It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia & Morocco may buy Rafales

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
A new defence deal signed between France and Saudi Arabia may perhaps include Rafale's. Check this :

Paris, France (AHN) - On Friday, French President Jacques Chirac and Saudi Arabia Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud signed two defense deals that could pave way for purchase of French helicopters, submarines, tanks and possibly Rafale fighter jets.

The deal was signed during Saudi Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud's visit to Paris.

French president Jacques Chirac told reporters after signing deals in his office, "These accords will reinforce the link of partnership for development and security between the two countries. It is testimony to the friendship and confidence that mark our relations."

www.allheadlinenews.com...

This comes after the UK had sealed a deal for several Eurofighters but there is certianly hope left for the Rafale

And Morocco are likely customers according to reports :

PARIS (AFX) - The Moroccan government is considering the purchase of 12-18 Rafale fighter jets from Dassault Aviation, (Nachrichten) according to Wednesday's La Tribune.

www.finanznachrichten.de...

The prospective deal is likely to financed by the Saudis according to the link.

[edit on 23/7/06 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
France is desperate for any sort of deal on the Rafale and treats its production like an elaborate jobs program. If it goes through Ill bet that they are cutting quite a deal for the plane.

On the other hand I understand that the strike version is in production now so that may also boost sales.

However, the EF Typhoon is a better aircraft IMHO, will have a must broader user base and if they already have them on order it makes little sence to add another type to your inventory

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
From what I see here, this deal looks like a political payout for something. Looks like that contrct is worth just enough to put money in somebody's pockets without really doing much for the Saudi air force.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
France is desperate for any sort of deal on the Rafale and treats its production like an elaborate jobs program. If it goes through Ill bet that they are cutting quite a deal for the plane.

On the other hand I understand that the strike version is in production now so that may also boost sales.

However, the EF Typhoon is a better aircraft IMHO, will have a must broader user base and if they already have them on order it makes little sence to add another type to your inventory

Yes, I much agree with you. Since Typhoon has some better capability as higher T/W rate, more weapon load, lower transonic drag. I think that if no political reason, Saudi should buy Typhoon not Rafale.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I was just think about something.

This could be punishment for Britain who was trying to cut a deal for the Eurofighter with saudi arabia and Since Britain has allowed Israel to attack Lebanon, Saudi Arabia could be trying to punish Britain by buying French weapons instead making Britain lose out on a multi billion dollar deal. Maybe?

And i think alot of people are under-estimating the capabilities of the Rafale aircraft VS Eurofighter. And the French arn't exactly going to sell the aircraft for no profit either. The Rafale is a highly capable aircraft lets not underestimate is capabilites.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
No, I think that just for cut price of EF2000

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Any ideas if it will be the C or the b version??

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
This could be punishment for Britain who was trying to cut a deal for the Eurofighter with saudi arabia and Since Britain has allowed Israel to attack Lebanon, Saudi Arabia could be trying to punish Britain by buying French weapons instead making Britain lose out on a multi billion dollar deal. Maybe?

With the greatest respect, how can Britain "allow" Israel to attack the Lebanon? Israel have demonstrated an inability to listen to any nation!

Now, back to topic...

The deal by Saudi to procure circa 48 Typhoon, plus options is more an extension of the Al Yamamah deal, which has worked pretty well for Saudi and BAE.

I doubt Rafale is in the picture anymore as the Typhoon deal is done. I am sure other equipment sourced from France would be considered, but exactly what the Saudi's need is the question, because anything else is just Chirac's ego.

Regards

Regards

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
doesnt the sauidi airforce already fly a mix of aircraft?
american and british (get french aswell ) more planes in inventory

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I've been reading a number of threads concerning the Indian Air Force and the astonishing variety of aircraft they have in front line service, many of which fulfil similar roles. The Saudis, admittedly to a lesser extent, seem unworried about going down the same path. The operational disadvantages of this approach seem pretty obvious. But are their any compensating operational advantages? Am I missing something? Variety might be the spice of life but buying both Eurofighter and Rafele seems nuts.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
And i think alot of people are under-estimating the capabilities of the Rafale aircraft VS Eurofighter. And the French arn't exactly going to sell the aircraft for no profit either. The Rafale is a highly capable aircraft lets not underestimate is capabilites.

