It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOW do we keep cool? How do you make a homemade airconditioner?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Its not worth me buying an airconditioner, because we get 2 weeks of very hot weather and the rest of the time its cool here.
Does anyone remember that thread last year where you could rig up a fan to become an air conditioner?
It would have to be simple- I'd be making it.

Anyone?

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Before the advent of Air Conditioning (not really) for me, I used to take cool showers throughout the day. And if I had the opportunity to go anywhere that they had A. C., I would linger there, as long as possible. Supermarket, Movie Theater, Friends House, etc.

But if travelling outdoors is too much, or you don't have a car, I think the cool showers throughout the day works pretty well. And plenty of cold water to drink helps reduce body temperature as well.

But as far as rigging your fan, the only way I know possible, is if you happen to have a refrigerator or freezer that is not being used for food storage. Effectively making your own Air Conditioner, by pairing it with a fan. Not very efficiently I'd imagine, though.

[edit on 7/18/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
IT WORKS REALLY I LIVED LIKE THIS ALMOST ALL MY LIFE

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I remember that thread dg, but it looks like it would take a lot of work. I would just park a huge block of ice in front of a fan about 3 feet away from your favorite recliner.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
dg, I don't think you should go cheap here, go out and buy a real window A/C...I'm in New York and felt like I was an ant under a magnifying glass the few times I had to step out today.

Thank God for air conditioning is all I can say, I have no idea how people lived without it.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Hmm....It IS complicated.... I was spoiled in Arizona, because i had the air conditioning cranking there all the time.

All my windows are open and the shades closed and dark. I guess if it gets to be too much i'll just hop in the tub.

I also feel like i have bronchitis this morning....

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I'll be just fine (i hope)

Its Walmart here i come later, if things get too bad.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Take a few bedsheets, dunk them into cold water, twist them dry enough that they won't drip to your floor and then drape them around the room. Doesn't work very well if you're experiencing moist heat, but with dry heat it works quite well.

- Count, who "liberated" an old, movable A/C from work

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Count,

Good for you. Just look at it as having given the AC a good home.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If you've got a big enough freezer, place a couple of two litre bottles of water (half to two thirds full) in it, when frozen take them out and place them in front of a fan, it should keep you cool for a while!!

new topics

top topics

join