It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods applaud members, so why not- Members applaud mods?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Just a thought that occured to me. Wouldn't it be kinda neat if all the members could applaud a mod, for say, I dunno 50 points or something awarded to the mod. I figure less because they are way more members than mods, and hence probably way more applauses. And who knows, maybe it could be somewhat limited. But still, even if it were for the same points (250 or 1500), and not really for the points, but just for the pat on the back, good idea, or good post, and left totally to the member's discretion, no formula, just like the mods can do. Except the members could only applaud mods. Any member with a member applause button could still only do that.

Of course, to pull it off would have to defer to SO, but on the surface seems plausible cause there are only a limited number that would be able to receive member applause points. And hell, you could skip the u2u's if desired to lessen or eliminate the u2u load. Then again, with SO in option mode these days, maybe he could even make that an option for the mods to control as they would like. Just an idea, whatchas think...

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Isn't the position as a Mod there to show you aren't just 'any other' user anyway? I think being a Mod shows you know whats what and they won't go round making idle claims or the such.

IMO, being a Mod is a reward in itself.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
You know, this isn't such a bad idea. I'm not sure about how to work the point but I am sure some sort of system could be developed.

I have seen posts or actions by mods on various occasions that have served to uphold ATS rules and regs. Many times, I have seen mods gently nudge "heated" conversations back on track without alienating, embarassing or belittling anyone. Talk about being diplomatic, I think if some of our mods were politicians or diplomatic representatives our nation, we'd all be better off. "here here" to a great idea.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Nah. Applause's are there to acknowledge a special effort made by a member. The fact that mods are mods is recognition enough of how much they have contributed to ATS.

And anyways, they have enough points already!

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
I think being a Mod shows you know whats what and they won't go round making idle claims or the such.

Yeah right! That's funny

JAK

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
This topic has been touched upon many time before and always I think with the same response from staff, one that I wholeheartedly agree with. That being that there is no need for staff applause, if desired a single U2U can make your Moderators positively dance with glee. (I've seen it with my own eyes, UK Wizard got so carried away that he acidentally trod on his tin foil hat.)

Seriously, it takes time and effort and is always gratefully recieved and appreciated.

Jak

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Ditto with the Jakmeister.

(*Hallmark cards ad voice*) Why just click a button, when you can say so much more with a personalised U2U?

ATS U2U's...bringing mods and members together since 1997.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
Isn't the position as a Mod there to show you aren't just 'any other' user anyway? I think being a Mod shows you know whats what and they won't go round making idle claims or the such.

IMO, being a Mod is a reward in itself.

Thats a BIG assumption there.
Mods are fallible people who happen to get on the good side of a site adminstrator either by brown nosing, agreeing with the admins view point, being generally polite even if they are completely wrong all the time, by asking the admin if they can be a mod and providing a good reason as the admin would rather not have to deal with all the idiot posts that come along anyway, being around nearly 24/7 for years because they collect a "crazy check" and don't have to work on anything else, do the admins dishes take out the trash, chase away the voices in the admin's head, oh there so many reasons mods are mods, being right all the time definately isn't one of them though.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by Legalizer]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer

Thats a BIG assumption there.
Mods are falible people who happen to get on the good side of a site adminstrator either by brown nosing, agreeing with the admins view point, being generally polite even if they are completely wrong all the time, by asking the admin if they can be a mod and providing a good reason as the admin would rather not have to deal with all the idiot posts that come along anyway, oh there so many reasons mods are mods, being right all the time definately isn't one of them though.

bolding and italics mine

Thanks for the in-depth report on how I and others have become moderators. Can I use it for my resume?

Just for the record, it's been my experience that you couldn't be more wrong in this. For one thing, asking to be a mod is about the worst thing you can do. But, I'm not going to give out the real reason some members become mods because then we'd have 65,000 moderators.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The appropriate thing to do is to thank them for all their hard work. I think that's appreciated by them, when you point this out.

While we're on the subject, I would like to thank the mods for working so hard to give us a great community in which to post.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Yep. I had the same problem, and the suggestion was also to send a U2U to a mod that impressed me. And I find it works like a charm. I get to suck up to mods on a personal level. (Just a note - They don't accept sexual favours in return for "special treatment". Some do accept beer though...)

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Gosh...sorry to be SO SLOW to get here.........wonderfull summer for gardening and watching stars........

If you want to applaud a mod....easy as pie..(hint hint)...tell me.
Tell ANY councilor........we can applaud moderators

and can help you out with that VERY thing

....we even tell them who it is from....

.....................................just sayin
ATS Counciors...not just for being pointed at and laughed at anymore......

[edit on 19-7-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Nah...

It'd just turn into a case of one member, using the applaude button when another is punsihed. It's the last thing we need. The Mods do a great job on this site, there is also a great ability to challenge their rulings by using the complaints function. However, I don't see how applauding them would do any benefit for their actions. Especailly since they already get applauded by Councilors, if they make a worthwhile post like the rest of us.

All I see this doing, would be one group applauding certain mods when someone is punished or a post edited.

[edit on 19/7/2006 by Odium]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Especailly since they already get applauded by other mods, if they make a worthwhile post like the rest of us.

Only councillors (and maybe FSMEs) can applaud mods. Mods applauding mods would be a little...incestuous.

[edit on 2006-7-19 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Originally posted by Odium
Especailly since they already get applauded by other mods, if they make a worthwhile post like the rest of us.

Only councillors (and maybe FSMEs) can applaud mods. Mods applauding mods would be a little...incestuous.

[edit on 2006-7-19 by wecomeinpeace]

Ohh, edited then. Thought you could, little bit of behind the scenes payments going on.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
After reading this thread through again, I've resolved to present Mods with my own personal "attaboy" (or girl....as the case may be -- or should it be an "attaperson" just to be politically correct?) via U2U.

On many occasions I've seen good threads start that long spiral into the morass of name calling and meaningless arguments saved by the actions of a single post made by a Mod. This deserves something and, if nothing else, it will be a U2U that simply says that "I've noticed a Mods actions and influence" and that I think that they have, certainly, "done a good job".

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
...it will be a U2U that simply says that "I've noticed a Mods actions and influence" and that I think that they have, certainly, "done a good job".

And don't forget to include "Please do not respond to this U2U."

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

For what purpose? I mean, I think everyone can appreciate being told 'hey, good job', but, why bother with a formalized system? Mods don't need the points, if nothing else.

Just buy us beer!!!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Just buy us beer!!!!!

Told ya so! ...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

For what purpose? I mean, I think everyone can appreciate being told 'hey, good job', but, why bother with a formalized system?

Well, one good part would be the ability to do a "thanks, good job, good post" to a mod with one click, as opposed to a u2u. I think that might bring an interesting dynamic up there in moddum, and possibly even increase your desire to do it somewhat. And I'd be willing to bet the mods would be checking that event log just a tad bit more often. "What's this? Holy bejesus, Nygdan got like 75 applauses this week." And what's great is that all those in moddum have transcended silly jealousy games due to incredibly smart attributes, and instead would likely turn it into light competition for more member applauses. To be a better mod! Like we try to be better members!

Hell, we're only human. We all like applause. Makes ya feel like ya did something good, even though you don't know what it was for. But aight. I rest the case. Have a pleasant evening.

edit: added one forgotten word.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by TrueAmerican]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join