It is a excellent aircraft but its biggest shortcomming is its lack of sales. Few planes means fewer developments unless the French government is willing to eat up tax Euros to creat jobs which is possible.

I would agree with the assesment that this may smack of a payoff of sorts which the Saudi's are known to do.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Morocco already has extensively upgraded Mirage F1s in service (with MICA BVR AAMs) so Rafale is an obvious choice. Algeria is another likely Rafale customer. But Saudis - I doubt it.

They already buy French warships (F2000 & F3000) so more of thise, plus subs was expected. The tanks probably relates to armored fighting vehicles although if the Leclerc gets another customer out of this..

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hi planeman:
I saw you said Algeria? How can you image such penniless nation in world will buy Rafale which price is higher than others as same capability?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Hi planeman:
I saw you said Algeria? How can you image such penniless nation in world will buy Rafale which price is higher than others as same capability?

They have also ordered Su-30s... Most of the countries in the world have better things to spend on than weapons but they still do...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
doesnt the sauidi airforce already fly a mix of aircraft?
american and british (get french aswell ) more planes in inventory

Actually the Saudi's field only US and British combat aircraft, as follows:

F15C - 62
F15D - 30
F15S - 71
Tornado ADV - 22
Tornado IDS - 84

In addition they have circa 93 F5s in storage.

The only French kit in their inventory appears to be Aerospatiale Cougar and Panther helicopters in army and navy service and an Airbus A340-200 in the Royal Flight.

Source Flight International Directory of Military Aircraft 2004 where it was speculated that Typhoon or F16 may replace the F5 stock - this was 2004 speculation mind.

Regards

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I thought the Eurofighter deal between the UK and Saudi Arabia was a done deal?!

- Saudi To Buy 72 Eurofighters for $58 Billion: Report
- BAE cuts Eurofighter price by 10% to clinch Saudi deal

Would they really need additional Rafales, besides the 72 Eurofighters? They must be expecting trouble ahead.
It's understandable the French are pushing their Rafale's into the fighter market, but in my opinion they should concentrate on India, instead of the Saudi's.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

Anybody else see something odd about this?

$58,000,000,000 / 72 = $805,555,556 per plane. I understand its not just the plane thats being sold, we have support, training, parts, weapons, etc. But $805 million a copy? Um, thats three times the price of a Raptor...How is this a good deal?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
To skippytjc

I think it might be a accident in reporting.

I think the actual value was supposed to be about $10 billion not $58 billion dollars.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I personally think that is still way too much.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

Anybody else see something odd about this?

$58,000,000,000 / 72 = $805,555,556 per plane. I understand its not just the plane thats being sold, we have support, training, parts, weapons, etc. But $805 million a copy? Um, thats three times the price of a Raptor...How is this a good deal?

You're right, the title of the article is incorrect. The article itself states:

Britain will sign a deal with Saudi Arabia before the end of July to supply the kingdom with 72 Eurofighter Typhoon jets in a deal worth far less than the expected price tag of 31 billion pounds (45.5 billion euros, $57.9 billion), a report said May 22.

So the title should have been: "Saudi To Buy 72 Eurofighters for far less than $58 Billion"

As iqonx pointed out, the contract is worth a total of $10 Billion.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Its still odd that they mention that number at all don’t you think?

Its like saying: "He bought that cheeseburger for FAR LESS than $350". Well of course, why not just say the amount?

10 billion is not even remotely close to 58 billion, not even a ball park figure, its just odd.

And for the record, $10 billion is still $138,888,888.89 a copy, certainly in F22 territory. I say they just commit to the Lightning II...

[edit on 25-7-2006 by skippytjc]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join