites, spacecraft, and probes were ruled out as possible causes.

If you don't have that, terrestrial sources, or astronomical sources, it pretty much has to be eti, right?

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
David, I think the important thing is that no one has an explanation of it even after all these years and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think human satellites, spacecraft, and probes were ruled out as possible causes.

If you don't have that, terrestrial sources, or astronomical sources, it pretty much has to be eti, right?

re-read what i said... I said terrestial sources were ruled out, I also said an Eti could not be ruled out..
I didn't say there were terrestial option left open.
The glitch thing is me just never excluding a glitch, especially if the place this was received at/with doesn't exist anymore and you can't check at all.
(Big Ear is a golf course now... such a waste..)

But if you wish I can be far more specific as to what has been specifically ruled out:

-ETI could not be ruled out.
-Planets were ruled out.
-Asteroids were ruled out.
-Satellites were ruled out.
-Aircraft were ruled out.
-Spacecraft were ruled out (I mean our spacecraft
)
-Ground-Based Transmitters were ruled out.
-A possible glitch on the other hand was never mentioned. To stay honest I'd have to put Glitch not ruled out here.

Other theories, results from the research by the original people involved with the wow signal:

-Possible gravitational lensing might have obscured the real point in the sky the signal was coming from.

-Somekind of enhancement from travelling through interstellar medium occured on the Wow signal verifying the distance of the origin is at least lightyears. which adds to the possibility of an Eti. (don't ask me to explain this further this goes beyond my technical knowledge on the subject. read the first link I provided. it's in the theories chapter under Interstellar Scintillation.)

and for the last, about ETI origins I'll quote Dr. Jerry Ehman himself from his work provided in the first link:

ETI

Thus, since all of the possibilities of a terrestrial origin have been either ruled out or seem improbable, and since the possibility of an extraterrestrial origin has not been able to be ruled out, I must conclude that an ETI (ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence) might have sent the signal that we received as the Wow! source. Of course, being a scientist, I await the reception of additional signals like the Wow! source that are able to be received and analyzed by many observatories. Thus, I must state that the origin of the Wow! signal is still an open question for me. There is simply too little data to draw many conclusions. In other words, as I stated above, I choose not to "draw vast conclusions from 'half-vast' data". - Dr. Jerry Ehman

for the rest read the end part of my post. I just don't see the importance of this. (that doesn't mean I don't find this as fascinating as you do)

The universe is teaming with intelligent life, I don't need a seti signal to prove that to me, You just can't get around the odds and that's proof enough in my opinion.
Just an example, people are dieing from hunger and disease by the bucketload every year.... and we are spending money listening for a signal that will prove what we already know to be true.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
anyone who believes a word of what steven greer says needs to re-examine their belief system.

How could anyone block signals from space simultaneously all over the word? There are seti telescopes in usa , europe , australia

Greer has been challenged to reveal his "2 sources" inside SETI with no repurcussions to those people but he still hasnt named them.......

This is the guy who posts pictures of Moths on his orgas website and tries to pass them off as extra terrestrial.

www.cseti.org...

[edit on 27-4-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I also agree that by being a part of the S@H progect it should allow us special priviledge. We should be able to acces current information on progress and also be notified of any new findings before it goes public. I was very excited to join s@H back in 2000 however after I had a bonafied real contact occur at my home (dont care if you believe it or not)and NOTHING from S@H, I realized that it was not what it was supposed to be and could only endanger my computer by running unchecked all night long, I lost trust in something I was so excited about in the beginning.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

"This person, if I were to say who he is, almost every one your listeners would probably known the name," Greer said.

A friend of mine, you all know of him, but I won't tell you the name...
Sounds like disinformation to me. Would that not be the best method of spreading disinformation? Claiming you have a highly credible source but not revealing it.

Here's pictures of bug shaped UFOs..

Is it just me or is Greer turning completely insane?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by da king
y would they send us radio frequency n signal why wont they jus send us a laser or some other type of signal that we haven't even conqured yet i mean discoverd so maybe we are being sent signal but we aren't recieving because maybe out technology is lower then there.

