It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Joins China in Censoring Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
in.rediff.com...

Bloggers in India are getting together to protest against the sudden blocking of popular Google-owned blog-hosting site Blogger by some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) like Spectranet, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL), Reliance Powersurfer, Airtel Broadband and Sify.

On July 15, Mridula Dwivedi, a teacher of management studies in Gurgaon first discovered that visiting any blogspot blog -- such as, say Mumbai Help -- returned the message, 'Site Blocked!' Her ISP, Spectranet, confirmed they had blocked some sites based on government directives.

So now India is censoring. It was one thing when it was Communist China. It was almost expected. I'm not placing India as a pillar of democracy, but if it can happen there, why not here? I mean the US is allied with India to the point where weapons are being sold to them by us. If the US doesn't mind when a close ally censores info, what's to stop it from doing so itself.

BTW, I'm not blind. I see that the US is constantly censoring information, but this is just a point for those who don't believe it's happening.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Internet is becoming television...very sad.
Since It has the biggest informations.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Just wait until the two tiered internet comes into effect. It will become like TV, the voices of dissent will become mere echos of the original voice, lost amongst those who have the money and the power to put there point across as a priority.

All good things must pass

They are trying to kill our internet.

What are we gonna do about it?

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
What are we gonna do about it?

Nothing. Quite frankly, most who argue on the net are those who are too afraid to do it in reality...

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The net isn't just about arguing. If it weren't for the internet, we wouldn't know a thing about what's really going on in the world. It's obvious that TV isn't going to help us out. I pride myself on knowing countless pointless facts and trivia, just because of the internet.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
In the US they are doing all they can to push laws and regulations to get the same going as in China and India, but 10x worse since they'll also be using the methods used to filter and block to milk both sites and clients for more money.

Good thing there's no word in the EU (and any of its member nations), Eastern European nations or Russia about this kind of crap yet.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Who knows though, perhaps if this does happen, capitalism can actually work to save us.

Picture this; after awhile people grow to loath the 'new internet' and voila, according to the laws of capitalism, there may be some new startup internet provider that *GASP* will offer 'ye olde fashioned internet service' back for your pleasure once again.

I reckon it would be wireless, 'cause apparently the current providers are whining about having to provide all that copper, but then again wireless needs infrastructure too.

But; one must ask this 1 important question: What the hell are already paying for?!?!

Don't our millions of monthly internet bills count for Jack Squat?!
(unless of course the real goal is censorship, 'free' society style)

GSA

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
hear that? Listen ever so hard.....

Its the sound of a world wide communications blockade against the masses to keep us all in the dark so we believe their lies and hate those on the other side of the world with no questions asked because CNN told us the truth... And of course the goverment would never lie to you........ Never!

Now I love the net. I get ideas from all over the world for my writing and art, and am inspired from peoples from other cultures and races. I love being free. so should we all!

Its about time we stamped our feet and roared as one - lets get our freedoms sorted, lets get our world back, lets stop all this before its too late and we all sit in drab monochrome worlds with no freedom.

Think i'm being extreme/ the first thing to suffer under hitler and stalin was freedom of the press and information networks......

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
How are they supposed to be one of the biggest nations in IT but their internet is censored ? Thats makes me go WTF ?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
WiMAX Meshnetworking is coming soon. Decentralizing the 'net will make their efforts pointless. They tighten up the rules and regs, we fire back with better technology. They make the technology illigal, we buy the stuff on the black market. :shrug: The attempt to control the chokepoints of information is doomed to failure.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I dont know why but I can see some independent company launching sats for a new and improved internet. The benefits would be amazing and the pay back would be plentiful.

new topics

top topics

join