It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's helmets with face covers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is interesting. Soldiers go to war. They can get killed easily. They wear helmets and kevlar vest (or whatever other new vests they wear today). However. a normal helmet doesn't offer full face protection. Russia has a helmet with face covering. I think that's good, cuz it offers protection of the face. Cuz if you gonna get shot betwean the eyes, you gonna die. I don't know if other countries have this helmets, but if they don't they should get them. They are the best thing in some situation, especially in buildings, or where the shooting is at close range. Well, they are good in situations. And, you can pull the face cover up whenever you want to so you don't get too stuffy. Good stuff.

Here is some pictures

In this pictures, the cover is pulled back, but it can be pulled over the face whenever needed.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I like the idea,but it looks like it might cut down on the peripheral vision a bit. Then again,i could be wrong and they're fine,seeing as how i havent worn one. I've always wanted to see a full face helmet,but something along the lines of motocross helmets. The individual comms can be place in the helmet itself,but this might become to hot inside to become practical.Nice find though.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Looks like we are using something back from the Middle Ages and applying it to the 21st century warfare.
But it can narrow your vision, but theres a reason why its called tradeoff.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The reason for the face covering is not for protecting against getting shot between the eyes.
Its to protect from explosions, dust, smoke, gases, richochet's, and fire.
Firemen wear full face covering for the same reason, essentially.

And of course if you are swatting a democratic protest, you're storm troopers
need to prevent themselves from being punched in the face or having a bottle
or rock knock their eye out or break there nose.

I also hear it provides +10 protection from Jedi Mind Tricks.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Lol, yeah I've seen the covers SWAT teams use. They are made of transparent material. The ones the Russians are using look much tougher, though, they too have a little piece of transparent material, but its smaller. It is, of coursel, needed so that the soldier can see. In some situations, this type of helmet is unbeatable. Well, there is a better way-send in a robot soldier or something like that. But we ain't gonna see armies made of those anytime soon, so for now, wear your helmets! If you ask me, this helmet resembles those that blacksmiths use when they sharp metal or use torches.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Problem with full face masks is that aiming with rifles/carbines is pretty difficult, because you can't rest your cheek on the stock... in addition to FOV restrictions and heat problems. (simple way to try is use an Painball mask with an Airsoft Rifle
)

I personally would ditch that kind of a mask as soon as i could. Exept if i was a point man in building raids... in that mission i'll take all the armor i can find.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Northwolf, I was just gonna type that.

I play airsoft but I only wear glasses because I cant stand face masks because you cant cheek the weapon. I hear you get paintball goggles that have little fans built in so when the visor gets fogged up you press the button and its clear in a second.

Maybe this could be practical if you have a red-scope mounted ontop, (or have a grendade launcher) then you wont neccesarily need to cheek the gun fully, just extend the stock

It does make sense to have a working face mask protection for soldiers, they should invest more into the technology.

Peace*

[edit on 20-7-2006 by Zenem]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The main problem with face masks is shrapnel when they are hit. Although there are materials and design techniques which limit or completly stop shrapnel the problem with those is they will only work on certain types of ammunition which can be stopped by the face mask if there is any ammo that penatrates the mask it will also crack the casing and cause extra shrapnel damage to the face.

Another thing to worry about is when the bullet hits the face mask it deforms/tumbles the bullet(depending on the level of strengt of the material used in the mask) which can cause even greater damage on impact to the person wearing the mask.

The only masks currently available which are 100% safe can only take hits from small arms and small calibre ammunition such as 9mm, .40 etc.... thats why SWAT teams will wear them and not any military group becuase they face larger calibre rounds.

Although work is being done to make a safe workable face mask by America and some european countries which can be used on the battle field by soldiers facing 5.56 and 7.62 ammo.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Also i wanted to add.

The masks shown on the russia soldiers above i think only have level II or IIa protection but thats not there main role the main role is to protect the face and neck from shrapnel from bombs and hand grenades thats why they are used. They will stand no chance against a 7.62x39 ammo even at 300m or even 5.56 ammo.