I like the theory about SETI being a search program, but not necessarily a public information program. Maybe they've received something and they're not releasing it and maybe they haven't received anything at all. Chances are, we'll never know.

But, I don't beleive aliens species would make contact with another species until they've reached a certain level of intelligence. As in, almost no wars, and much more advanced technologies. They probably won't make contact until we really begin exploring our solar system. Not just in probe form, but manned missions. After all, that's what they're probably doing.

Contact with another world's culture that hasn't surpassed their religious differences could lead to they're annihlation. To that planet it could look like ... well, I guess that coming of the antichrist or rapture. There would be mass hysteria.

I'm not saying that's what would happen with our planet. I think many cultures would freak out, but I believe we're at the fringe of making that break through. Maybe another 100-200 years.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Why the hell would an organisation set up to prove the existence of ET life cover up confirmed signals?
It is Illogical!

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
haha ozvulcan so true- but you have to remember what some of the poeple are like here.

Some are convinced the government has made contact with ETs and anything that goes against their idea must be part of a government conspiracy.

Even the fact SETI isnt even government funded and relies on donations doesnt deter them. They will make up a story about diverted money or "stooges" like paul allen (microsoft guy who donated $11.5million for the Allen telescope array)

sad but true. I hope we find a frickin signal to shut these people up.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

"They have had numerous extraterrestrial signals," Greer said, during the radio broadcast. "They were apparently searching in a spectrum or in an area . . . where they hit the mother-load. The signals were so numerous that they began to have their systems externally jammed by some sort of human agency that did not want them to continue receiving those signals."

So what's the frequency Steven?... or is it an area. Reason suggests both. Just tell us thefrequency and coordinates, we'll take it from there. Thank you, no need to divulge whom your deep cover sources are

Do moths have RF transmitters? They have antennae!

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Before the following, I'd just like to say that I wouldn't believe Greer if my life depended on it.

I have been using S@H for about over half a year now, and the project has my full support. If we don't look we'll never find.

However, I do not subscribe to the belief that because I am supporting this research that I am privy to any special treatment in the event of a definitive signal being received. I am a member of the public. The right to know first-hand or at least in advance, would come if I worked on my physics, became highly qualified in the field, attained a position within it and worked high-up and hands-on in SETI or akin projects.

The protocol for the discovery of ETI is pretty strict, and would not allow SETI to disclose information anyway. Approval must be given by everyone in the UN before empirical proof of ETIs would be able to be released. There are very good reasons for this, other than the failure to attain said approval would kickstart a world war.

The current global climate is in no way ready for this kind of discovery. People interested and educated in the field know that there are other forms of life in the universe, intelligent or not. But there are still wars being fought in the name of religion and even less. A discovery that human intelligence is not special in the universe has potentially catastrophic ramifications. The Catholic Church is still one of the largest and richest institutions in the world, and it's worth bearing examples like that in mind.

It is true that the universe is seemingly contrived for life, and this observation alone causes enough discussion and conflict (both on the scientific stage and the world in general). Proof of ETIs has implications for the fundaments of how we view ourselves as a united world, and is a potent soil from which religious backlash and general hysteria from the majority of the population would flourish exponentially.

As interesting as the field is, there is much more we can learn about the universe without homing in on whether or not someone is keeping aliens from us. The fact is, it's probably just as well that they are.

I don't see this as a reason not to support the work of those in the field.

[edit on 14-9-2007 by Dumbfirefly]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm guessing they would cover up anything found that would or could be extra-terrestrial. The gov doesnt want that type of information disclosed to people at this point it would seem, and they wont let some company find proof of aliens right under their nose. in the vastness of the universe, there is a guarentee that there is other beings existing at the same time as us, and some that can see us with their tech. Pretty much, I wouldnt believe SETI or anyone anymore, since they hide just about everything from the common people. If they cover up ANYTHING, and they do, like the renovations of old prisons across the country, for a massive influx of prisoners, Area 51, or MKULTRA, or any of the countless other things that have been covered up untill 30 years or more later, or never uncovered officially at all, it is to be expected that whatever is found out about is only a fraction of how much is really being covered up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join