Thats why glasses are worn underneath becuase when the face mask is hit with bomb shrapnel it could shatter the see-through screen and cause internal shrapnel to form and the glasses are then used to stop the fragments on the inside of the mask tearing into the eyes of the soldiers.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Yeah, I didn't think it would stop an assualt rifle bullet-its too thin. By the way, I already mentioned that you could pull it back if you wanted to aim your weapon or if it got stuffy.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
But I am sure it can stop 9mm bullets. If it couldn't, then it would probably not be able to stop shrapanel either. The see through glass part of the helmet HAS to be bulletproof glass. Russia knows better then to use any other glass. Any other glass would only hurt the soldier even more when hit. It has to be bulletproof.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
can you get a standard respirator under one ? the clearence looks too close to me .

the polycarbonate clear ones used in NI and other places -- are far bigger - and obviously give far better vision and ventilation .

as stated -- it looks cool -- and would be great for AFV crew - and point man in building entry

but its pretty havy , and when its up -- its dead weight , but when its down -- its going to get hot fast and hell for vision and weapon aiming

also -- it has the scary factor , which sometimes is good -- but most often will be counter productive -- you often want real eye contact with people , having them staring at a visor is not a good diplomatic / negotiation position

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Isnt shooting in the head on a moving target kind of hard? Doesnt everyone shoot in the heart b/c its easier? Face plates wouldnt make a whole lot of a difference besides shielding from gernade fragments I think. The US's 2020 plan involves faceplates with a screen in them that will tell you your health and will give a GPS miniscreen. Also they are thinking about putting medicine patches on the suites so when you get hurt the computer will automatically apply the correct medicine needed. And all of their 2020 soldiers will be able to cloak. And will have far more sophisticated weapons than modern ones. Like rail gun tanks and lasers powered by chemicles. Or even better is battery operated lasers. But all of that comes in not so distant future but it is actully pretty far away. Let us hope that the world doesnt end and the bible is fake so we can prosper for all time of this universe.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spanishcaravan
I like the idea,but it looks like it might cut down on the peripheral vision a bit. Then again,i could be wrong and they're fine,seeing as how i havent worn one. I've always wanted to see a full face helmet,but something along the lines of motocross helmets. The individual comms can be place in the helmet itself,but this might become to hot inside to become practical.Nice find though.

US 2020 helmets look alot like motocross helmets.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildcat
Isnt shooting in the head on a moving target kind of hard? Doesnt everyone shoot in the heart b/c its easier? Face plates wouldnt make a whole lot of a difference besides shielding from gernade fragments I think. The US's 2020 plan involves faceplates with a screen in them that will tell you your health and will give a GPS miniscreen. Also they are thinking about putting medicine patches on the suites so when you get hurt the computer will automatically apply the correct medicine needed. And all of their 2020 soldiers will be able to cloak. And will have far more sophisticated weapons than modern ones. Like rail gun tanks and lasers powered by chemicles. Or even better is battery operated lasers. But all of that comes in not so distant future but it is actully pretty far away. Let us hope that the world doesnt end and the bible is fake so we can prosper for all time of this universe.

Yo! Dat stuff ain't gonna be out by 2020! Ain't gonna!

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Technology is growing faster than the journalists can write these days. 2020? Oh I made a mistake it was the 2025 plan not 2020. Sure that stuff wont be out in 2020 but just wait five years until it is.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
That looks like it could be nice for those guys in the Humvees...

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
By the way, I already mentioned that you could pull it back if you wanted to aim your weapon or if it got stuffy.

surely when you aim the rifle your in the middle of a fire fight with bullets and fragments of stuff flying around. in which case you need the extra protection most. and methinks it would get stuffy most of the time.

good idea but not practical at the moment.

justin

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Its a good idea. PRoblem is in all of the pictures you see posted here the helment visor is in the up position.

I agree with some of the posters it would be awkward.

Also I think some of you have never worn extensive safety equipment. Glasses,Goggles, Visors, hearing protection et al. This design as someone aptly posted can get very stuffy and fogging up your vision.

Alot of plastic here. It can get severely scratched up. Also reflect alot of light in the correct angles to a light source.

This type of helment is a good idea for police ie...crowd control etc.

Militarily it reminds me of my Japanese 7.7 Arisaka rifle. It has a protective cover over the bolt which has a slot in it so that the bolt can open and close when cycling. This cover slides on groves machined in the side of the receiver. It protects the operating mechanism from dirt and foreign materials. The soldiers found that it rattled noisely in combat and discarded this cover quickly.

My thoughts on this intresting item.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
orangetom

ever tried riotgear with gasmask and riot visor, crappy feeling when temperature rises to +30C

This belongs to the gear that flies off to the woods immediately after you're out of brass' sight

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join